Survivalist Forum banner

Please read thread first. Which of these properties would you be interested in?

• BC/Washinton border. Clear cut land surrounded by bush. 5 acre parcel

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Manitoba/ND border. Pasture/bush land. 5 acre parcel

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Southern Manitoba. Treed land. 10 acre parcel

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Might be interested, but not in these locations. Elaborate in comments

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Not interested

Votes: 18 56.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of purchasing a large piece of land in Canada and partitioning it off into sections. Preppers could lease a parcel as kind of a SHTF insurance. People who live in big cities, can't afford to outright buy land, people from the US who might want to leave the country could use it as their BOL. Although building permanent structures wouldn't be allowed, mini-homes on skids, seacans, RVs, storage sheds would all be permitted. The cost would be about $1000 per year or $83 per month for 5-10 acres (depending on how good a deal I can get on the land and its location. I would have a central location for solar power to charge devices and a well with solar pump. Would you be interested? Listening to all suggestions...

Attachments

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Seen many of these "profit off of peppers schemes"

Why would someone pay you to put a trailer on your land (basically) with a bunch of unknowns as neighbors, you being able to kick them off and them loosingbtheir gardens and other improvements....

When I they could afford "a house on skids" they could find their OWN piece.

·
King of Canada
4,421 Posts
I'm thinking of purchasing a large piece of land in Canada and partitioning it off into sections. Preppers could lease a parcel as kind of a SHTF insurance. People who live in big cities, can't afford to outright buy land, people from the US who might want to leave the country could use it as their BOL. Although building permanent structures wouldn't be allowed, mini-homes on skids, seacans, RVs, storage sheds would all be permitted. The cost would be about $1000 per year or $83 per month for 5-10 acres (depending on how good a deal I can get on the land and its location. I would have a central location for solar power to charge devices and a well with solar pump. Would you be interested? Listening to all suggestions...
I'm in northern Manitoba, but I lived in southern Manitoba for much of my life.

I voted for southern Manitoba.

EDIT: I plan on purchasing my own land, not renting or leasing.

F that.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
You can't own land. Fail to pay the TAX rent for several years and they sell your property. They want to build a road, school, a reservoir, nuke waste dump etc. and they condemn your land and pay you fair market value at best.

Just put up several layers of chain link fence topped with razor wire, put a few containers around and lease it out as a FEMA death camp.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, obviously it's better to own your own land! Not everyone can though. Lots of people rent land they put mobile homes and such on. Of course a contract would be signed, so I wouldn't just be able to kick someone off (besides, why would I want to kick off someone who's a good renter?) I thought it would be cool to know that a whole bunch of your neighbors are preppers. Seems it would give the lot of you a far better chance. The primary 'fortification' would be isolation. Boy, folks sure expect a lot for $83 a month! I thought it was pretty cheap for what is basically a 5 acre RV lot with storage allowed! Not much profit to be made there!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, obviously it's better to own your own land! Not everyone can though. Lots of people rent land they put mobile homes and such on. Of course a contract would be signed, so I wouldn't just be able to kick someone off (besides, why would I want to kick off someone who's a good renter?) I thought it would be cool to know that a whole bunch of your neighbors are preppers. Seems it would give the lot of you a far better chance. The primary 'fortification' would be isolation. Boy, folks sure expect a lot for $83 a month! I thought it was pretty cheap for what is basically a 5 acre RV lot with storage allowed! Not much profit to be made there!
Perhaps you would be better off going about it a developing a prepper community rather than a pseudo trailer park, you may find the people with the right mindset easier that way.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Canada is tougher to get into to live than you may realize. No guns allowed unless they are hunting rifles. Strict rules on Americans buying property also or at least used to be strict. All water fronts are govt owned. They are also not crazy about Americans, I lived there for many years.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
You can't own land. Fail to pay the TAX rent for several years and they sell your property. They want to build a road, school, a reservoir, nuke waste dump etc. and they condemn your land and pay you fair market value at best.

Just put up several layers of chain link fence topped with razor wire, put a few containers around and lease it out as a FEMA death camp.
Plenty of places you can own without tax due to homestead exemption.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Bull**** dude and yoiu know it.

Otherwise you wouldn't be trolling for it as a money making venture (low post count, far flung areas, etc. Like I said.... Seen it all before.

As to "neighbors are all preppers" some (we have seen THEM on here too) think a case of booze and a case of ammo is all the prepared they need.

Gabe Suarez is a famious example of a doushbag who says he will trade 1 round for a basement full of food, and give you a choice as to the velocity.
His infamous "I have an AK and a can of peaches" statement...

Fail all the way around.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I would never, under any circumstances, rent/lease/borrow or flat out anything but OWN lock, stock, and barrel any land I planned to use as a BOL.

Any work you put into it could be thrown away tomorrow when the owner decides to sell it to someone who denies you access, they decide to sell lumber rights, they decide to occupy it themselves come SHTF, etc.

If you don't own the land it is not a BOL, it is a site for "survival camping".

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
Only a fool puts his last hope into something he has no control over.

If you have a BOL you should own it.

The OP is planning to sell false hope.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
*snip*

The cost would be about $1000 per year or $83 per month for 5-10 acres (depending on how good a deal I can get on the land and its location.

*snip*
Did anyone else notice that the month to month fee actually saves you $4 per year? Usually the pay it all up front cost is less than the month to month fee....

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
i dont have a problem with the concept...my problem is that canada isnt conducive to a live off the land while the world goes to hell. in a shtf scenario in all likelihood borders will be closed, your stuff is inaccessable... prepper friendlier areas are bound to be closer to hither rather than yon.

·
King of Canada
4,421 Posts
i dont have a problem with the concept...my problem is that canada isnt conducive to a live off the land while the world goes to hell. in a shtf scenario in all likelihood borders will be closed, your stuff is inaccessable... prepper friendlier areas are bound to be closer to hither rather than yon.
Do you even know about what we can grow or raise here, in Canada? Especially where the OP is mentioning?

That area was my home for over 15 years.

All sorts of grains, veggies and fruit.

Cattle, Bison, Sheep, Alpaca's, Pig, horses.

Never mind the wild life; black bear, moose, deer, elk, rabbit & hare, and prairie chickens, just to name a few.

You know not of what you speak.

But OP's idea isn't one that I'll buy into; regardless.

Now NORTHERN, Manitoba is near impossible to grow anything; unless you wanna grow pine or moss.

Lots of wildlife though. Birds, beasts and fish. Also millions upon millions of mosquitoes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts