Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about the remington 870 for home defense ?
I live in an urban area and there are a lot of robbery going around this area. Should i get a shotgun or a rifle? I have a smith & wesson .357 short barrel but i've heard at night multiple shots like if this were a combat zone. Any thoughts?

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
What do you think about the remington 870 for home defense ?
I live in an urban area and there are a lot of robbery going around this area. Should i get a shotgun or a rifle? I have a smith & wesson .357 short barrel but i've heard at night multiple shots like if this were a combat zone. Any thoughts?
I have a couple of thoughts, yes.

1) Professional training is far more important than specific weapon selection.
2) The 870 is a fine weapon. As long as you have no intention of using it (or any long gun) to clear your house.

:)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I love mine, cant go wrong with one.

I clear my house with mine, of course when I open my bedroom door its a long hallway which opens into a large living room.

Just depends on how your house is set up.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
All of the following are great home defense shotguns, in no particular order.
1 - Mossberg 500 or 590
2 - Remington 870 Tac Express
3 - Winchester Defender
4 - New England Firearms Pardner.

I own all of them except the 590 and they are all awesome 12 gauge pump shotguns.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
one answer to the question.........YES the 870 is a great gun. and shotguns are where it is as far as home defense goes......get your 870 and some buckshot, you will sleep very well tonight if you do.
What he said ↑

IMO, a shotgun loaded with buckshot is the best firearm available for home defense. Concerned about overpenetration? Use number 4 buck..

870s have been standard issue for many police agencies as a patrol weapon for over 40 years

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a couple of thoughts, yes.

1) professional training is far more important than specific weapon selection.
2) the 870 is a fine weapon. As long as you have no intention of using it (or any long gun) to clear your house.

:)
did not thought on clearing the house thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
either buy an 870 police.... or buy a standard 870 and an 18 inch police barrel to go with it. don't try to defend your house with the giant barrel that comes with it.

fill it with 00 magnum shells and you are good to go. I love my 870.

if you want to take the next upgrade... buy a nova tactical.

·
Registered
426 Posts
870 is the only way to go for home defense, reliable and sexy. A wingmaster in 12 gauge with a short barrel is my personal favorite!

·
Joshua 24:14-15
980 Posts
I have had an 870 for over 15 years and it has always been good to me.

Many folks really prefer a shotgun for home protection, but I don't.

Regardless of the choice though, the training is what will make the biggest difference.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
I've got Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s both. Both are extremely reliable, but the Remington is far smoother to operate. It's my personal favorite.

A shotgun is the king of home defense. I have a handgun for those "bump in the middle of the night" moments. But my shotgun is handy also, just in case.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
The Remington 870 is about as solid as you can get.

·
Molon Labe
6,052 Posts
Yes, buy an 870 it won't let you down, use oo buck and you'll be set I've had mine for over 20 yrs. and love it.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
The 870 is one of the best home defense weapons ever made. Just the racking sound scares most home invaders into running for their lives.

·
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry
2,016 Posts
I own an 870 and used a 590 in Iraq. Both are great guns. Get whatever is cheaper and learn how to use it. Get GOOD ammo for defense. Hornady Tap has the tightest patterned of any I have ever fired. any truball rilfed slug will do. Get a weaponlight, a sling and a side saddle, put slugs on the side saddle and put 1 less buckshot in the tube than the max. Learn how to reload or load a slug from the side saddle fast and you're be gtg.

Used ones are cheaper and cycle alot easier, juss sayin.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The TAC Desert Recon model has two side saddles made into the stock. It also has sling mounts. Add a nice scope, and it's accurate enough with a slug at 100 yds for deer hunting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts