Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local gun shop is having a sale on Remington 870 18" Barrel 7+1 shot for $359. They say it is a parkerized "police" model.

However I could not find anything about a police model on the Remington website. If the model does exist, is it good or bad? How's the price? Is parkerized the best coating I can get from a manufacturer?

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
No, this is not parkerized and it is not a police model. A police gun made after the 80's will say "police" on the receiver. The coating is like parkerization but is not, if you get it you need to rem oil the begerbiers out of the weapon and let the oil sink in just like a parked gun though.

What you are getting is Remington's Home Defense shotgun and at $359 it is a good price. Check the prices on "www.budsgunshop.com" for comparison and remember you still have to pay the transfer fees and background check, $35 to $50 depending on what shops are charging.

While it is not a police gun it is several hundred cheaper and still a very good shotgun, if you are new to shotguns shoot me a line and I can answer questions and hook you up with a forum where you can ask anything you like and get an answer within hours.

Bottom line, sight unseen, it is a good deal if it is new.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
That is still a express based model. I believe the older real police model was based on the wingmaster's internals and fitting.

870 is still a great gun. But purchase a replacement extractor and ejector. This is the 2 weak spots on the shotgun. I think the magazine follower and spring is another weak spot. That loading ramp duckbill and spring I also keep around. Just looks like I can screw it up some day.

Once you get those problems solved, it's pretty close to wingmaster reliability.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
Some agencies sent theirs out to be parkarized as a way to cut maint costs. If the gun needed a refinish, parkarizing was the way to go. The etension to a 7 round tue was an upgrade too. The shop selling it may have done the upgrade as a selling feature.

I dig my 870. Simple and goes bang every time.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
A local gun shop is having a sale on Remington 870 18" Barrel 7+1 shot for $359. They say it is a parkerized "police" model.

However I could not find anything about a police model on the Remington website. If the model does exist, is it good or bad? How's the price? Is parkerized the best coating I can get from a manufacturer?
I don't know which model exactly you're talking about, but surely it's 6+1 (2.75" shells)?

I have 870 Express Synthetic 7 Round with 18" barrel and mag tube comes all the way out flush to end of barrel, but it is 6+1. Unless the mag tube came out several inches beyond the end of the barrel, I don't see how it can hold more than 6.

Here's the model I have:

- OS

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That pretty much looks like it. What is the finish on the metal? Parkerized? The magazine only comes flush with the barrel and the barrel being 18"

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went Rem 870 tactical for $479 'cause the barrel threading for chokes (hunting and HD). Love it. Could do without the mall ninja breacher choke though. I do like the ghost rings sight, those most say you only need a bead.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nothing "wrong" with the 870 Express shotguns. Remington has/had a $30 off coupon for them recently as well.

If you get it, I think the 2 things most folks replace are the spring and follower in the mag tube.

Beyond that, if you really want to have a side saddle, spend the money for a good Mesa Tactical instead of the $30 tac-star brand. Mesa is more reliable and just works a bit nicer. The Tac-Star side saddle is a bit more brittle and less forgiving.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I do like the ghost rings sight, those most say you only need a bead.
I went to another 3-Gun shoot in Langhorne, PA, last weekend. Several of the guys just running beads missed A LOT, including one person who I know is a cop!!! Mostly shooting over the targets. Those running rings or optics (like me) smoked the course.

Jim

·
Roll Tide y'all !
222 Posts
I am looking at the 870 at WalMart for $247.....$30 rebate from Rem....then I might order a 870 18" barrel listed on Mossberg's website (they make them) and I will still come out purdey sweet compared to most prices I have seen.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I am looking at the 870 at WalMart for $247.....$30 rebate from Rem....then I might order a 870 18" barrel listed on Mossberg's website (they make them) and I will still come out purdey sweet compared to most prices I have seen.
Yep, that's a good way to go.

- OS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts