Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..... found one the other day for $250.00 and snagged it....... love it so far...... now need to find some modifications for it............... any ideas.......

18 inch barrel, pump, all black

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
Great find on the 870. It's one of several great shotguns.

Shell carriers with elastic tend to wear out. Last thing you want is shells falling out while on the move.

A suggestion if I may.

I carried an 870 at work, humped it everyday. I carried Winchester 00 buck (red plastic shells) and Remington slugs (green plastic shells) I could tell bi sight what I was loading.

Now, all bird shot is either blue or purple Peters rounds. My nickle.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Other than a side saddle, instead of buying a lot of mall-ninja doo-dads, I would invest in extra ammo to practice with or to save for a rainy day.
Good luck! I have 2 870s and love them both.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Perhaps a flashlight bracket,for things that go bump in the night. There are many quality, affordable , tactical flashlights available that run on standard AA batteries. Fenix brand comes to mind.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
$250 used? Ever wonder why the guy sold it? Watch out for rust on these guns. Keep it dry and very well oiled, including the mag spring. Trust me on this one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Good basic shotgun... knoxx pistol stock and 7+1 ext tube (might already have one if it's "tactical"?) are all you need IMO.

Sling is good for hunting, clays, etc... but pretty pointless and in the way if the gun is just for range, HD, SHTF.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ok..... found one the other day for $250.00 and snagged it....... love it so far...... now need to find some modifications for it............... any ideas.......

18 inch barrel, pump, all black

Sure. Same as suggested by others.

A. Boxes of Birdshot to get familiar with this shotgun.
B. Buckshot and slugs to see how it handles them.
C. SideSaddle type of ammunition carrier.
D. Sling.
E. A dedicated light. (Things go "bump" in the night, so it can be good to have one mounted on the light and carry a backup, be it Mini-Mag Lite, SureFire or other. . .)

I've seen many of these type of Q's when I browse/lurk the ShotgunWorld website in the "Basement" or "Tactical" section of the Forum. Unless you are just dressing it up for looks as a show-off piece, just shoot the darned thing and then see what you want to do with it. Some good browsing of other types (without posting - read, read, read) of similiar Qs on this and other Forums will speak quite well.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
If you want a pistol grip, get one with a buttstock still on it. Fastest and best aiming way is to shoulder the gun. With self defense, the first shot may be your last one in either case.

Flashlights are good and bad. Make sure you have a remote switch so you can shut if off quickly.

For home purposes, the sling will get in the way of things. Slings are only needed if carrying for a long period of time, or accurately aiming while standing. Neither tasks are accomplsihed by the home shotgun.

My home shotgun is 11-87 youth in 20 gauge. Stock with 21" barrel. I use #3 buck in it.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone know if there is a foregrip maker who has a pistol grip with a flashlight trigger in it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts