Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question I received off youtube. What kind of advice can we offer Seth?

My question is that I bought a remington 870 synthetic 7 round and asking if you think this was a wise decision over the mossberg 500 or 590?

Also, if a 20 ga. has advantages over the 12 ga. or are they pretty much the same.

Thankyou,

Seth
My reply - the mossberg 590 does not have a removable choke, this limits its usage as a hunting shotgun - unless you are up close and personal with hogs or deer. And I mean really up close, as in less then 35 yards.

The remington 870 and mossberg 500 are good all around shotguns that should give you years service. Both have chokes that can be changed out, both are good for duck hunting, bird hunting, hunting small game, deer hunting or just about anything else.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've been looking at a Mossberg 500 for awhile now but its pretty confusing as they have at least 60 different versions. I originally was looking at the home defense persuader model with the 18" barrel but I noticed something weird. The persuader retails for $388 but for $372 you can get the field/security combo which includes a 28" barrel with screw-in choke -and- the 18" barrel. I think that's what I'm gonna go with since I need a gun for dove hunting.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
you cant go wrong with a 870

·
Whippersnapper
2,665 Posts
Given the choice, id go for the Remington 870, the archetypal good gun.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
12 ga. is superior in terms of performance in regards to more pellets or larger slugs being projected at similar or greater velocity to the smaller loads in the 20 gauge. The 20 gauge is lighter on recoil in most cases ,but not always. Sometimes the lighter recoil is helpful for faster follow up shots etc. There is always a trade off.

I prefer the Mossberg 500 in regards to the safety position , the elevator while loading, and somewhat lighter weight. I feel reliability is similar these day esp. with Remington's quality control.

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
870 Marine magnum. The glock of shotguns.
I suppose we need to know if you are for glocks or against glocks to really put that into context.

I happen to have both a glock and an 870 XCR marine magnum. Both excel at what they were designed to do. I would also pick a regular 870 over a 500 any day.

I would consider the 500 JIC pistol grip, nickle plated pump, because its $250 bucks.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
All are good choices .

What did we ever do with out changeable chokes for 100 years , those birds are just as dead now as the were 100 years ago ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I chose the 590A1 because I like the location of the safety and mag release and the fact that it is over-built. I had my machinist buddy ream and thread the uber-thick barrel so that I can now use removable
Rem-chokes, even a breeching device/brake. I really like this gun, but she is a heavy beast compared to my upland shotty.
That being said the 870 IS the standard by which every other pump shotgun is measured. I do recommend staying away from the el-cheapo Express/Tactical models and get an 870P, the Police model. That or find an old Wingmaster model and build it up. They used to be very smooth, slick actions. Now Remmy QA is hit/miss.

I'd recommend 12 Gauge as it is available everywhere, cheap and in every type of loading that you could possibly use a shotgun for, they even make reduced "tactical" type loads for LE use. A 12 gauge can do everything that a 20 can and more if required.

·
Angels on the sidelines..
205 Posts
I own a 590 and have had nothing but good experiences with it. Granted, I bought it for home defense, so if you're interested in something you can use for hunting...it might not be the best choice. So it depends on what you plan to use it for. The 500 seems to be a good choice, too. My brother and best friend both own one and take it out with mine. The 590's higher shell capacity is definitely a plus, as well as that standard heat shield that so many 500 owners feel obligated to put on after their initial purchase. Good luck with your decision!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts