Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally made a decision and bought a Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge With a 28' Barrel and a Modified Choke, and I was hoping to get some advice from you more experience folk! I was wondering what Ammo to use in the following Conditions;

- Hunting Small Birds (Quail, etc)
- Hunting Large Birds (Turkey, etc)
- Hunting Small Game (Rabbit, etc)
- Hunting Medium Game (Deer, etc)
- Hunting Large Game (Moose, etc)

The reason why I want to narrow this down so much is because I want to save as much money as possible on the types of Ammo I have to buy, so if I can narrow it down to a few different types I will be a happy man!

Thanks for the help!

Oops! I made a mistake on the Title, it's actually a Remington 870 Express ...

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
- Hunting Small Birds (Quail, etc) 6 shot high brass
- Hunting Large Birds (Turkey, etc)Turkey loads
- Hunting Small Game (Rabbit, etc)7-8 shot , low brass
- Hunting Medium Game (Deer, etc)slugs, 00 buck
- Hunting Large Game (Moose, etc)slugs
Slugs on the big stuff , 00 buck is iffy at best , seen it work wonders , seen it fail .....................slugs . Look for the rifled ones and try a few different brands to see how they shoot . With out a rifled barrel it could be hit or miss .

A 12 is a little big IMHO for rabbit and tree rats , but to each his own .

·
S&W Fan
50 Posts
Small Birds - #6 shot, low brass
Large Birds - Turkey loads, SF choke
Small Game - #4-#8 shot, low brass
Medium Game - 1 oz. slugs, 00 buckshot (00 buck doesn't pattern well)
Large Game - Slugs and a prayer!

If you want to get the most out of your 870, buy another barrel. You can shoot birdloads, buckshot, and some slugs with the field barrel you have, but you can gain alot by shooting Sabot Slugs from a Rifled Barrel. I have each, and both of them have served me very well.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
- Hunting Small Birds (Quail, etc)- 6-8 shot Modified
- Hunting Large Birds (Turkey, etc) 2-4 shot full choke
- Hunting Small Game (Rabbit, etc) 6- 7 1/2 IC choke
- Hunting Medium Game (Deer, etc) rifled slugs, may I suggest Federals truball-IC only
- Hunting Large Game (Moose, etc) Brenneke K.O. rifled slugs...going want maximum penetration on something that size. IC only

If you;re going to stick with the field barrel may I suggest getting IC and Full chokes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions folks ..

I have come to the conclusion that I may have to stick with the modified choke on the 870 as it is (For now) so knowing this, would you make any alterations to what ammo to use? If you have a link to a particular brand you like to use I would appreciate the advice!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Looks like they have your question covered rather well. Good choice on a shotgun.

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
- Hunting Small Birds (Quail, etc)
- Hunting Large Birds (Turkey, etc)
- Hunting Small Game (Rabbit, etc)
- Hunting Medium Game (Deer, etc)
- Hunting Large Game (Moose, etc)

Small birds - 8 shot
large birds - 4 shot
small game - 6 shot
medium game - 00 buck or slugs, your preferance
large game - hollow point or soft tip slugs

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I do believe SHWND has it sown up there. I love my 870!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I want to second what others have said about getting an extra barrel or two if you really want to get maximum usage out of your 870. For my 870 I have a 26" barrel with full and modified interchangeable chokes, a 20" smooth bore barrel with fiber-optic rifle sights, and a 20" rifled barrel also with fiber-optic sights. With this setup I can hunt anything in N. America, in addition to having a shotgun for home defense. The 26" barrel can be used for hunting everything from rabbits and quail to ducks and geese. The 20" smooth bore can be used for deer hunting with either rifled slugs or 00 buck shot. And the 20" rifled barrel turns the 870 into a big bore rifle. The Hornady SST slugs I shoot deliver a 300 grain .50 caliber bullet at 2000 fps and 2" groups at 100 yards. That is basically the same performance you get from modern inline muzzleloader rifles... out of your shotgun! This is what I use for my elk rifle when I am hunting in the dark timber. Dropping a moose would be no problem either. The only down side is the sabot slugs are very expensive... about $2 per round! They kick like a mule too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts