Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have 2 garage doors that are made in pieces. I believe they are styles and such, with narrow tangs along the boards to slide into another. Several panels have slid out of position.
I'd hate to throw throw them away.

Can i disassemble them on a large table and reglue 'em up with clamps?

·
reluctant sinner
17,473 Posts
Hard to say without good pic's. Is the wood still sound or it it dry rotted, soft/spongy?

A good handyman could fabricate any wood pieces that need replacing. Go look at some youtube vids on windows and door rebuilding. Big pipe clamps are very handy along with sawhorses with OSB tops. I have some harbor china clamp that fit on pipe I bought at Lowe's. https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-3-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-cast-iron-pipe-clamp-31255.html

You might consider adding a backing on the inside (3/8 plywood) of the doors to stiffen them up while keeping the outside looks original.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's perfect! The wood is pretty solid, just shifted out of wack and a few split panels. :thumb:

·
Registered
280 Posts
if the wood is sound, clean the joint's of any glue, dirt, grease, etc.. reglue the joint's and clamp, leaving the panel's to float in the grooves. you could use a sharp chisel to clean the joint's to bare wood... don't forget to check that the door panel's are square before setting up to let the glue dry. and be sure to use a good water resistant wood glue for this..

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I think you will have a hard time disassembling the style joints without damaging them. I think I would inject glue into the panel joints, center the panels and let it set up. I've done this on interior doors using a large gauge hypodermic needle.

Question: What would be the best, most weather resistant finish to put on an exterior stained wood door?
Currently I use Helmsman Urethane Spar Varnish.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I had a problem with only the bottom panel of my 16' door. A friend who is a master carpenter and builder took the rails and stiles apart carefully and rebuilt the panel. He was able to save the original inset panels. I know he replaced the bottom rail with treated wood. The upper rail was good to go. I don't know if he replaced any of the stiles or not as he took it home and did the work in his shop.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
if the wood is sound, clean the joint's of any glue, dirt, grease, etc.. reglue the joint's and clamp, leaving the panel's to float in the grooves. you could use a sharp chisel to clean the joint's to bare wood... don't forget to check that the door panel's are square before setting up to let the glue dry. and be sure to use a good water resistant wood glue for this..

A lot of people make that error when repairing frame and panel pieces.
It is definitely a good idea to not glue the panels in if they are solid wood. You want to give the panel room to grow and shrink without stressing the rails/stiles. If they are plywood they probably wouldn’t move enough to cause a problem and you might get away with glueing them in place.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,777 Posts
Don't forget to have the balance springs readjusted by a pro. Folks have been killed working on garage doors.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to create a table to set this all on and square it up and get on it after i do some other projects. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts