Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
American
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Happy 4th of July! Hats off to our founding fathers for giving the Brits the bird and creating our great country. Let us keep this country from falling to the hands of totalitarian ruler.

I'm looking to replace my Ruger LCP 380 with a Sig P229c 40S&W. I am familiar with the controls of the Sig as I own a couple of Sigs. I have carried my LCP for 4 years, it has served me OK with some drawbacks.

Occasionally, the LCP will show its print in my right pocket with the holster in place. Pretty common when I wear thin fabric or a pair of well worn jeans. Once a while, the magazine will pop loose. It does that when the magazine is full and I'm wearing Levis 501. Having the magazine pop loose unexpectedly will not suit me well in a self defense situation. No occurrence of loose magazine when it is in my cargo pockets or when I'm wearing relaxed fit pants.

I like the appeal of P229c because of its non snag feature, full grip, and shorter barrel than my P229. I can use the same magazine for both pistols. With a P229c, I'll have more rounds and more stopping power than my LCP 380.

My question is: Those who have carried P229c everyday, what are you thoughts about your Sig? I imagine you have to carry it IWB for conceal carry. What IWB do you use? Type of clothing do you use to cover? Overall, how do you like to your P229c?

·
What hell, pay attention
8,146 Posts
Didnt have the P229C when I had my SIG's, but I carried a P226 or P229 IWB (I pretty much carry everything IWB) for a number of years. Both were comfortable to carry and both carried/concealed well.

I used either a Blade Tech IWB (summer) or a Milt Sparks VMII (winter for a little while) at 4:30. All thats needed to cover them is something like an untucked cotton shirt, or a sweatshirt/fleece, depending on the weather.

These days, I carry a Glock 17 AIWB, so if I were still using SIG's, it would likely be a Blade Tech Ambi Klipt in that position. In that case, one of my normal tee shirts would serve fine for summer wear.

·
American
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didnt have the P229C when I had my SIG's, but I carried a P226 or P229 IWB (I pretty much carry everything IWB) for a number of years. Both were comfortable to carry and both carried/concealed well.

I used either a Blade Tech IWB (summer) or a Milt Sparks VMII (winter for a little while) at 4:30. All thats needed to cover them is something like an untucked cotton shirt, or a sweatshirt/fleece, depending on the weather.

These days, I carry a Glock 17 AIWB, so if I were still using SIG's, it would likely be a Blade Tech Ambi Klipt in that position. In that case, one of my normal tee shirts would serve fine for summer wear.
AK103, good info. I will check out these holsters you listed.

·
American
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to change two things

1. replace LCP with Kahr CM9 ( or PM9 if you're flush with cash )
2. get a Braids pocket holster

WTR100, thanks for your suggestion. I'm set on the P229C for K.I.S.S. reasons and will have it shortly. Kahr CM9 is a fine looking pistol.

·
American
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You just need to file the mag release down a little bit on the LCP. With your tight pants it is getting pressed.
There were times I get paranoid that my LCP 380 was showing its print on my pants. It was more obvious when I'm holding my phone and I'm sitting on a folding chair at a BBQ event, or at a conference where there's nothing to cover my lap like a desk or a table.

I think with the IMB mount, I won't have to worry about my P229C print on my waist when I'm sitting or walking.

·
American
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your only issue with the LCP is printing then carry it a different way, a 12oz gun carried IWB is going to be a whole lot easier than a 30oz gun IWB
I am aware of the weight difference and I'm going to give it a try as soon I have received my order of Alien Gear IWB holster 3.0.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So I'm guessing you don't have a job if you are switching from pocket carry to IWB?

Seems like an extreme change because frankly, if you do have a job I don't see IWB of a p229 as a viable option and suspect it will only actually be for occasional carry on the weekends and such.

But hey, to each his own.

·
2B1ASK1
857 Posts
I CCW and Open carry my Sig P226 Extreme. My CCW holster is a KingTuck IWB and it's awesome. I use a Sig holster for open carry. I've owned both the P229 and P226. I would go with the P226 just because it can hold more ammo.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Outstanding Idea to change, Bigger is Better.

I have several LCPs and it is a "keep them off of me till I can run away" Gun.

The 229c is for serious social occasions.

Jungle Work

·
American
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I'm guessing you don't have a job if you are switching from pocket carry to IWB?

Seems like an extreme change because frankly, if you do have a job I don't see IWB of a p229 as a viable option and suspect it will only actually be for occasional carry on the weekends and such.

But hey, to each his own.
I work in construction so it's not ideal to carry IWB or pocket. Firearm is always in the car when I'm working and on me when I'm not working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts