Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older 870 Express with a 18.5" barrel that's a shooter, as much as a working shotgun can be, I suppose. With its rifle sights and rifled slugs I'm happy with its precision out to 25-30 yds, but I mostly put 7-1/2 or 00 through it. The only time I've ever had problems with it was when I tried to fit a longer barrel from a newer Express model on it--it didn't cycle well or extract consistently.

The problem I'd like to fix is the rear sight. Here it is adjusted for slugs in the 30-yd range. It's dead on as it sits... but it's hanging way out off the front of the ramp. Is there a taller sight that I can buy so that I can back it off down the ramp and not have to worry about it hanging up on stuff?

I went looking for 870 forums, but none of them are very active.

·
Curmudgeon
1,743 Posts
I think you're adjusting your rear sight too high, and not using the slug arc to its full advantage.

My 870 Express is sighted in at 100 yards, and is also "on" at @20 yards (shooting to sight line) and is nowhere near the end of the sight ramp.

Attached is a ballistic chart for a 437.5 grain slug traveling at 1650 fps. Notice the trajectory of the slug. (the chart is not mine, I just grabbed it from the net) Notice where "A" is, and where "B" is. The slug crosses the sight plane twice.

Personally, I don't think you need a taller sight. I think you need to start over.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be. I didn't adjust the sight, just used it as set--my younger brother gave this shotgun to me several years ago.

This is an HD gun and one I bring along shooting clays for when I want an extra challenge... or to blast rabbit clays at close range. I don't depend much on the sights for that, but since they're there I want them to be functional. I don't anticipate a need to launch slugs 100 yards, but if I can lower the sight, use the slug trajectory, and still consistently hit stuff inside of 50 yards, that would be good.

I'm planning to sight in a .308 this weekend. I'll take the 870 and try that out, thanks.

·
Curmudgeon
1,743 Posts
Good luck then. Back the sight all the way down, and then see where its hitting at @25 yards. Then ease it up a bit till you get it where you need it. I went down and got one of mine out and this is set for 100 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,646 Posts
1. Should be, try Brownells.
2. Post #2
3. You can build it up and dremmel it to shape
4. Your need a new barrel, but I chipped a (refinished) model 12 (all model 12's are take down) to use as a.motorcycle trip longarm (I sometimes camped in some very rural areas) and it was legal in all 50.
Could keep slugs on chest sized steel offhand out past 100 easily.
It was quick, and NS.

I'm concerned with you "being happy with its precision out to 30 yards"
Do you mean with slugs?

Should be doing much better than that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm concerned with you "being happy with its precision out to 30 yards"
Do you mean with slugs?
Yes, with slugs. I've got a Benelli for longer ranges. I only put slugs through the 870 to see how it would perform. I don't think I put paper out past 30 yds when I was shooting them, just because it has a 18.5" barrel and I'm not depending on it for 100-yd shooting. I've never needed a shotgun to shoot a slug--well, at all, really--but certainly not outside of relatively close ranges. That's why I have rifles. My goal for this thread was really just to find a way to remove this snagging point on my barrel and keep what accuracy I have.

However, since we're talking about it and I'm looking at the chart @Jlrhiner posted up, I may just see if I can get it to land slugs on a 2' x 2' target at 100 yds consistently. I might as well see how well I can shoot with it outside of typical ranges for this gun.

·
reluctant sinner
17,458 Posts
I have an express made around 1990. I cut the barrel back to 20" and installed a screw in choke to share with my cut down H&R single shot. I put a mid bead in the rib to serve as my rear shooting my Lyman sabot slugs. It has a pistol grip and an extended magazine. The sling carries 10 extra rounds.

I can hit 3# coffee can at 90 yards with the slugs. 3" factory shells I like the 18 copper plated OO or the 41 pellets of buffered #4 buck. The 2 3/4 shells I load are 3 3/4 DE with 1 1/4 oz of shot/slug.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to the range today to put my .308 through its paces. I did OK with it, for its first first time out. I also brought my 870 and two slugs, thinking I could get some more at the range. Well... they were out. So I had two chances to get it right. And I had a big "huh" moment.

I slid the rear sight back to about where Palma put the arrow in the photo above and tightened it down. I put the target out to 50 yards--because I figured if I started at 100, I'd just miss the paper completely and waste a round--and put I big ragged hole near my POA. Huh.

So then I sent the target out to 100 yards and let my last slug go. Couldn't see the hit, and figured I'd missed. I brought the target back in, and there was a tighter ripped hole about 6" left of the first one. Huh.

It never occurred to me to try to shoot something 100 yards away with this thing. It's absolutely one of my favorites for its simplicity and versatility... and now I like it even more. Thanks for listening. I guess I should have played with the sight years ago.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just have to ask... Were you sight across the very top of the front site ?? I've seen that done before.

I think someone makes an extension ramp for the Remington ramps. The extension ramp mounts to the barrel ramp and your site mounts to the extension. Pretty extreme, but available, I think.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I'd move the rear sight back so it's completely on the ramp, and check the point of impact at various distances.

If it needs further adjusting, change the height of the front bead.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
...It never occurred to me to try to shoot something 100 yards away with this thing. It's absolutely one of my favorites for its simplicity and versatility... and now I like it even more. Thanks for listening. I guess I should have played with the sight years ago.
Recently I watched a video of @hitchkok45 put 16 of 20 slugs into a small table top with a Benelli with an un-rifled barrel and rifle sights at 230 yards. Pretty good shooting, I thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts