Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
democrats = Hydra
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/08/13/so-many-pwns/?google_editors_picks=true

article in Forbes; many on internet have 'remote access' that hackers can get into without passwords.

anyone know how I can see if my pc dos this / how I can keep it safe? I'm not that tech-savvy.

apparently involves something called VNC?

"...thousands of computers on port 5900 using a program called VNC for remote access. The total number is likely over 30,000. Those using the program failed to password-protect it, meaning anyone who comes looking can see what they’re doing, and manipulate their computers."

scary stuff.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
I have an idea... use passwords. This is not a vulnerability in VNC, it's stupid computer users that are leaving their computers vulnerable. This would apply to any remote software really. There are other ports that could be just as vulnerable too. Also, most people are behind a firewall and if not, should be.

If you don't know what VNC is, you don't have it. Just be sure to use strong passwords and to configure your router with some security (which is the weak point in most homes). All those times you've walked around and all of a sudden detected and connected to a network with your smartphone... those are unsecure.

·
democrats = Hydra
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for info. I'm on dialup (20th century technology :( ) and don't have a router.
I do have a firewall (if not I soon will, but I'm pretty sure there is one.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts