Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 4 months ago a buddy bought a used but like new 870 12ga. Its not the "tactical" but it's the one with the 18" barrel, no choke, and full length magazine and holds 6+1. I liked it and decided i was gonna get one so the next month I did. Only difference was mine is new and black, the person who owned his replaced or had the stock and pump dipped in usmc camo. I didnt notice this till he said something the other day when he was lookin at mine, but he said his trigger guard/trigger/group was metal bc he noticed mine was plastic/polymer. Anyone else notice this and are they still reliable? I don't wanna rely on something in shtf if it's junk. Also, Does anyone know where the 870 is made? Thanks

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I don't know about the 870 but I've got Mossberg 500 that I've had since the late '80s with a plastic trigger guard. No signs of trouble yet.

Even my LCR has plastic in it. I believe the technology is there.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
About 500 rounds through my 870 in 20 gauge and maybe 3000 through a 11-87 in 12 gauge. No problems so far.

UV light and some solvents beat up plastic parts. Your guns don't see enough light to get damaged via UV.

I remove the barrel from the gun to clean my 870's and 11-87 shotguns, so they don't see much solvent on the trigger group. I'm concerned about washing the lube from the trigger group than getting solvent on the plastic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Remington has been using plastic trigger housings for many years on the non police grade 870s.
I think the plastic is no big deal and will last for a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
never had a problem with 870's new or older models my honest opoinon STAY away from the 887's mine does not cycle right or fire half the time, tryed several diffrent loads through it and same resolts JUNK!

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Their actuaries probably save them 10 cents or so per unit -- even though every change like this will eat away at customer loyalty, quality, reputation, etc.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah ok thanks. His might be plastic and him not realize it, who knows. I'll have to look at it next time I see him. Any recommended upgrades to the gun?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Ah ok thanks. His might be plastic and him not realize it, who knows. I'll have to look at it next time I see him. Any recommended upgrades to the gun?
It's been awhile since I have seen this, but thee are a few parts that wear out and break quicker than the old 870 shotguns.

Literally, you probably have to break the 100,000 round mark to be a problem.

Instead of machining small parts from steel, or stamp forging, they use sintered metal. It's like a what slip molding is to ceramics.

The ejector,, the part that stops one side of the spent shell so it rotates out the recieve ejection port. The extractor, the little hook that grabs the shell and pulls it out of the barrel. There's one more part, I think sometihng inside the trigger group.

Another issue can be the feeding system. Improperly installing the trigger group can bend up the mechanism that releases a shell from the magazine tube and pushes it upward towards the upper reciever can be damaged.

If you're not shooting 100 rounds a week out of it, don't worry about it.

Midway has these upgraded parts. Might be called upgrade, police model, or non-express models.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Hmm, I was just talking to my BIL last week. He had told me how when his mom worked at Wally world he took a look at a certain rifle and was astonished to find mucho plastic in the trigger groups.

Yep, just like TVs, Wally's get the manufacturer to make them with cheaper parts to pass the savings along to you.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, I was just talking to my BIL last week. He had told me how when his mom worked at Wally world he took a look at a certain rifle and was astonished to find mucho plastic in the trigger groups.

Yep, just like TVs, Wally's get the manufacturer to make them with cheaper parts to pass the savings along to you.:thumb:
I got it at a legit gunshop. Largest in western ky. And walmart Really isnt really much cheaper than the gun stores. The shotgun Im talking about in this thread is $320 at the big gun store, $330 at walmart, and $340-350 at other gun stores. And they don't get them to make the tvs cheaper, they just get different models exclusive to the chain stores. Not just walmart. That's why walmart, target, kmart, sears, etc all have the same stores. I got mine at target and have had it for 4 years with no problems. The reason places like best buy are so expensive is bc they have a 300% markup on everything but computers, iPods, and game systems/games. This is coming from a friend of mine who used to be a manager at best buy

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Remington has been using plastic trigger housings for many years on the non police grade 870s.
I think the plastic is no big deal and will last for a long time.
Even on the more recent Police models the plastic trigger guards are used.

Some polymers will outlast alloy.

No problems with my trigger guards, so what?

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
I got it at a legit gunshop. Largest in western ky. And walmart Really isnt really much cheaper than the gun stores. The shotgun Im talking about in this thread is $320 at the big gun store, $330 at walmart, and $340-350 at other gun stores. And they don't get them to make the tvs cheaper, they just get different models exclusive to the chain stores. Not just walmart. That's why walmart, target, kmart, sears, etc all have the same stores. I got mine at target and have had it for 4 years with no problems. The reason places like best buy are so expensive is bc they have a 300% markup on everything but computers, iPods, and game systems/games. This is coming from a friend of mine who used to be a manager at best buy
Sorry you are having an issue.

But regarding TVs,
I have a friend who works at a manufacturing job building flatscreens. And my BIL works repairing electronics for extra $$.There might be 2 lines of TVs getting built. Say both are RCA 32in. plasmas. One will get larger capacitors and better electronics than the other. The other line will go to Sams or Wally. Best Buy doesn't sell anything less than Class "A" electronics, meaning all was made right the first time. Others have issues w/ sub-standard parts or just don't rise to meet QC and are sold as class "B" or "C".

Either way, is it worth $75 to see the trampling of the shoppers ?? LOL!!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not having any issues with anything. Just was curious about the polymer trigger housings. And RCA is junk anyway so I would never buy it. The only tv brands i will own are samsung, Sony, or lg. I don't trust anything else. All the RCA tube tvs we owned in the past were junk. We've had our "walmart/target" samsungs and sonys for 4+ years without a single issue. Not even a burnt out pixel. Ik people who buy from bestbuy and I honestly can't tell a difference in anything

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
I'm not having any issues with anything. Just was curious about the polymer trigger housings. And RCA is junk anyway so I would never buy it. The only tv brands i will own are samsung, Sony, or lg. I don't trust anything else. All the RCA tube tvs we owned in the past were junk. We've had our "walmart/target" samsungs and sonys for 4+ years without a single issue. Not even a burnt out pixel. Ik people who buy from bestbuy and I honestly can't tell a difference in anything
Sorry, I thought you had issues w/ the plastic parts. :)
LOL! I haven't bought Sony for 21 years and the Samsung we bought after Katrina developed problems within weeks. LOL. It seems that it's all hit or miss.:xeye:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was just wondering if they would present a problem eventually. Yea I guess so. I stick to LCD tvs. Next one will be an led tv. Picture is awesome in those

1 - 20 of 36 Posts