Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local pawn shop has a Remington Model 788 in 308 winchester for around $500.

Is a Remington Model 788 worth $500, or should I make the guy a lower offer?

The magazines on the Model 788 rattles something terrible.

Another pawn shop in Newton Texas has a Remington 700 for $500. I offered the sales person $400, but he refused my offer.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I would've thought that was a little high, but Gunbroker has several with bids on them in $500-$600 range, so I guess that's not out of line.

I like the 788. My cousin had two, one in .223 and one in 6mm. They were no-frills working rifles.

Guess it just depends on whether you want it enough to pay that for it.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Good rifles. I have owned several- three .308's, a .30-30 a .243 and a .223.

I only own the .243 (sentimental) and the .30-30 now (rare).

They are quite accurate and were cheap rifles at one time. They were less than $200 new in the mid 80's. I think current prices are ridiculous- you can buy a used 700 or Ruger 77 for that kind of money easily. At $250-300, yea, great rifle, more than that....not something I would buy. One thing to watch is the bolt handle. It is silver soldered into the bolt body and I have seen a few that came off- they are a bug bear to get soldered back in place.....

·
Gettin By
1,405 Posts
I had a 788 in .223 a few years back. It shot well, but I also had a Win 70 XTR Varmint in .223 and it was a nicer gun. I sold/traded the 788 and kept the model 70.

If you are looking at spending that kind of $$$ look for a Stevens 200. They are available in .223/ .22-250/ .243/ 7mm-08 and .308 in short action. They are a great gun and around my neck of the woods they can be had for about $400.00 with a Tasco scope. The other disadvantage to the 788 is that they have been out of production for quite awhile so parts could be difficult to get.

·
If I kill I eat it
938 Posts
I have a 308 788 and even with a good scope i wouldnt honestly try to take a deer with it over 250 yards I did once when i was 13 and doe tags in northern minn where hard to get in the 80's.I got it and that year, I was the only one that saw a deer.I sat and never moved for 8 hours before i saw her.Longest wait of my life.Made my family proud i produced when the ol boys didnt.

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
The 788 Brightblade has is scary accurate. Its an awesome rifle in 223. If it was me I would haggle, but I would take a 788 over a 700 with out blinking.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Kev,

I've had my .308 788 since 1972 or so, I was 14. I sold candy door to door to save up the $135 it cost me back then. It's got a Weaver 3x9 scope on it and it still shoots very well. My magazine rattles too. The bolt is left handed, which cost me a whole $5 extra.

It was their lower end gun back then and my dad insisted on .308 because it was a military round. Back when I was younger, 300 yards was no problem. Spare magazines on Gunbroker are in the $45 range.

Does yours have optics? That might make it a better deal. If not, see what he might do on a package deal.

·
Still standing
1,255 Posts
I had a 788 in .308, it shot MOA with reloads. To stop the magazine rattle, I simply put some electrical tape around it where it touched its metal "window" under the receiver. What makes the 788 accurate is its FAST lock-time. Pull the trigger, the bullet's downrange, POW! This has been noted by gun-writers.

$500 is just too steep. Jeez Louise, you can get a brand-new Tikka T3 for that. And that other used Remington is pricey, but a better deal than the 788. Your $400 dollar offer on the Rem 700 was valid as all get-out.

Screw these rip-off palaces! See what an FFL will charge you to order a Remington for you. Support American firearm industries.

I was looking at the price of ammo today. Holy crap! I'm still shootin'-up old military ball ammo for sh!ts & gr!ns.

Good luck to you!

·
100% AMERICAN
324 Posts
Over the years,I have repaired several 788's and built a few custom rifles on the action. I've owned a few myself. They CAN be very accurate, but then so can a 700. They also MIGHT have that mythical fast lock time, but no guarantee there either. I've seen four different firing pin assemblies, that varied from a nice slick machined firing pin to a total POS stamped part. The only weakness I've seen in a 788 is the trigger attachment, which is a small stud that is resistance welded (often poorly)to the receiver. We've repaired four of these that had broken and that is four too many to have encountered. They are not a bad rifle, but not the magical machine that some think they are. So, $500? You be the judge.

Reactions: Burt Gummer Jn

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
The 788's were an embarrassment to Remington, they were too accurate for a bargain basement gun.

At that price, it would depend on the optics on the gun. I might go as high as $400 for a bare rifle. Maybe.

A little cloth tape on the magazine works wonders for the rattle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took over my dads old 788 308 from him about 10 years ago he had bought it before I was born (26+ years ago) it was his second rifle he had ever bought it has worked perfect for me and has never been worked on he can't remember what year he bought it but it was mid to late 70s. Also sportsman's guide sales mags for the 788 in 308 or 6mm for 35 bucks non members and 31 for members!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've owned 2 rem model 788's over the years, a 222 and a 22.250. The 222 was crazy accurate, 5-shots in a ragged hole, easiely covered with a dime at 100 meters. THE 22.250 WAS VERY ACCURATE AS WELL! They don't have walnut stocks and all the frills of a high end rifle but what they do have is 9 locking lugs on bolt, a decent trigger from the factory,and in my opinion were made too well. Is it worth $500? Damn right! Buy this gun and put good glass on it! One of the most underrated bolt guns out there!!!!

·
If I kill I eat it
938 Posts
I found the front and rear sights and a see through scope mounts on gunbroker for 35.00 shipped.My mag rattles in my 788 also.I'm looking for a .243 carbine in 788.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
My favorite and preferred Remington rifle. I am dealing for a 788 in 243 as we speak. The guy wants $535 for the rifle scope and 4 boxes of ammo. It's pretty high priced in my book. I purchased a 22-250 from a fellow at a gun show in 09 with a synthetic stock and an older 3x9 Tasco Pronghorn for $265 with a spare clip/magazine.

·
CTP
1,715 Posts
So, anyone know what Kev did in this as the thread is a year + old?

My 788 in 7m-08 carbine is my go to deer gun. Love that little bitch. Topped with a Leupold 2-7x33 Amd is damn accurate. Picking up my 788 .243 tomorrow from a 3 lb trigger job and black Teflon coating makeover. Can't wait to shot it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
A local pawn shop has a Remington Model 788 in 308 winchester for around $500.

Is a Remington Model 788 worth $500, or should I make the guy a lower offer?

The magazines on the Model 788 rattles something terrible.

Another pawn shop in Newton Texas has a Remington 700 for $500. I offered the sales person $400, but he refused my offer.
I would take the 788 over a newer production 700 hands down. I have owned two of them . One in 22-250 (my first centerfire) and one in 223. Both were execellent firearms , and the accuracy was outstanding.

Many of the newer 700 models have a discharge problem. Matter of fact , my hunting buddies father just lost two of his toes to a 700 that was on safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've got one in .308. Very accurate rifle. Mine likes 180 grain bullets. The mags rattle a bit, but I haven't really found it to be a problem. I've taken whitetail, moose, and black bear with it. $500 is about what they go for in very good condition here in Ontario.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts