Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm,

"Farming, Gardening & Recipes"? or "Health and Fitness"? Not sure I will post this here, I guess.

'Resveratrol' is a substance that I have been tracking for a few years. At first it was reported that red wine and blueberry consumption over came a long list of diseases.

Then a researcher isolated it to this one substance [resveratrol]. Then they figured out that this substance triggers a 'longevity gene' to give an extra 10% life-span, and along the way kicks auto-immune system into over-drive.

Then as I was doing my farming, I found that my bees really like this one vine weed. So I did some research on this weed: 'Japanese Knotweed' [Polygonum cuspidatum].

It turns out that Knotweed is loaded with resveratrol. So much loaded that it has became the number one source of medicinal resveratrol. hmm.

Then one day I was talking to a fellow farmer [we both market produce to a buyer's club], and I find that she has been fighting lymph cancer. They have her on a long list of drugs. I told her about my bees and how much they like this knotweed and it's effect on my honey. Well she told me that knotweed is one of the herbal supplements they have her taking to help combat her cancer. !!?!!

So I harvested some, dried it in the sun and put a handful in a pot with water and let it boil. The tea is not wonderful tasting, but it is not bad either.

I make my own tea here. We grow a couple tea plants [Camellia sinensis], from which green tea is commercially made, or Oolong tea, or black tea [it all depends on how you smoke them]; and we grow mint. So I have been mixing tea and mint for my own hot tea in the mornings and cold tea in the afternoons.

Now I have began including into the mixture some dried knotweed, for it's resveratrol content.

Any thoughts?

Anyone else doing anything like this?

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Japanese Knotweed... Interesting. Do you think the honey contains any resveratrol? I'm always leery when certain properties are isolated, but that knotweed is everywhere. Thanks for the info.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Japanese Knotweed... Interesting. Do you think the honey contains any resveratrol? I'm always leery when certain properties are isolated, but that knotweed is everywhere. Thanks for the info.
People have asked me that. I really have no idea if the honey will contain resveratrol or not. I just do not know.

But it is a weed, it grows like crazy, it is easy to harvest, it is easy to dry, ...

I have three plastic milk crates stuffed with vines now, drying. Once powdered I should have enough to fill at least one [maybe two] 2-pound coffee cans.

Only time will tell. From my research this may turn out to be one of the top 10 bestest herbs known to mankind. So I think that harvesting it is 'good'.

For now our knowledge is juvenile. The effects have only recently been discovered. Testing is still going on. In 20 years we will know much more about it.

A year ago, we were stocking grape skins, left over from making jam. Thinking that we needed to figure out a method to include them into recipes. If the best nutrient from a fruit is in the skin, we are stupid to throw the skin away, and we really should include the skins into a food item [like fruit cake].

But now, I find that an even better source of this nutrient is knotweed.

:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Might I suggest adding a little Calendula to your tea! We use many herbs and weeds in our salves that we sell at market. I am annig fan of knotweed,calendula,chamomile,and skullcap tea. Chamomile and skull cap take the edge off of a hard day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts