Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The corsair survivor is a 'rugged' USB storage device, which boasts a milled aluminium case with rubber gasket that claims to keep the USB stick inside safe up to 200m under water, and claims also that it is "shock resistant".

http://www.corsair.com/products/survivor/default.aspx

Out of the package impressions; pretty bloody good.
It comes in typical blister packaging and includes a USB extension chord and a gimmicky 'dog tag' with the company logo on it.

It felt sturdy in my hand, and definitely felt 'special' - it is twice the size of other USB sticks- but is still light enough I felt.
It has a small hole at one end through which a lanyard could be attached (just wide enough to squeeze a single strand of 550 chord through it- it could be hung around your neck, but it seems a little bulky for that IMO.
It certainly felt like it would not fall apart if dropped and trodden on- and it feels like it probably would deal with a small car running it over, but i hasten to add that i won't be trying that out!

It is definitely strong enough to uphold to the sort of miss treatment it may be subjected to in one of our pockets- and would be quite comfortable in a BOB- even in the same pocket as a torch or water filter.

Upload speed was fine for my use- 9GB took around 15-20 mins to upload.
16GB gives 15GB of useable space- this is usual for USB drives (apparently its something to do with they way operating systems are programmed)
It doesn’t come with any pre-installed stuff which i find is nice, and saves a job of getting rid of it.

I will say that it is very 'round'- in that it will roll away from you, i feel that it would have benefited from hexagonal outer rings, rather then the round ones provided.

one thing to consider though; once it is out of its protective cocoon it is just as vulnerable as any other USB- if not more so due to its length.
So just be careful when it is plugged into your computer.

I bought mine for £39.39 + postage (16GB), and it seems like pretty good economy when you consider that I have been through several cheaper plastic USB memory sticks over the years- they just don’t last; I feel that this one will.

(I have found them online for around $44USD on amazon)

I think it is a pretty good design, and it now has a home in my BOB with all the irreplaceable documents off my computer, along with my stash of survival files downloaded off this forum.

Attachments

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Looks like a little USB time capsule. I wonder if you could bury it in the yard :D: Having a waterproof usb stick could be handy if you are in a flood-prone area. Although, I have regular usb sticks that have survived washing machine cycles with data intact.

Sandisk also makes the Cruzer Titanium- it isn't water proof, but it has a hard metal casing. I like the cruzers because the usb head retracts into the body of the unit, so you don't have to worry about losing caps.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a little USB time capsule. I wonder if you could bury it in the yard :D: Having a waterproof usb stick could be handy if you are in a flood-prone area. Although, I have regular usb sticks that have survived washing machine cycles with data intact.

Sandisk also makes the Cruzer Titanium- it isn't water proof, but it has a hard metal casing. I like the cruzers because the usb head retracts into the body of the unit, so you don't have to worry about losing caps.
sounds good- i wanted one that wouldn't break from general jostles and tumbles- the normal ones i get fall to bits quite quickly, i don't know if its just the way i mistreat them!

also, the waterproofness i like just for not needing to worry about rain/river crossings etc.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I got a Ironkey a year or so ago and have been totally impressed with it.

They are still the ones to beat IMO and will remain so for the foreseeable future due to all the inherent safety features, etc.

Ironkey USB drives are still very expensive IMO but the price keeps dropping and for the money you just cant beat them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts