Survivalist Forum banner

reprofiling a old hickory-ish knife

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  West Kentucky 
#1 · (Edited)
I started out with an old knife that was just lying out in the shop, and I decided that it needed to be repurposed.:D:

I took masking tape and layed over the blade to get the outline, I don't really know what blade profile that I was going for, maybe like a drop point-spear point hybrid.:confused:

I then worked on the handle I believe it is made out of oak. I got the sharp edges off of the handle with some 80 grit sand paper. I then shaved down the sides on the belt sander. I got a little over ambitious and took too much off one side. WHOOPS. So I had to get a little creative and I put some ergonomics in the handles with some slight inward curves between the rivets.

Then came the blade. It was pretty easy, I used a cut off wheel to score and snap the excess blade. Then went to the belt sander, got the profile that I wanted, put an edge on it, and then polished out on the buffer, with 400 grit rouge.

I'm putting some vinegar on to darken the blade. I will post pics of that later.
p.s. sorry for the crappy pics. Have gotta get a new camera.

See less See more
#6 ·
Take some vinegar (white, Apple cider, etc) and heat it to a slow boil. Immerse the knife blade into the hot vinegar (it will fizz) until the blade turns a dark grey. Rinse thoroughly and scrub lightly with a greenie pad until you like the patina. This will only work on carbon steel BTW...

DomC

#11 ·
For an easy patina/etch use 1 part printed circuit board etchant ($9.99 at radio shack) to 4 parts water. Start with a 15 minute dip, then check it every 15 minutes until the patina is where you want it. This will give a darker gray patina. You can also use mustard for a yellowish-brown patina. The mustard can even be done after the PCB etch to put designs on the blade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.