Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
population control
67 Posts
I see you have one of those pen fishing poles, how does it perform? How much fight or weight does it seem like it will handle? I also have a packable rod and reel but mine is a brand name and much larger than the pen. I keep checking into to them but have never bought one. Maybe I should....

·
Never Ready Enough
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see you have one of those pen fishing poles, how does it perform? How much fight or weight does it seem like it will handle? I also have a packable rod and reel but mine is a brand name and much larger than the pen. I keep checking into to them but have never bought one. Maybe I should....
Passable for Trout, caught a couple of 2-3lbs.
Not really a substitute for a real pole, but you can cast with it and it is surprisingly sturdy, can bend it all the way back on its self and does not break.

The trout casting reel is the main gear, if it came to it I think I'd cut a better pole or just hold the reel and hand cast. Beats using an empty beer can with line wrapped on it.

All of the bags have extra 5 and 15lb test line, sinker and hook assortments.
The at home under the bed bag also has a MIST net, and nylon net hammock.
Both of these would be better if it came to it to set up a trap or do some drag netting (I'd use junk like old soda bottles, or make some wood floats).

That bigger bag aslo gets tossed in the car when we go camping in place of my GHB.

The GHB is all packed in the Maxpedition Jumbo with enough for the 40 mile trek across LA I'll face if I ever get caught at work.

Pretty light my GHB I've taken it on a few 20 mile hikes in the Santa Monicas and the sling is actually pretty comfy with the waist belt on- it rides like a butt pack and most of the minimal weight is on my hips not my shoulder.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i have a go tub with diff food stores to last 14.days of three meals a day along with camping gear and cooking gear and plates cups and spoons to camp and cook out and keep myself clean .for i figure if something happens in the area iam at i can stay holded up for at least 14 days before i have to leave by then it should have blown over enough for me to be able to get out of town without a lot of problems ...

the tubs are design for if i need to walk in and have to leave the camping and cooking gear i can ..for the food tub have the printed out hard copy road maps system of every road in southern ca road system from main roads to back roads in and around the city of los angles area ..also the food tub does have a way to heat the food up with a small gas pocket mrs stove ..just grab the tub and throw it in the back of my friends truck and off we go for AZ area to get out of dodge ..

also on my phone is the same map system set up in the file to let me see how and where to get out of the city if places where choked with traffic or something was blocking them from leaveing ..

i have a bad weather bag filled with cloths and access items for i have to leave the area and can grab the bag only then i take the bag and get the heck out of dodge ..

·
Never Ready Enough
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me I'm set to Bug In for at least 2 months, if needed longer I'll start eating squirells, rats, any dog I see...Carp and crappy fish from the lake. Water from the LA river, or knowing the water table in my parts is about 15 feet and having a post hole digger and a lot of PVC in my Garage maybe I could dig a well. But I've heard the Valley has groundwater contamination courtesy Rocketdyne from Perchlorate. Supposed to be at the Glendale/ Burbank end but not sure I'd want to drink it unless I was desparate. If I had to leave I'd head North towards Venura (Have freinds in the B.A. and know a BOL in Humboldt)- I'd still wait as long as possible for all the Gridlock and crazies to clear, and avaoid the freeway at all cost. I too have topo maps of the entire Angeles and Santa Monicas, and detailed CA Western US Highway maps. I'm set to walk if need be but I'd stay near the coast since I can find water... Due west and SW is the Mojave and Joshua Tree and hot dry barrren lands, too afraid of being stranded wit the family all dying of DEHYDRATION. I can still out water at the beach and find it in MTNS all the way going North.

My theory is if you have to be in LA the worst thing you could do is make a run for it SHTF. Why? Because a couple Million other folks will be doing the same thing- and there will be GRIDLOCK on every road out of here for miles and miles. I don't want to be stuck on a road with those Millions of desperate, unprepared, and in a lot of cases Crazy people.

Better to hunker down, trash up the lawn, plant more seeds in the back, black out the windows, and ride out the first few weeks before making a decision to stay or go.
Besides I've got LAPD substation and NAT GRD Armoury nearby. That could keep it quiet this way, and if it does not I don't want to be on the street anywhere near them as they could become combat zones. If the latter I don't want to try driving or walking through any of that action.

LA advice from me where I'm located is stay put.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You are much better off than most. (thanks for the inspiring post...I know this was a time consuming post)

My only to constructive advise is...
Buy a quality h2o filter (MSR waterworks for me) It may be in there (the post was like Prego sauce "It's in there!")

Lastly, (and I suffer from this too) You have a lot of top quality gear some of which makes me quite envious I might add.

But... you also have bits and pieces that well it's there because..."IF tshtf this would be better than nothing if I loose or break my primary" (I tell my self this all the time ;) )

I finally convinced myself to separate this out to put in caches to keep at relatives and friends houses. I have also used some of this type of stuff to make emergency bags for those that were not so inclined to do so themselves.

I just told myself I was reducing weight in my bags and kits

Either WAY....Applause Applause Applause!

·
Never Ready Enough
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a few filters, living in Southern California I'm kind of a water freak as lack of it is one of my biggest survival concerns. The end result of re-sorting and re- packing this assorted pile of stuff actually resulted in 3 bags 1 under the bed, one for in the car, and a third backup bag with the heavy or poorer quality components that were sorted out of the mess you see dumped on the floor. The car bag having the lightest and highest quality most compact components that all fit in a Maxpedition Jumbo.
All three bags are actually complete and meet the component standards layed out in Tom McAnns book Build the Perfect survival kit.

Specifically to address water purifiacation and filtration:

For the go bag in the car, and the under the bed bag,
Aqua mira tablets:
http://aquamira.com/emergency/aquamira-water-purifier-tablets-12-pack/

Aquamira filter Pro: http://aquamira.com/preparedness/frontier-pro-filter-system

Also in Car bag: Steripen adventurer and Pre Filter: http://www.steripen.com/adventurer

Also Under Bed bag: General Ecology Microlite and extra cartridges,

http://www.moontrail.com/general-ecology-microlite.php

For the earthquake kit in the garage (Not part of this post)

First need XL and 2 extra filter cartridges + 3 gallons of Bleach:
http://generalecology.com/category/portable/product/first_need_xl_portable_water_purifier-new

·
Never Ready Enough
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No spare clothing in the go bag?

Fresh gitch and socks go a long way towards keeping morale up.
Yeah I do keep a set of socks and sneakers in the car, but don't consider it part of the bag.

The only spare clothing with the bags is either the Gatewood Cape (Car Bag), or a USMC Poncho (Under the bed bag), and an Under Armour sweatshirt tied to each.

This is Southern California so I don't anticipate needing much more than that.

My plan for the car bag is to have enough to get me home (40 mile walk).

If I actually had to bug out I have plenty of gear, but then it would be sleeping bags, tents, and full on supplies in my big REI backpack.

If situation permits I intend to Bug In cause I don't see how I'd escape LA in the aftermath of a disaster in a car. I'd have to walk cause the freeways and every road out would be gridlocked in every direction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.