Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you urbanites or burbians call the police anymore? How has it worked out for you?

There has been an increase in property crime in my area since C19. Many feel that more police is the answer.

What are your thoughts?

(No Cop Bashing Please)

·
Indefatigable
20,534 Posts
Nope. We stopped calling the cops. We watched people break into the house across the street, called 911 and told them the people were still IN the house. 30 min later we called again to tell them they were getting away with a truck load of stuff. An hour later, the cops drove by, shined a spotlight on the busted door without ever getting out of the cruiser and kept driving. We weren't the only people who called. Several people in the neighborhood had video footage and we all had the tag number. No one ever asked for either. The homeowners were furious and not a damn thing they could do about it.

Discounting the sheriffs deputy who lives a street over, The last time I saw the cops in my neighborhood was the summer of 2019 when they dragged the block captain off his porch and threw him up on the hood of a cruiser. He was just the first person they saw after a murder a mile away. The only thing that saved him was cameras showing he had been on the porch for most of the evening without ever leaving.

I don't know what the answer is, but in my neck of the woods, it's not more cops.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,738 Posts
Well when someone kicked in my front door and robbed me the police were very clear: You're never getting it back.

I was mugged at the corner, beat up the mugger and he ran off. Police were clear: we're never catching this guy. Then he gave me a ride to the mall. They were very nice about it.
Two times my husband was irrational (head injury) and one time they were awful to me, the other time they were very kind and sympathetic.

It's a crap shoot. But I live in a city of millions.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the answer is, but in my neck of the woods, it's not more cops.
Fortunately I live in a very good neighborhood

I won't hesitate to call the cops either. Here where I live cops will actually do something and even compliment you if you help out!
In the last year we have a lot of new crime coming in and preying on the fact that these neighborhoods have had such low crime for so long that they don't do things like lock their car doors or remember to shut the garage door etc.. A lot of that mentality is from naivety and inexperience since most of the people here come from money.

I think they associate police=catching the bad guys and putting them away for good and getting their stuff back. That has never been the case in my experience. I also think they have better things to do than babysit people's belongings and filling out endless paperwork when people don't secure their belongings..

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,738 Posts
My Dad always said "If you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all".

SO I will say very fond of Houston Police Department and my county constables. And I will leave it at that even though I am itching to type it all out. :LOL:

Reactions: 44 Guy

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,732 Posts
Expecting cops to be miracle workers is a tall stretch when the advantage clearly goes to the criminal. Fortunately most criminals are really stupid

The main reason I don't hesitate to call the cops is to get things "on report". There are multiple reasons for this!

I will agree though, its your own responsibility to secure your own belongings and don't do the things that invites the criminal element. Like leaving your garage door open or car unlocked.

I have run a few people off at gunpoint and others took off running when they saw the gun

·
statists' be statin'
3,424 Posts
I live in a very nice, very rural area. Things would have to be very strange for me to call the police. I'm not at all anti police. I'm glad we have police. Most of the police I have met are perfectly fine people. I've met a few jerks but I've also met jerks in other professions.

It's just my experience that calling the police rarely makes things better and rarely makes life easier. Involving the police always makes things unnecessarily complicated.

·
Basket of deplorables
2,633 Posts
Nope. We stopped calling the cops. We watched people break into the house across the street, called 911 and told them the people were still IN the house. 30 min later we called again to tell them they were getting away with a truck load of stuff. An hour later, the cops drove by, shined a spotlight on the busted door without ever getting out of the cruiser and kept driving. We weren't the only people who called. Several people in the neighborhood had video footage and we all had the tag number. No one ever asked for either. The homeowners were furious and not a damn thing they could do about it.

Discounting the sheriffs deputy who lives a street over, The last time I saw the cops in my neighborhood was the summer of 2019 when they dragged the block captain off his porch and threw him up on the hood of a cruiser. He was just the first person they saw after a murder a mile away. The only thing that saved him was cameras showing he had been on the porch for most of the evening without ever leaving.

With all of your anti-police posts this is somehow credible? I'm calling some serious Bravo Sierra here.

·
Just trying to learn
171 Posts
We live in a small town with little crime. The cops here a very community minded. With that said we had a shooting on our front lawn about a year after we moved in; drug deal gone bad. They used the area to meet up because it was dark an quiet. Got to know the cops pretty good after that one.

The one thing that did impressed me is that the cops showed up the next morning to 'clean up the mess' from my lawn. I was just getting ready to go out and do it myself.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
In the closest city, the police will not deal with property crime for residents
Businesses, yes, to a lesser degree, to the point that there is a free-for-all on shop-lifting
General disinterest in property crime
I get that
I believe they do the best they can and it is a crime-triage deal

My daughter lives in that city, goes to college in that city, and works in a grocery store to help pay for college
Recently, she was the manager on duty and took a picture of the license plate of a shop-lifter
He got out of his car and grabbed her and started to drag her
This was witnessed by two of their regulars, a large man and a woman, not a couple
The man tossed the guy down on the pavement and the lady drew on him and said she would shoot him if he persisted
Multiple 911 calls from multiple people and the police came in about 15 minutes
Zero interest in the battery on my daughter
Thank God for good and decent people and an armed citizenry

They also do not get involved in mask beefs over enforcement of the mask ordinance in town
They find it both annoying and a waste of time
The city officials as a general matter are butt-hurt about that
I do not blame the police for ignoring the mask ordinance

I did run across a body in town a few months ago, apparently heart attack or stroke, and they showed up quick as it could have been a homicide victim

Here, out in the stcks, the response time for the sheriffs is around 45 minutes on average, from what I am told and what is reported, so for crime emergencies, you are on your own
They will not come for property crime as I understand it
You can go and report it
So, out here, there is no point of even calling unless someone gets shot, I suppose
Thankfully I have never had reason to call the local LEOs and hope it stays that way

·
Adventurer
996 Posts
I’ve lived in my now home for 3 years and the only time We dealt with the cops was when an obviously crazed drifter was walking down my very busy street and decided to take a break right where at my driveway entrance......

My driveway is over 400 ft from my house, so We never knew he was there until leaving the house to go somewhere and we ran into 2 cruisers and 3 cops surrounding the man on in my front yard.

So they get an A+ from me, they took care of my problem without me even knowing.

When my mother in law complains about me wearing a gun while around the house I just remind her of that incident.

Even in a neighborhood of million dollar homes a random weirdo can show up at you place seemingly out of nowhere.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Rarely bother with calling the cops anymore...they are under manned, under budgeted and stretched paper thin. Often times there is very little they can do anyway for anything other than a murder, the time and resources just aint there for them.

I do see a lot of crime going on here and I do document it and take notes of who what when where and how. If asked I will provide the police with everything I know and then some. I wont deny the fact that there has been a little vigilante justice going on here in the neighborhood. Its been a lot more effective in curbing crime here as a result since the criminals fear the people more than they fear the police. There hasnt been very many vehicle break ins or thefts here of late and not too many drug deals going down in the parking lot anymore. Domestic violence and assaults here are pretty common but they involve willing combatants and not of a random nature.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,812 Posts
Fortunately I live in a very good neighborhood

I won't hesitate to call the cops either. Here where I live cops will actually do something and even compliment you if you help out!
Same here. The local PD is pretty much on the spot. Perhaps even faster since they were discouraged from working traffic for quite some time.
The result is 'Covid" driving. I heard recently that while driving was down 40%, traffic fatalities are up by 20%. Add a little snow and people are driving like maniacs around here.

·
Storyteller
2,217 Posts
Meh. We used to call in "shots fired". Dispatcher was polite. But without the car/plate/shooter drivers license number/nothing happens.

Had a naked crackhead on the porch trying to break in. Told the dispatcher to hurry or there would be a mess to clean up. 10 min later, the cops showed. I get it. Crime is thru the roof.

So, we rarely bother anymore except for ambulance dispatch owing to a road accident. Not the cops fault for the most part, city gov't, certainly..

So - just saying, if you want to visit Anchorage, don't think for an instant that it is any safer that LA/Seattle or anyplace else - it is not.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts