Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Basket of deplorables
2,630 Posts
I think many are looking at this issue through something of a microscope. Even if there are laws on the books and the police can act the city attorney or district attorney will not file the charges. If they do get filed often the suspect will either get an extremely light sentence or told to not do it again. Society itself does not shun criminals they way we used to. Look around your own communities for those you know have spent time in the klink. How do people react to them? That can be very telling.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,969 Posts
IT IS all a matter of perspective.

In Michigan there is a LAW that "You shall not hinder, assault, strike, resist or otherwise impede an officer as he lawfully goes about his duties." A FELONY..

When I worked the city, and someone filed on a BG for the assaulting/resisting a LEO charge, the prosecutor asked:
Did anyone have to go to the hospital? Did any officer suffer an incapacitating injury? Did any officer have to go to the hospital for treatment? If so was the officer admitted? Did the officer have to leave work for any injury sustained?
SO
If the officer got the crap kicked out of him, but not that badly, the prosecutors office would deny the request because he never asked any questions about what happened to the arrestee, and figured that justice would have been done elsewhere... and usually that assumption would be correct. SO, in the city, unless you were in the hospital or had broken bones or had to take time off of work for more than that day, you wouldn't even bother filing the paperwork for the request. Too over loaded and just not that big a deal as far as crime rate was concerned.

Later when I was working for a northern prosecutors office I would see a warrant request for assault/resisting and would find that the officer wanted the warrant because as he was cuffing someone that person pulled his arm away, didn't want to be cuffed. No fight, no chasing, no swings on the officer, just the guy pulled away, and for that he was requesting a 4yr felony warrant... and some officers actually got upset they didn't get the warrant because a drunk guy tried to pull away??????

as I said it is all a matter of perspective.

No one calls the cops up here except for really serious crimes or accidents.
otherwise it is all self help and the local wannabe crooks know that so they try not to pizzz off too many people or they will be on a bone pile in the state forest.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nope. We stopped calling the cops. We watched people break into the house across the street, called 911 and told them the people were still IN the house. 30 min later we called again to tell them they were getting away with a truck load of stuff. An hour later, the cops drove by, shined a spotlight on the busted door without ever getting out of the cruiser and kept driving. We weren't the only people who called. Several people in the neighborhood had video footage and we all had the tag number. No one ever asked for either. The homeowners were furious and not a damn thing they could do about it.

Discounting the sheriffs deputy who lives a street over, The last time I saw the cops in my neighborhood was the summer of 2019 when they dragged the block captain off his porch and threw him up on the hood of a cruiser. He was just the first person they saw after a murder a mile away. The only thing that saved him was cameras showing he had been on the porch for most of the evening without ever leaving.

I don't know what the answer is, but in my neck of the woods, it's not more cops.
Well I'm lucky in my town but in bigger places as much as this will probably seem like useless advice,
Learn To Self Rescue!!!
Mindplay a scenario and see if you can handle it differently if you have to go it alone.
It's really hard though now days not to be worried about law enforcement actually causing the problem to be worse.
It's starting or promoting people to not get involved anymore and that would be a letter I would write and send to every department official, city council, Mayor and even state representatives explaining chronic behavior by police. They will have excuses but if you keep at it, it might be mentioned to the correct people
Just a suggestion but in big city, as well as I think I'm helpful in a bad situation I am afraid I wouldn't get involved without drawing unwanted attention

·
Indefatigable
20,523 Posts
Well I'm lucky in my town but in bigger places as much as this will probably seem like useless advice,
Learn To Self Rescue!!!
Mindplay a scenario and see if you can handle it differently if you have to go it alone.
It's really hard though now days not to be worried about law enforcement actually causing the problem to be worse.
It's starting or promoting people to not get involved anymore and that would be a letter I would write and send to every department official, city council, Mayor and even state representatives explaining chronic behavior by police. They will have excuses but if you keep at it, it might be mentioned to the correct people
Just a suggestion but in big city, as well as I think I'm helpful in a bad situation I am afraid I wouldn't get involved without drawing unwanted attention
I live in a minority neighborhood that votes blue, in a white state that votes red. How far do you think we will get?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you urbanites or burbians call the police anymore? How has it worked out for you?

There has been an increase in property crime in my area since C19. Many feel that more police is the answer.

What are your thoughts?

(No Cop Bashing Please)
In my immediate suburb I have called the police twice in the 10 years we’ve lived there - once about 5 years ago for a group of kids that broke into a large fight (about 20 involved in the street) - My wife called it in while I was at work and asked if I could hear the dispatch in the radio - told her no because police channels are encrypted and we can only talk to them on common channel banks - Several weeks later I called in a domestic incident between a younger couple I saw rolling around in the street in the exact same area. Both times the police were there within about 4 minutes but the station is only 1/2 mile away from my front door.

We found out later from our nosey neighbor (Sometimes they are valuable for things like this) that both incidents involved people that lived in a rental house on the corner of the street and just outside of the development - after that we saw the police patrol the area more frequently for a while.

Since then the only time I see the police in the development is when they are writing parking tickets every 3rd Wednesday of the month.

regardless we take steps to ensure our own safety no matter the level of police presence - We installed a deadbolt and purchased 2 security bars for the front and backdoor that are setup every night along with a trip alarm. We always make sure to keep the doors and windows locked even when we are home and a firearm is always safely stored but available. I need to get a few cut pieces of 2X4 to put on the top of the sliding windows to keep them in place and Im currently looking at motion alarms for the back door.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My last involvement with the po-po was 4 or 5 years ago when a befuddled elderly driver crashed into the front of the house across the street. Other than that, the creeping urbanization in the area hasn't quite touched me yet. I needed to replace the storm doors on the house and sprung for some heavy duty steel ones that you are not getting open short of tying a rope to them and attaching it to the hitch of a pickup. That and 3 noisy dogs in the house should be sufficient deterrent/warning of anyone seeking to penetrate my walls. In about 15 seconds I can have glasses on, flashlight in hand, and loaded pistol handy. In that case I am likely to be buck naked, which may well be a potent deterrent as well.

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Something I have noticed in the local Ring and Neighborhood apps are people suggesting making false reports to invoke a faster response or achieve better results. I regularly see:

"Tell them you think you saw a gun"

"Call CPS and say you suspect abuse..."

These are for minor situations like suspicious person or neighbor disputes. Pretty despicable but common practice.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,743 Posts
Something I have noticed in the local Ring and Neighborhood apps are people suggesting making false reports to invoke a faster response or achieve better results. I regularly see:

"Tell them you think you saw a gun"

"Call CPS and say you suspect abuse..."

These are for minor situations like suspicious person or neighbor disputes. Pretty despicable but common practice.
Oh yeah ... That will make every thing better ... 🙄🙄🙄

People in general wear me thin. When the black and white was in my driveway every damned neighbor thought the old man should drop whatever we are doing and deal with the most ridiculous BS ... I have never been as happy as I was when he took that thing back to the department and I picked him up and brought him home.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Glad my area is a lot less crime filled than where many of you guys live. Last time I can remember calling a cop out was about 30 years ago for a dispute with a neighbor. I've lived in small towns and rural areas the last 30 years.

Where I currently live I hadn't seen a police car on my road in years when one day I saw one so I flagged him down and asked him why there were so few patrols on this road. The sheriff said that there was basically no crime in my part of the county. Since we are fairly rural we have to deal with pests like skunks ect occasionally and he said every house had a gun and knew how to use it so thieves avoided out part of the county.
Turns out the sheriff department has to patrol every road in the county once a year to establish that they did indeed patrol all the roads and that was his annual patrol of the road.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,969 Posts
LAST TIME I actually called the police to come to my place up north
was OVER 42 year ago.
I was riding my motorcycle home from work and at about 0030 and 3 miles from my house a herd or deer decided they wanted to use the road at the same time.
I laid the bike down to slide through them instead of punching into them while upright. but left a trail of fiberglass from my bags and fairing about 60 feet long.

Called for them to take a report

·
Registered
621 Posts
We rarely call the police, instead we usually call the tow truck. The primary crime on my road is idiots trying to slide their cars on the gravel road. The tow truck is primarily used to flip their cars back over before towing them off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have two LEO living in the neighborhood (One next door) If anything happens in the neighborhood whoever is on duty will show up. I heard/saw two individuals in my workshop on night and had the wife call the dispatch. The dispatch stated it would be a while for someone to get there. My wife informed dispatch that it would be ok as I was on the way to keep them in the workshop. Dispatch told her that was not advisable and the wife told them that I was armed and if they tried to attack me they could just have the coroner respond and not worry about the police. Three cars were here within 3 minutes. including the neighbor officer and his K9 (love the dog). I think the individuals in my shop were more afraid of the dog than they were of my weapon or the police officers that responded.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,969 Posts
I have two LEO living in the neighborhood (One next door) If anything happens in the neighborhood whoever is on duty will show up. .... I think the individuals in my shop were more afraid of the dog than they were of my weapon or the police officers that responded.
THE CROOKS are ALWAYS more afraid of the dogs... 😁 (y)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I feel sorry for the neighborhoods some people here live in. I consider myself as my own first responder, but my conservative suburban county has a really good police department with a really good chief. They can be backed up by our really good sheriff's department. The average response time to priority one calls last year was 3.89 minutes. We have a great new Republican prosecutor who puts the bad guys away. We also have an active neighborhood watch and a neighborhood forum that the police public affairs person posts on sometimes to alert us of crime trends.

The national crime rating site Crimegrade.org gives my neighborhood an A+ rating for safety from crime. We have a little minor vandalism, probably kids, but that is about it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
In the small town I grew up in I called law enforcement only 3 times wanting them to actually respond as opposed to just getting something on record.

The first was a neighbor to the house I grew up in. He enjoyed heavy PCP usage after he ran out of beer, and one time decided to shoot the corpses walking around his house. After he decided to quit using his 357 magnum in the house he went into his garage and soaked the "giant antbed" (a post in the middle of the garage) in gas and set it on fire. We called the cops after hearing a dozen or so shots. They showed after we saw smoke, and we learned all this through the grapevine. Apparently the this guy, the dispatcher, and the responding officers were all good friends. The cops extinguished the fire and hung until the guy came down. No arrest, fine, charges, anything.

The second time I was driving to work in bad weather and nearly hit a mentally ill man riding bike around in the road. Small town, knows the guy, even if they don't know his name. His family either didn't or couldn't keep him from riding around, although every other time I saw him he was safely on the side of the road. I called it in, emphasizing that he wasn't being aggressive or anything, just liable to hurt himself and someone else because he has mental problems. I saw him a few days later riding on the shoulder of the road in a police high visibility vest. My guess is they picked him and his up, carried him somewhere to dry out, convinced him driving on the road is bad, and gave him the vest.

The third time was about a year ago. My guess is that the miscreants down the street tried to rob my drug dealing neighbor. We heard a few shots and saw one of the two miscreants running back down the road. Called it in. Despite the drug dealer only being a block away from the police station, it took about 45 minutes for an officer to respond, enter the back yard as I requested (our yard had access to two streets), get a more detailed report from me, then slowly drive past the place once and leave. Granted, if I have to have drug dealing neighbors, they were the ones to have. Except for the one shooting there were never any problems and they were polite the few times we interacted.

So I'm not bashing police, I am saying that unless things are truly bad I feel like we're on our own.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts