Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw the Sawyer and got excited until I saw it didn't filter chemicals and heavy metals.

So.... I'm looking for a straw-type/similar sized water purifier (cysts, bacteria, and viruses) that also removes chemicals and heavy metals... and is rugged enough to withstand getting dropped, thrown, stuff piled on it, etc. that could happen to a BOB in natural disaster, evacuation, home invasion, etc. Rechargeable or no battery preferred, and if there is a light bulb, prefer LED so it'll last a very long time and not break (storage/resupply). Also do not want chemicals (storage, resupply).

I've been looking, but it looks like everything I find is too fragile, doesn't do what I need it to do, and/or won't last very long. I have a 150 mile trek with little ones, on foot if the roads are closed/blocked. The rivers, streams, and wells are very polluted with agricultural and industrial chemicals/waste, and human/animal waste. We will probably need 5 gallons a day while on the move.

Cost is a very big consideration, so if I need to do get two items and use them sequentially, that might be acceptable, depending on weight and size.

What does anyone recommend?

Thank you, in advance.

·
Banned
30,720 Posts
I saw the Sawyer and got excited until I saw it didn't filter chemicals and heavy metals.

So.... I'm looking for a straw-type/similar sized water purifier (cysts, bacteria, and viruses) that also removes chemicals and heavy metals... and is rugged enough to withstand getting dropped, thrown, stuff piled on it, etc. that could happen to a BOB in natural disaster, evacuation, home invasion, etc. Rechargeable or no battery preferred, and if there is a light bulb, prefer LED so it'll last a very long time and not break (storage/resupply). Also do not want chemicals (storage, resupply).

I've been looking, but it looks like everything I find is too fragile, doesn't do what I need it to do, and/or won't last very long. I have a 150 mile trek with little ones, on foot if the roads are closed/blocked. The rivers, streams, and wells are very polluted with agricultural and industrial chemicals/waste, and human/animal waste. We will probably need 5 gallons a day while on the move.

Cost is a very big consideration, so if I need to do get two items and use them sequentially, that might be acceptable, depending on weight and size.

What does anyone recommend?

Thank you, in advance.
There are 2 notable filters for use with a Sawyer. The Platypus GravityWorks Carbon Element that sells for about $12-14. The Katadyn carbon cartridge sells for about $20. The Katadyn is refillable, but the Platypus is not.

Both are plastic and about as strong as a Sawyer is. They and the Sawyer can be crushed if you try hard enough. On the other hand they are light and that is important for foot travel. A steel filtration system may be very durable but there will be a notable weight cost, not to mention far more expense.

If you want serious durability then go with a complete Katadyn system. Expect to pay hundreds of dollars though.

There is no inexpensive, long lasting, very durable complete filtration system.

Also, there is no such thing as a toxin filter that lasts a long time, such as like a Sawyer does for biological threats. Toxin filters use activated carbon that gets weaker with every use until it must be replaced, either the carbon itself or the encased carbon cartridge. Where a Sawyer will go for millions of gallons a good portable carbon filter with barely filter a couple hundred liters at best. You will go through thousands of carbon filter replacements before you could wear out a Sawyer.

Straw systems are even more limited. Good straw systems that do everything you need well can only handle a few dozen gallons. They should be considered your last ditch option because they don't last long.

Reactions: Old fart
1 - 2 of 2 Posts