Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this question off youtube,

Hey dude. I just watched you video on the Remington 870 and the Mossberg shotguns. I'm interested in buy the Remington 870 for just like weekend shooting... target and ect ect. I found this website with the Remington 870 for sale.

Here is the link to it: http://shotgunworks.com/item/37352_Remington_Rifles_Shotguns_Remington,_870,_Express_P.aspx

In the second picture it has 2 picturss of the 870... but the one on the bottom has a tube or a barrel coming out of the handle where you pump it. What is that for? Is that to hold more shell's in it or what? Cause I would prefer that one more then the one with nothing coming out of it.

excuse my explanation, for I'am a gun rookie I guess you would call it lol.

any info would be very appreciated!
Thanks
Daniel

P.S. I'm going to be getting my first gun withing a couple weeks here and I have really only found the Remington 870 to my liking... could you suggest any other pump action shotguns I should consider?
Does anyone have suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Comment: Magazine Extension Tube
The shorter one holds 5+1 in the chamber and the longer one hold 7 or 8+1

Suggestion: Get a Mossberg 500/590

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you plan on using this shotgun for hunting, do not get a 590. The 590 does not have a removable choke. Not having a choke limits its uses - such as turkey hunting or duck hunting.

I really do not like the finger pincher flap on the 870. And to be honest, the flap on magazine is the main reason why I do not like or recommend the 870. Plus, years ago the 870 was twice the price of a mossberg. The quality is about the same, but the remington 870 was 2X the price - something dont add up there.

I also do not like the safety on the 870 as compared to the mossberg. With the mossberg safety, you can work it with just about any type of glove on, the remington can get a little awkward with thick gloves on.

Regardless if you buy the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, you should be happy with your purchase. Both will give you years of service.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also, FYI, the cantilevered barrel (so you can add a scope and shoot slugs) is stupidly expensive for the 870. I was so angry I just bought a new england arms slug gun instead rather than the other barrel. Two guns are better than one anyway!:)

I have the 870 and I like it, I just wish they could combine the good aspects of both these guns so they came with everything factory standard. Meaning drill the 870 for scope or have the mossy come with a barrel that can take a choke.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Depends on what you want the 870 for. For hunting birds or deer you want to stay away from the magazine extensions. For self defense or other applications such as three gun you might want the extension. The Remingtons are more expensive but if you get a quality one you get what you pay for. The Mossbergs are less expensive and they are not bad guns. You do not want to get a 590 for hunting though. Pumps are better for self defense in my humble opinion. You can buy a new Remington Express for a good price or you can look into getting a used one. I just paid $227.00 for a 1953 Wingmaster that was 99% on the metal and 90% on the wood. It has the smoothest action I have ever felt. You can usually get a police trade-in for about $250.00. I got the attached for $375.00, all factory 1960 police.

I personally dislike side saddle shell carriers and all of the stuff people hang on a shotgun. Learn to load it, shoot it and take care of it. Spend your money at the range, not on toys.

·
Registered
132 Posts
After owning Mossberg 500s and 590s, I prefer the Remington 870.

I don't care for the Mossberg trigger, safety or field stripping characteristics.

YMMV

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I really like the older 870's with the deep rich bluing and the Mossberg 500's with rifle sights...I see where Mossberg is offering 18" cylinder bore with rifle sights for the Rem 870...
What would you call that? a Remberg? maybe a Mossington?
Peter

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Has to be a Remingberg, the action is Remington and that is what the BATF considers it so that is where the name would start. Otherwise it would be an illegal firearm and the BATF would bust down your door some evening. :eek:

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Also, FYI, the cantilevered barrel (so you can add a scope and shoot slugs) is stupidly expensive for the 870. I was so angry I just bought a new england arms slug gun instead rather than the other barrel. Two guns are better than one anyway!:)

I have the 870 and I like it, I just wish they could combine the good aspects of both these guns so they came with everything factory standard. Meaning drill the 870 for scope or have the mossy come with a barrel that can take a choke.
I think the reason Remington makes the cantilever is that;because the 870 has a barrel that is removeable,and is independant of the receiver,it is possible to take your cant barrel off,put your screw choke bird barrel on,and you don't have to deal with a drill/tap mount and scope in your way for bird hunting.It keeps the overall platform more user-friendly,streamlined, and adaptable.I suspect the cantilever is also capable of greater,repeatable accuracy,since your scope is mated and sighted to the barrel,and won't change POI when removed and replaced.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Rshooter,
I think you are right, besides I just put in a new front door, and don't need to have it BATFE tested...:D

I was looking at the saddlemount red dot scopes for the 870's...after reading some of the reviews i kinda got the impression they have a Jeykle and hyde reputation...
Peter

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Peter, I always thought I had pockets and a load bearing vest for carrying extra ammunition. Why weigh the gun down with needless stuff that I carry in pockets? And why put a red dot on a shotgun? If he is in shotgun range I better have already pulled the trigger! Maybe I am too old fashioned. :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the reason Remington makes the cantilever is that;because the 870 has a barrel that is removeable,and is independant of the receiver,it is possible to take your cant barrel off,put your screw choke bird barrel on,and you don't have to deal with a drill/tap mount and scope in your way for bird hunting.It keeps the overall platform more user-friendly,streamlined, and adaptable.I suspect the cantilever is also capable of greater,repeatable accuracy,since your scope is mated and sighted to the barrel,and won't change POI when removed and replaced.
I agree, just wish it was more affordable.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Rshooter, I agree with keeping it simple...Though I have to admit that every once in a while I will consider buying an aftermarket item.
Though a Tritium front bead might be a nice addition that wouldn't alter the basic design and could prove to be useful in low light conditions...
Peter

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Rshooter, I agree with keeping it simple...Though I have to admit that every once in a while I will consider buying an aftermarket item.
Though a Tritium front bead might be a nice addition that wouldn't alter the basic design and could prove to be useful in low light conditions...
Peter
I have to agree that that siren is also calling my name. I am trying to figure out if my newest 870 (a 1955 model) is a screw on or pressed bead.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either the Mossberg or the 870's. Both are solid no nonsense workhorses that I've never had fail after all the years of putting them to constant use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a remington 870 express Magnum 20 guage. I love this gun I have taken over a dozen squirrels with it and other birds.

Remington focuses a lot on quality rather than power like the mossberg but quality is a good thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts