Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
So it looks like the remington name is gone? Probably has to do with Sandy Hook.

Too bad, but as long as I can still buy decent parts for the Remingtons I don't care I guess. Awful good gun made for lots of years.

·
just surviving
639 Posts
As if 2020 wasn't confusing enough. CCI's parent company gets the ammo, but will they use Remington name or just the trademarks like Thunderbolt, Stinger, etc.? Is my old Marlin worth more, or less, now?

That real estate firm getting the rifles and shotguns sounds like they're planning to shut 'em down and sell the property. With all the old major brands being killed, what other brand of hunting rifle is good?

Maybe Trump should get into this business and Make Arms Great Again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I inherited my Dad's Remmington 1100 shotgun that he bought in the 1970's. It brings back fond memories of the times we spent during many autumn weekends in rural Minnesota. We hunted ducks, geese, and pheasants on the "hobby farm" that my father purchased with about 40 acres of slough land and 40 acres of farm land + homestead. So, that gun brings back enjoyable memories. I now live in a big metro area and do not have those hunting options.

I am not sure why an iconic gun brand fell on hard times during a time when gun and ammo sales have skyrockted.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,959 Posts
The "big names" are all basically just entities of some corporate conglomerate these days and have been that way for a long time now. Some eras are better than others, but most have been continually going downhill more so than up hill.

Like anything else, most things made in the "good old days", or at least, the "good eras", were always better, and I dont think thats really changed.

All we can do, is see what may come of this. I wouldnt put to much faith going forward on just the "names" though.

·
Registered
16,516 Posts
Good move by Ruger.
Sure. Now they can kill the better Model 60, and by default make the 10/22 the gun they always thought it should be despite being more expensive and less accurate out of the box, and less popular by sheer sales numbers.

I'm curious. Do they have the balls to keep making the Model 60 and 795? If so, how do they price it? Will they borrow anything from it, like the MicroGroove barrels, to improve the 10/22?

My guess is they will make the Marlin bolt guns, and either stop making semi guns, or cut them to the bone so they will cost less, but become less reliable and accurate, while still carrying the Marlin name.

·
Bear Fighter
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure. Now they can kill the better Model 60, and by default make the 10/22 the gun they always thought it should be despite being more expensive and less accurate out of the box, and less popular by sheer sales numbers.

I'm curious. Do they have the balls to keep making the Model 60 and 795? If so, how do they price it? Will they borrow anything from it, like the MicroGroove barrels, to improve the 10/22?

My guess is they will make the Marlin bolt guns, and either stop making semi guns, or cut them to the bone so they will cost less, but become less reliable and accurate, while still carrying the Marlin name.
I figure Ruger is buying Marlin to have a lever action to fill out their collection. Will we continue to see the Marlin name? Probably. Will we see Ruger-branded lever actions? Less likely, but might be cool. Something like the 1895s to go with their single action cowboy revolvers.

·
just surviving
639 Posts
The "big names" are all basically just entities of some corporate conglomerate ...
Yea, I know, but I don't understand why companies own other companies. Corporations never care about anything but money.

Vista doesn't seem too bad on a relative sliding scale. I wonder if it was a mistake to move HQ back to MN.

Now I've got to check on Olin - is Winchester just a marketing label now. They weren't mentioned in the Rem deal that I could tell, but it's got me curious about who's behind everything.

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts

You ask interesting questions. The Marlin 60 is, out of the box, a better rifle than the 1022. Getting rid of it or making it inferior would make good business sense but would be a loss for the shooting community.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I don't think getting rid of the Model 60 makes business sense. It's a huge share of the 22 market, and killing it won't necessarily help the 10/22. If anything, I expect the 10/22 line to become a little more streamlined and less cluttered now that it doesn't have to directly compete with Marlin. I expect to see a Marlin 60 Takedown at some point, and hopefully they'll improve the triggers for the 60, which is my only (and slight) gripe with the rifle. I hope they'll make a tube-fed bolt action, for some reason I really want one.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
The Remlins are much easier to tune and have far more potential once they are cleaned-up
CNC > hand-fitted
Sell your JMs and get a Ruger/Remlin and get it tuned and pocket the extra $$$$$

PSA scored as well
With multiple AR brands and their own AKs and ARs that is a big win in my book

·
Bear Fighter
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who purchased the rights to Remington shotguns like the 870, and bolt action rifles like the 700 and model 7?
the article said:
Roundhill Group, LLC as the Successful Bidder pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit C with respect to the non-Marlin Firearms Business; and Huntsman Holdings, LLC and Century Arms, Inc. as the Backup Bidders thereto pursuant to the terms of the Asset Purchase Agreement attached hereto as Exhibit D with respect to certain Firearms Business IP assets and Exhibit E with respect to certain non-Marlin Firearms Business inventory, respectively
so, a holding company that will probably screw it up

·
NRA Life 1971
9,745 Posts
I would expect that any struggling gun company that is bought by another gun company has a much better chance of remaining viable than if it was purchased by a holding company/corporation.
Similarities in manufacturing and engineering personnel within those companies do not exist in holding companies which, as a rule, are scrutinized by bean counters.
No offense meant to the accountants on this forum if any.:D:

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
I don't think getting rid of the Model 60 makes business sense. It's a huge share of the 22 market, and killing it won't necessarily help the 10/22. If anything, I expect the 10/22 line to become a little more streamlined and less cluttered now that it doesn't have to directly compete with Marlin. I expect to see a Marlin 60 Takedown at some point, and hopefully they'll improve the triggers for the 60, which is my only (and slight) gripe with the rifle. I hope they'll make a tube-fed bolt action, for some reason I really want one.
I agree... it makes more businss sense for some cross pollination to happen...

I'd expect upgrades to the 10/22 and 60 and a new Ruger lever line that directly competes with the Marlin products.

All of this will result in setting new price floors....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.