Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Long Trump
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off site I was asked for advice on buying silver & gold to protect against a currency crisis. This person had suddenly pulled his head out of the sand and become aware of the state of our financial system. He kept mentioning Ron Paul and that Paul was making a lot of sense.... Now this shocked me because this guy voted for King O, twice.

I had to do some internet searching and found this LONG infomercial by Paul for Stansberry Research and the book "America 2020: The Survival Blueprint". Be aware I am NOT endorsing this infomercial and this heads up is aimed at the majority of SB forum traffic, those who are searching the web and are not members. In fact, after looking for reviews, it was as I thought - a bunch of people had bad experiences when they paid for the book & newsletter from Stansberry. While I agree with almost everything Paul is saying, personally, I'd stay miles away from this offer for the reasons a lot of the reviewers posted. Do your own research before getting out your credit card. The reviews are in the 2nd and 3rd links below.

Here is the infomercial:

https://orders.cloudsna.com/chain?cid=MKT033949&eid=MKT037681&snaid=&step=start#/#AST03347#AST03347

The reviews:

http://reviewopedia.com/workathome/stansberryresearch-com-reviews-legit-or-scam/

http://chuck-bluestein.hubpages.com/hub/Ron-Pauls-2015-Financial-Advice

*** From one of the reviewers, the secret advice given in the book is to own farmland, your home, and rare gold & silver coins to protect against a currency crisis. Also to stash currencies of other healthy countries and to open an offshore bank account to move savings into.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for that info, I saw the infomercial but I wouldn't have bought anyway - just because I don't usually do that but now I know I'm not missing anything.

I think Paul has been making pretty well the same claims about the US debt since the 70's. :)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
*** From one of the reviewers, the secret advice given in the book is to own farmland, your home, and rare gold & silver coins to protect against a currency crisis. Also to stash currencies of other healthy countries and to open an offshore bank account to move savings into.
All advice that could be found here for free. Opening an offshore account is just begging for the IRS to be all up in your business. Stansberry is a con-man and should be avoided, too bad Paul is getting caught up in his silliness.

·
Long Trump
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... Stansberry is a con-man and should be avoided, too bad Paul is getting caught up in his silliness.
Yep. Stansberry has a bad history Paul should have known about. It didn't take me long to find out. My guess is Paul didn't make enough money on a politicians salary so he did this. He should talk to the Bill & Killery Inc big money machine on how to sell out America to foreign governments and corporations for profit from politics. :taped:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I watched the Ron Paul infomercial yesterday; I thought it was pretty good. Ron Paul was straight forward and to the point (I have always admired that about him). Paul is not a dooms-day kind of man, but he is openly warning people to "get ready" for the coming crash. That is probably something he could never really say while in congress. He says the crash will happen very fast and there will be absolutely no government warning. That is pretty much what Jim Richard says as well. Also, Paul wrote a forward to "America 2020: The Survival Blueprint". This book is not on Amazon so you have to subscribe to a news letter to get a hard copy. However, the book is in PDF format so if you do some searching online, you can find a free copy in PDF format online. In fact, I am reading it now; it is definitely worth reading. Some of the stuff he suggests in his book, many of us may already be doing but there are a few things I have never considered, like an off shore account or having a location outside the country to leave if necessary. He likes precious metals, especially junk silver. Basically, he suggests getting the majority of your money outside banks and if possible government regulations.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Has anybody actually read this book? It's about $100 to buy on ebay.

A lot of the people make fun of the Robert Kiyosaki stuff but it's pretty much dead nuts accurate.

One of the rules of investing is to run in the opposite direction of the masses.

Think about this, how many people bought Ford or Citibank when it was $1 in 2009?

Anyway I'm looking for more information on the book from someone that has actually read it.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
One of the rules of investing is to run in the opposite direction of the masses.

Think about this, how many people bought Ford or Citibank when it was $1 in 2009?
Buying after a dip or a reset isn't a genius move. I did and made a bunch of money during TARP and during the 1000+ point dive in 2010. I know several others that did this as well. It was an obvious opportunity, nothing more. Unfortunately, not everyone is capable of spotting or acting on an opportunity.

This is more subtle than simply going against the trend. It's not a struggle to find examples of people going against the trend and losing huge sums of money.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you want to know what caused the so called "income inequality". This was it.

In order to buy stocks at $1 someone had to be selling them at $1. The only people that had the money at that point were in large part wealthier cash flush people.

Imagine dropping just $1m on any one of those stocks and taking a 3500% profit in just two year.

I'm sure none of the "government insiders" tipped nay of their Wall Street buddies off.
;)

Anyway back to the book. Who has read it

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I was at the gym the other day, which is about the only time I see a TV screen playing, considering I don't watch it at home. So I was doing my normal workout routine, then I see Ron Paul on the TV screen saying something to the effect of (paraphrasing): Hello, I am Ron Paul. I was a US congressman for X amount of years; and I am here to warn you about the coming financial calamity to America. :eek: It was about a 2 minute commercial. Then I believe he was referring to this infomercial that he made. Sure, I see this kind of stuff online all the time, but I have never seen an ad like this on TV before. :headshake:

Ron Paul Ads Warn of Financial Crisis - WSJ

Edit: So if/when the financial SHTF, nobody can blame Ron Paul for not warning the people. :D:

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
When he mentioned the name Stansberry - that pinged my radar. There was a Stansberry in jail in Texas for something or other financially nefarious. Ordinarily, I would lean toward trusting the crusty old guy - but either Stansberry has suckered him too, or Ron has decided "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Even Jim Rikards is selling a newsletter these days.

Not saying the message is wrong, or that the advice isn't solid - it IS what we've all realized here, are our only choices (and perhaps we ought to look at that for gotchas, I dunno) and there ARE people who would be scared to come to a site like this who need to hear the message. After all - it's not NICE to think those things about TPTB - and like Santa, they know what you're thinking.....

LOL.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
I read Jim Rickard's book and after watching some videos with him being interviewed, came away with the sense that he is a nut. I do not, however, think Ron Paul is a nut. Anyone that has the critical thinking skills to predict the future based upon cause and effect (and Ron Paul did) is brilliant.

Reactions: Craigers

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
When he mentioned the name Stansberry - that pinged my radar. There was a Stansberry in jail in Texas for something or other financially nefarious. Ordinarily, I would lean toward trusting the crusty old guy - but either Stansberry has suckered him too, or Ron has decided "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Even Jim Rikards is selling a newsletter these days.

Not saying the message is wrong, or that the advice isn't solid - it IS what we've all realized here, are our only choices (and perhaps we ought to look at that for gotchas, I dunno) and there ARE people who would be scared to come to a site like this who need to hear the message. After all - it's not NICE to think those things about TPTB - and like Santa, they know what you're thinking.....

LOL.
It's the same Stansberry. He fabricated inside trader information and told people to buy based on that fabricated story. He was convicted. For a good read on it, see: http://briandeer.com/stansberry/stansberry-research-scam-1.htm

It is interesting that Stansberry said he saw the crash in 2008 beforehand but Schiff made a video blasting him and calling him a liar. http://briandeer.com/stansberry/peter-schiff-porter-stansberry.htm

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The issue with Stansberry and his supposed prior conviction means nothing to me. The way I see this, sometimes you can easily just get on the wrong side of the wrong person is all it takes. But let's say he did commit a non-violent crime, just because a person does something wrong and makes mistakes, does not make everything he/she says afterward null and void. If that person has information that can help me, I can still listen to what he/she says.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The issue with Stansberry and his supposed prior conviction means nothing to me. The way I see this, sometimes you can easily just get on the wrong side of the wrong person is all it takes. But let's say he did commit a non-violent crime, just because a person does something wrong and makes mistakes, does not make everything he/she says afterward null and void.
I guess I see it differently. It is not a supposed conviction. He was convicted and ordered to pay out. He also lost his appeals. When a person is caught lying and breaking the ethical rules, is unrepentant about their behavior, and tries to make money off of the people that trust them, I don't ignore it.

He may have some points that are true. Most con men do. But I wouldn't waste the time to try and figure out the truth, I would just ignore them.

Would you hire someone as chief accountant/bookkeeper with access to your accounts who just got out of prison for embezzlement? Essentially, it is the same thing. He defrauded people and took their money.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The issue with Stansberry and his supposed prior conviction means nothing to me. The way I see this, sometimes you can easily just get on the wrong side of the wrong person is all it takes. But let's say he did commit a non-violent crime, just because a person does something wrong and makes mistakes, does not make everything he/she says afterward null and void. If that person has information that can help me, I can still listen to what he/she says.
Greta, go google up Stansberry and his many many "videos" and "information youtube shows" and most importantly Agora investments out of Baltimore.

See how many times Porter Stansberry has been WRONG.

A few short years ago he was pushing Icelandic CDs and money markets, etc ..... look what happened to them.

Then it was "the end of america" videos with the end coming in the fall of 2011 or so.

The guy is a SHILL. SELLING THINGS that pay him MONEY. No matter how it is presented its a SALES PITCH. NOT "information" or some prescient prediction.

Ron Paul succumbed to the lure of EASY MONEY obviously now and is SHILLING, too.

Pathetic.

In another thread on Puerto Rican debt you say "that's why you don't let other people invest your money". WHY THEN would you spend one second of time and/or effort wasting brain cells reading a carnival barker like Porter Stansberry? Just because currently he plays to your preferred doom and gloom outlook.

Come on you are far smarter than this.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I guess I see it differently. It is not a supposed conviction. He was convicted and ordered to pay out. He also lost his appeals. When a person is caught lying and breaking the ethical rules, is unrepentant about their behavior, and tries to make money off of the people that trust them, I don't ignore it.

He may have some points that are true. Most con men do. But I wouldn't waste the time to try and figure out the truth, I would just ignore them.

Would you hire someone as chief accountant/bookkeeper with access to your accounts who just got out of prison for embezzlement? Essentially, it is the same thing. He defrauded people and took their money.
With connection to Ron Paul, all this Stansberry guy did was gave out some information about how to protect yourself before the financial SHTF. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the information is in a PDF format, and if you search hard enough it can be found on the web. If he was trying to get rich, he wouldn't have put the info in PDF. In fact, I found a free copy of it myself. Most of the stuff I read are things many of us are doing already so I don't see this being an issue.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
With connection to Ron Paul, all this Stansberry guy did was gave out some information about how to protect yourself before the financial SHTF. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the information is in a PDF format, and if you search hard enough it can be found on the web. If he was trying to get rich, he wouldn't have put the info in PDF. In fact, I found a free copy of it myself. Most of the stuff I read are things many of us are doing already so I don't see this being an issue.
His conviction was for lying in a newsletter that he did his typical snake oil con job selling for $1,000 for a supposed insider trading tip. He told them they were guaranteed to make money and they lost it because he lied. Not really much different than Bernie Madoff.

If pretty much everything he has is common sense or incredibly wrong (still waiting for the collapse of 2011) then why pay attention to him?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.