Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a semiautomatic Deer Hunting Rifle that can also be used as a survival weapon. My current bolt action is a Savage in 30.06 and I have a comfortable supply of 30.06 ammunition. I am not looking to debate 30.06 vs .308, just looking for semiauto options in 30.06. I already have a Bushmaster M4 Clone and have stocked up on .556 ammo. I really don't want to add another MBR caliber ammunition to the mix.

How is the Remington 750 in 30.06?.....Carbine vs Regular..I know the 742 has rail problems...I own one
BRowning BAR in 30.06?
Any other options?

Thanks for the input

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Browning (expensive) is a tried and true favorite. Issue is that as a survival weapon, it is not really built up for that purpose. It is a fine hunting rifle, not a drag through the mud beater.

An original M1 Garand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand_rifle) is going to be your best starting point for a rifle. They can be cooke dup to be very vry accurate, tried and true action and designed to be abused.

06' in one of these is a great combination.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that the older Garands cannot handle the newer 30.06 loads. Are the newer versions capable of handling the newer ammunition?

I would love Remington 750 feedback from others

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
I have not heard of any restrictions for a Garand. What is the issue? Too much powder/modern formulas damaging the action?

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Do the reworked ones have the same issue?

EDIT - http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=81027

Found an old discussion on this. Sounds like there are varying opinions on the Garand and that you can put in a moderate gas port in order to tune the rifle to different loads.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I understand that the older Garands cannot handle the newer 30.06 loads. Are the newer versions capable of handling the newer ammunition?..
Umm, what is a cutoff date to define a "newer" Garand?
I mean, the last ones were made in 1957.

The guys I know who have Garands say that civilian .30-06 WILL trash the op rod, at the least. Not a matter of if, but when.

And AFAIK, the only real source of military ball is now through CMP, which usually doesn't have any.

There was one ammo company supposedly starting to make or already making a commercial round for Garands equivalent to the military ball, but was pricey. Was it Hornady?

- OS

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
We're talking about using a semi auto deer hunting rifle as a battle rifle. This has been hashed several times just since I came on board a year or so ago. I was of the same camp as you. I have become convinced that today's semi auto deer rifles are not made to stand the rigors of battle.(bolt actions stand a better chance). And I now own a SOCOM II and (I never thought I would say this) an AK 47(that I actually really like). SeekHer can point you to all the tech. aspects as to why you don't need to make the stretch from deer rifle to battle rifle.(but battle rifles have always made great deer rifles). Do a search of his posts and of the other threads that relate to this topic. Hope this helps......boot.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The guys I know who have Garands say that civilian .30-06 WILL trash the op rod, at the least. Not a matter of if, but when.
Poppycock!

If you can read, you can buy safe ammo for a M1 Garand. All the boxes now have FPS ratings on them.

Do not exceed 150-155gr bullets, and 2700fps.

I have piles of Remington ammo I bought when it was $6 bucks a box. Every last box when though my Garand.

That was like 5 or so years ago. It still is chugging right along.

There is no finer 30-06 semi gas gun made, period

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
yes, springfield armory a few years ago rebuilt thousands to unissued condition and they can still be found for sale.......
I think he is referring to the rebuilts done by Springfield and Fulton and etc.
Ah, okay.
Mea culpa to mazlune if that's what you meant.
"Springfield made them" didn't indicate refurb to moi.

- OS

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Poppycock!

If you can read, you can buy safe ammo for a M1 Garand. All the boxes now have FPS ratings on them.

Do not exceed 150-155gr bullets, and 2700fps.

I have piles of Remington ammo I bought when it was $6 bucks a box. Every last box when though my Garand.

That was like 5 or so years ago. It still is chugging right along.

There is no finer 30-06 semi gas gun made, period
Okay, that's good to know.
I'll run that by my Garand shooting buds.

- OS

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
It's OK not to mix you SHTF firearms with your hunting ones. Remington versus BAR, I'd get the BAR. Browning BLR is another option too.

Garands and modern ammo. I hear it is ok to use federal american eagle in 150gr on garands. They are loaded with slower powder and is recommended by one of the leading makers of rebuilt garands.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mazlune:
You have said
"I am looking to get a semiautomatic Deer Hunting Rifle that can also be used as a survival weapon. My current bolt action is a Savage in 30.06 and I have a comfortable supply of 30.06 ammunition."
I may end up delivering the minority opinion here but if you have a good bolt action .30-06 ( that is .30 caliber rifle cartridge for year 1906) I think you have one terrific classic survival weapon / caliber already. I would not consider a semi-automatic .30 caliber rifle for survival unless it was designed to full mil spec. Firearms built for the civilian market are not intended to act as a battle rifle and if they fail in a survival situation (and trust me, the more self moving parts) the more often things break, I just wouldn't go there. Thirty caliber cartridges give the gund and their shooters a beating and only mil spec ones will keep on ticking after taking that licking for years.
There have been some good points on this thread about things like shooting modern commercial ammunition in an older rifle. I would bet most late model Springfields could do it without problem but I have heard that some of the Garands will not, but have no personal experience to back it up.
Just my $0.03

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Garands and modern ammo. I hear it is ok to use federal american eagle in 150gr on garands. They are loaded with slower powder and is recommended by one of the leading makers of rebuilt garands.
Yeah, two of my Garand buddies have already told me that speed of powder burn is more critical than bullet weight or amount of powder/FPS.

They say adjustable plug is the way to go to be really safe if you're going to shoot anything but military issue.

I've shot several Garands, but not owning one, can only go on what others' say.
Apparently the operating rod is about the most expensive part to replace on the whole rifle?

- OS

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Remington 750 in 30-06

My brother and my dad both shoot a Remington 750 in 30.06. As far as I know, its a perfectly fine firearm. Both my dad and brother have taken lots of deer over the years.

In fact, last year my dad took a nice 8 point whitetail deer with his Remington 750.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I wouldn't disagree Kev. I thought the question was about the use of such a firearm for sustained survival and if necessary battle applications. In which case I wouldn't bet the farm on a commercial standard hunting semi-automatic rifle in .30 caliber.
In my experience one of the greatest problems if one has to go in semi-auto sustained fire mode is of course the limitation of the magazine and fact that civilian firearms are not designed to deal with the barrel and chamber heat generated in continued high rate of fire situations.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Check out the 700 series also. Bolt-action, in many circumstances, can be more accurate. The selling point of a civilian rifle isn't high/automatic rate of fire. Rather, it'll be accuracy. (There's no law against accuracy.) Therefore, the CDL (wood furniture) and stainless lines in 700 bolt-action are fine rifles in that regard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.