Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Felines
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm Felines... Nice to meet you all
Do ya like that word I used in the title? I think I used it wrong but seemed like it fit just fine... (Tried to make myself sound smart here cut me some slack will ya lol jkjk tell me if I was wrong)
Any who I like to change up/upgrade items in my EDC BOB every 2 years... I have it with me literally... EVERYWHERE I go... :eek::
In my backpack I have Protein bars, a LifeStraw, fire kit, fishing kit, sewing kit, hygiene kit, med kit, multitools, knife & machete, paracords, 2 torches 500 lumen each, a 250 lumen headlamp, light weight warm clothes, a fleece and some other travel aids.
Planning on replacing a lot of things.. where can I find a knife/machete made of good Steel.. I want my blade to not chip after 50 uses or dull up easily (yes I have a blade sharpener too). I would like it if you guys can link/list cool tools and gadgets you could think of so I could replace/add to my items.
Also let me know if that is a good lot of things I have listed or... just things taking up space.. my backpack is 45L-50L I think and do tell me what not to carry.
(Don't worry about my budget)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Where you headed to?:rolleyes:

If you have the money, maybe think about obtaining either a Gränsfors Small Forest Axe or their Scandinavian Forest Axe along with either a Silky Katanaboy or their Silky BigBoy. The Silky's will take the place of your "usual" bow saw.;)

Myself, I have the Gränsfors Small Forest Axe but the Scandinavian axe is a tad better, if you have/use a base camp. I don't have a Silky but sometimes I sure wish I had one. Between a bow saw & a chainsaw, I usually have things covered BUT--.

Get your butt out there and find out what you need for whatever you're doing. Just look at the 1st time as a shake-down cruise and gut it out - learning from doing, isn't out of style yet.

·
Felines
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where you headed to?:rolleyes:

If you have the money, maybe think about obtaining either a Gränsfors Small Forest Axe or their Scandinavian Forest Axe along with either a Silky Katanaboy or their Silky BigBoy. The Silky's will take the place of your "usual" bow saw.;)

Myself, I have the Gränsfors Small Forest Axe but the Scandinavian axe is a tad better, if you have/use a base camp. I don't have a Silky but sometimes I sure wish I had one. Between a bow saw & a chainsaw, I usually have things covered BUT--.

Get your butt out there and find out what you need for whatever you're doing. Just look at the 1st time as a shake-down cruise and gut it out - learning from doing, isn't out of style yet.
Haha I like that last part you said. And it isn't my first time.. I've been doing this since I was 11 (Maybe I'll make a new thread about how I started and or etc...) but yeah I think I'll check out the Scandinavian Forest Axe... And I'm not headed anywhere at the moment... There are times where I like to wonder off to forests, or big campsites and just venture alone with no food and water so I can fish/hunt and find water myself.

·
Registered
153 Posts
And I'm not headed anywhere at the moment... There are times where I like to wonder off to forests, or big campsites and just venture alone with no food and water so I can fish/hunt and find water myself.
That's why your so short and weigh less than 100#s:D:

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Dead batteries happen & when all else fails a compact hand crank USB charger is a lifesaver.
Only cost around $2.25 from China if you have the patience to wait on slow shipping.
USA suppliers of the same thing for around $6, if not.

Check eBay for either

·
Felines
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dead batteries happen & when all else fails a compact hand crank USB charger is a lifesaver.
Only cost around $2.25 from China if you have the patience to wait on slow shipping.

Check eBay for either

Oh that's right I forgot to mention I had one of those.. And thanks! I do have to replace mine ways.. I also happen to have a bunch of powerbank a (15000mAh and 20000)

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Okay. Will you explain the difference? (I know I can search but just asked for the sake of convo!
The main difference is that the sawyer is a filter system that you can plug into a container or a length of tubing, which makes a huge difference if you ever found yourself laying down in the mud about to slid face first into a stream trying to use the lifestraw. The life straw is just a straw, you can't use it any other way but with a source of water six inches from your face.

The sawer mini has much greater service life, and a finer filter.

There are several threads on this here that I don't have the time to hunt down but there is a clear consensus on the matter. The only thing the lifestraw has going for it is its name and marketing. Sawyer mini just doesn't sound as cool as "Life Straw"

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts

Check eBay for either

I just wanted to let you know that I find your posts on gadgets and dodads very helpful. You always have the coolest stuff.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,875 Posts
Just my suggestions

Limit to 1 headlamp. skeeter Head Net, Silva ranger compass, map, couple ways to keep cell phone charged, am/fm compact sports radio w/earbuds, DEET, dental floss, sail needle, Sawyer 0.2 micron filter, SS 1 liter water bottle, 2 cheap water bottles, iodine purification tablets, 2-Datrex lifeboat ration blocks , military grade poncho, military Goretex Bivy bag, woobie or sleeping back, lightweight water repellant jacket and slacks, wet wipes, TP, P-38 can opener, Rebar multitool, fishing kit with tied flies and fly leaders, lots of extra hooks and steel leaders. pepper spray, ACR PLB emergency locator beacon in case you are injured and in a critical situation.
Pick 2 or 3 of the following : parang, Condor Matt Graham's jungle primative, Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel, Schrade extreme survival knife of your choice. lose the machete.

First aid kit starting with a waterproof adventure medical kit and adding the missing stuff you think you need. Tweezers, Benedryl, Personal prescriptions, SWAT tourniquet, duct tape wrapped on a credit card, electrical tape, super glue, a water proof container (like a 35 mm film canister) of salt, baking soda, a couple commercial snares and or a leghold trap or conibear. Eyeglass cleaners if you wear glasses, jewler's loupe magnifier, .22 target pistol of allowed by local law, spoon and fork, manicuring scissors, minichamp SAK, roll of bankline instead of paracord, 2 bic lighters, cotton dry tinder, 1 peanut lighter and small vial of lighter fluid, a few lockpick tools, one of those small hacksaw blade holder saws, wash rag, alum crystal to prevent chafing and stink, hat with brim, gloves you like from Home Depot, some decent sized Safety pins, some SS lock wire, large bandana or 2, spare wool socks, hiking boots if you normally wear dress shoes, maybe $100 in currency in a waterproof tube or small flashlight handle. Water bibb key to get water from commercial taps. maybe a can of corned beef hash or a few single serve spam pouches. Maybe an MRE or a mountain house meal, canteen cup, some coffee or tea, a few instant oatmeal pouches and a few instant hot chocolate or dried soup mix pouches.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,875 Posts
I disagree. I have a lifestraw in my EDC and a Sawyer for my EWLS/INCH bag.
I think it was Zeke that raised other concerns about the Lifestraw. namely the lack of testing cited and published performance specs. Unless I am confusing this with another filter.

·
Live Free or Die
3,864 Posts
I think it was Zeke that raised other concerns about the Lifestraw. namely the lack of testing cited and published performance specs. Unless I am confusing this with another filter.
I haven't heard anything about that. I have had good luck with them. I have one for my EDC, and one in my car kit. They are awkward to use, but very small and light.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts