Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a list of firearms that I think are a good combination for a SHTF situation. This has been review and changed many times by me over the last year. Now I was hoping I could get some of you to review it and make some suggestions on possible replacements of certain guns or calibers or approval of the list. Thanks in advance.

Side note: I already own the 30-06 and Ruger 10/22 so I will be keeping those

SHTF main guns (These guns are the one I will stock 1000 plus round of ammo) Would buy these guns first

30-06 bolt action rifle (long range rifle use and hunting)
10/22 Ruger (small game use)
Mosin Nagant
Ak-47 (MBR)
12 gauge Mossberg 500 (Home defense and hunting)
9mm Glock 17 (Main side arm)

2nd choice SHTF guns (these guns I would have but not as much ammo maybe 100-500 rds of ammo)

Keltec Sub 2000 in 9mm
Marlin 30-30
.357 revolver
.22lr bolt action
.308 Mauser
Ruger Mark III handgun

Possible guns just to own for the fun of it

Black powder rifle
AR or other rifle that shoots 5.56
1911 clone handgun
SKS

I know it is a lot of calibers (12 different calibers on list) but I like guns and these are pretty much the guns I dream about owning. Probably will not buy anything other than the Main SHTF guns in the near future. Also if you could suggest what gun to buy next. I was thinking the shotgun (not 21 yet so don't suggest the handguns).

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't know about your state, but here in PA you must be 21 in order to purchase a pistol. If you are under the age of 21, you can have your parents purchase the pistol.

Having a 30/06 and 10/22 is a great start. Many dismiss the 22LR, but I would say it's a great little caliber to have. Especially since you have it in a semi auto that you can purchase hi cap mags for that rifle. You can train with it like crazy since 22LR ammo is still reasonably priced compared to everything else.

There are so many choices out there, just make a sound decision and you should do fine. Instead of the AK47, you should take a look at the AK74...ammo is very inexpensive right now...the AK74 is lighter...mags are lighter and so is the ammo. The 5.45x39 packs a punch and will allow you to shoot further than the 7.62x39 caliber.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
The .30-06 and Mosin do the same job. You could easily eliminate one or the other.

BTW, an AK is not an MBR. To qualify for that title, it would have to fire a full power rifle cartridge, and the AK fires an intermediate cartridge.

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
And don't forget one of the major rules of combat: Never attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber doesn't start with a 4.

Rick

·
Registered
263 Posts
Though i admire their toughness and cheap ammo I no longer own any com-block weapons as I hate their lousy ergonomics. Plus at least for the AK's they're no longer quite the smoking deals they were back when, you can get an AR for pretty much the same $'s. Also, very little domestic ammo is produced for them. If you don't stock all you ever need beforehand if the importation is blocked you'll not likely find another supply. I had good quality SKS and Moisin and disliked both very much though I will again admit thet are very capable weapons. They're both down the road with no regrets from me. YMMV

For your main list I would forget the Moisin as it essentially duplicates the .30-06 you already have. It you really feel you need an MBR get a .30-06 Garand, 1903 Springfield or 1917 Enfield and share ammo with both guns. (Being carefull regardi g pressure curves in the Garand) Though I would get an AR instead, if you like the AK get it and have fun. I'd also likely upgrade the 500 to a 590A1 instead and I'd add a Glock 26 or a Ruger.357 SP101 for CCW use to the main list.

That would give you a quite well rounded basic battery and anything you add later will be pure gravy.

I would strongly recomend going with an AR for you next rifle for one big reason, you can get involved with CMP shooting with it. It's great training and will really help you develop as a shooter. It's also a heckuva good time. Even if you get a non- standard AR, as long as it has iron sights you can shoot in matches under the match rifle class.

JMHO, Manny

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
rate my possible future vehicles:

lambo diablo
hummer H1 alpha
dodge power wagon
corvette ZR1

lol great thread.

·
The Owl is on the shed
420 Posts
If you live in an area that is known for ravenous, roving packs of poodles you may want to move that AR up in priority. Nothing says "dead poodle" better...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
And don't forget one of the major rules of combat: Never attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber doesn't start with a 4.

Rick
Dear Rick,

Much like the myth about witches being able to float with rocks on them, black cats cursing you if you cross there path, and other such non sense people believed in please don't propagate stories. It makes people fear things they have no idea about, and believe in witchcraft, that COD is a great training program to master leet skillz, and such BSery.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about your state, but here in PA you must be 21 in order to purchase a pistol. If you are under the age of 21, you can have your parents purchase the pistol.

Having a 30/06 and 10/22 is a great start. Many dismiss the 22LR, but I would say it's a great little caliber to have. Especially since you have it in a semi auto that you can purchase hi cap mags for that rifle. You can train with it like crazy since 22LR ammo is still reasonably priced compared to everything else.

There are so many choices out there, just make a sound decision and you should do fine. Instead of the AK47, you should take a look at the AK74...ammo is very inexpensive right now...the AK74 is lighter...mags are lighter and so is the ammo. The 5.45x39 packs a punch and will allow you to shoot further than the 7.62x39 caliber.
Thanks for the advice. My parents tolerate me owning guns but they are not going to be buying me a handgun. There is a better chance of the US debt becoming zero.:mad: I think I will be sticking with the Ak-47 because the guys in my group I am a member of mostly own Ak-47. I did consider the idea of the 74 I may buy later on.

@223shootersc I will deffinitly consider buying the Mark II great way to train cheaply with a handgun.

@MikeK I wanted the Mosin because I heard a lot of good things about it. Also the ammo is dirt cheap which allows me to train more.

@manny I don't care for AR that much they don't seem comfortable in my hands and I can't figure out why. I do plan on stocking a TON of ammo for the AK-47 and Mosin. I will research the 590A1 and I do like the Glock 26 would be a great conceal carry gun. I would also like to buy a Garand but for 800 dollars and only 8 rounds it will have to be a purchase in the future.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Kid you need the .22 and the Glock. The rest can wait. Save your money and take your time. There's about a thousand things you need to buy before you work that list down. From a good suit, to luggage, to a decent watch. Then the car, then gun number 3. If you get married in the mean time, just rip up the list.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good luck carrying all that stuff. Lets try this...........AR in 5.56........Glock 17...........a few replacement parts for both.......crap load of mags and bang bangs........a couple of ESEE-6 knives ( and dont forget the sharpener ) Lets see where this gets ya.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I have been working on a list of firearms that I think are a good combination for a SHTF situation. This has been review and changed many times by me over the last year. Now I was hoping I could get some of you to review it and make some suggestions on possible replacements of certain guns or calibers or approval of the list. Thanks in advance.

Side note: I already own the 30-06 and Ruger 10/22 so I will be keeping those

SHTF main guns (These guns are the one I will stock 1000 plus round of ammo) Would buy these guns first

30-06 bolt action rifle (long range rifle use and hunting)
10/22 Ruger (small game use)
Mosin Nagant
Ak-47 (MBR)
12 gauge Mossberg 500 (Home defense and hunting)
9mm Glock 17 (Main side arm)

2nd choice SHTF guns (these guns I would have but not as much ammo maybe 100-500 rds of ammo)

Keltec Sub 2000 in 9mm
Marlin 30-30
.357 revolver
.22lr bolt action
.308 Mauser
Ruger Mark III handgun

Possible guns just to own for the fun of it

Black powder rifle
AR or other rifle that shoots 5.56
1911 clone handgun
SKS

I know it is a lot of calibers (12 different calibers on list) but I like guns and these are pretty much the guns I dream about owning. Probably will not buy anything other than the Main SHTF guns in the near future. Also if you could suggest what gun to buy next. I was thinking the shotgun (not 21 yet so don't suggest the handguns).

let your terrain dictate what you need.

the caliber's are pending on your terrain but here's the min. weapons you need:

1 handgun
1 rifle
1 shotgun
1 .22 rifle and/or pistol
1 good air rifle

if you plan on going backpacking and/or make a BoB and your NOT going to be haveing a long gun then you will need 1, 357 for bears and such also you will need 1, .22 pistol for hunting small game if needed

my suggestions for a min. arsenal are:

1 pistol with a min. of 15 rounds
1 saiga 308 ( if a common military round and penatration is important) or AK47 (if your range is less than 300 yrds and cost is important),or ar15 6.5 grendel (if long range accuracy is important).anyone of these will surfice as a MBR and as a hunting weapon
1 12ga pump shotgun
1 22 rifle (10/22 is a good choice)
1 .22 pistol (for your backpack)
1 357 revolver (for your backpack)

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
Dear Rick,

Much like the myth about witches being able to float with rocks on them, black cats cursing you if you cross there path, and other such non sense people believed in please don't propagate stories. It makes people fear things they have no idea about, and believe in witchcraft, that COD is a great training program to master leet skillz, and such BSery.
Joking guys, come on, lighten up for Christ sake !!!! Geezzzze, such anomosity.

Rick

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
:thumb: --30-06 bolt action rifle (long range rifle use and hunting)
:thumb: --10/22 Ruger (small game use)
replace --Mosin Nagant with CMP M1 Garand
replace --Ak-47 (MBR) with Ruger Mark III handgun
:thumb: -- 12 gauge Mossberg 500 (Home defense and hunting)
doesn't matter -- 9mm Glock 17 (Main side arm)

you can reuse the Garand ammo after it's been reloaded a few times in the bolt gun pretty much forever

I'd get a CMP Garand next

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
-snip-- I think I will be sticking with the Ak-47 because the guys in my group I am a member of mostly own Ak-47.
you need better friends! (I KID! I KID!)

An M1 Garnad from the CMP will not cost you $800 bucks - and if you get into a fight needing more than 8 rounds more than a few times odds are your going to die so it won't matter too much what you have at that point

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I were you i woud get a AR15 before th AK. I have both, love them each. The AR has better range and is more accurate, th ak more reliale. Let me put it like this 150yards and under AK, 150 yds and out AR....30.06 can't be beat would make it a bolt action for sure....the most under rated calibur is the 22. Bening a police officer i have been to so many shooting, i haveseen guys dropped like a rock from 22 shot, the round ges inside and bouncesal over. A 357 mag revolver is awesomme,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts