Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
woo pig sooie
55 Posts
Cousin bought one a year or so ago. He mainly uses it a couple times a year at deer camp. I doubt if it will shoot minute of angle, but it will shoot minute of deer. If you are gonna hunting a couple times or just want something to be able to let someone else use, I'd say go for it. If your serious about accuracy and want a great slick bolt action, I'd pass. For The deer woods, I'd say yes.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
anyone have any experience with these??

are they worth the cheap price?
Short answer: No. Much better off in budget land with one of the following:

Savage Edge, Ruger American, or even Marlin X7. And I do mean much better off.

·
Tactical Sommelier
1,081 Posts
much Much MUCH better off!

There are $400-450 Remington 700 COMBO DEALS W/ SCOPES all day long at ****'s Sporting Goods, Gander Mtn. etc. Some have camo finished stocks, some have stainless steel bbls, some have heavy varmint barrels, just whatever you could want.

The 770 is a gun made with parts they do not accept for the regular 700s and this is not good. I guarantee you, for what that is worth on here, that if this thread went 10 pages, 10% MAYBE would say "oh my 770 is fine , no problems" and the vast majority would say NOOOOOO RUN RUN FOR YOUR DEAR LIFE!!

I considered one back in early 2010.... the Remington 700 SPS Varmint combo was $499.99 ( a steal really) but the 770 combo was $349.99 ... looked like a good deal! I did some research and was shocked at the vile hatred for peoples 770s that they thought they were literally bamboozled with broken guns from the jump.

RUN To a 700 ADL/SPS combo, a Savage Axis, the Ruger/Marlin (I am a Remington or Savage guy myself but my esteemed colleague is right that those Rugers and Marlins are well known popular guns)... do not pass go, Do not collect a busted gun, Do it do it.

·
R.I.P. my USA, 1776-2008
2,479 Posts
anyone have any experience with these??

are they worth the cheap price?
We get a lot between seasons for repair. Sadly, Remington is name only now as far as quality and customer service goes, with their customer service taking the greatest fall. One year non-transferable warranty, poor QC. It's sad actually.

Unless you're a Remington aficionado, do yourself a favor and fondle a Savage Accutrigger Model in the caliber of your choice. Adjustable trigger, wood & synthetic stock options, scoped combos, etc. They retail for about $389 plane Jane to about $450-$499 for a scoped combo with camo stock.

Something for you to think about ...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I won a 770 300 mag stainless and I must of got a good one. The bolt cycles quite good and it will shoot .75 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards with Federal blue box ammo.
I hunt on the northern U.S. boarder so it sees lots of rain and snow and so far it has gone bang every time I pull the trigger. I have other more expensive rifles but I see no reason to take them out in the rain and snow.

It's butt ugly but gets the job done for me and I don't have to worry about banging up an expensive rifle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts