Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Contents Under Pressure
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting my first long gun, and have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I like the 20" barrel that the tactical offers (I don't really plan on shooting over 500 yards, probably not over 250), and it comes in a left handed model.

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle? Thoughts, Likes/Dislikes, etc.?

Also can anyone recommend a good scope? The primary use will be target shooting. (max @ my range is 200 yards) Secondary use will be deer hunting about once a year. Third use (and hopefully never) will be for a SHTF situation.

Thanks In Advance,

Pro-Pain

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
I have two,great rifles of course you can customize,I added a mcmillian stock,tiemany trigger,Krieger match fluted barrel,and optics at least a 10x,Most sniper systems are built on the 700 platform.You cant go wrong withit.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Had the privilage of putting a few rounds through one at a range not long ago.

It's a great system, and lighter than I anticipated due to the barrel and stock. Very good gun, though it wouldn't hurt to go with a longer/heavier barrel. As far as hunting/Shtf with it, the bulk of the weight is the heavy .308 rounds. Definitly stockpile ammo for her at your BOL.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Its a great rifle. If its what you want, get it. For me, I sold my heavy barrel .308 and all .308 rifles years ago in favor of semi auto 5.56 and .30-06 bolt rifles with regular taper barrel.

Sold an FN FAL, Rem. 308 and lastly a Springfield M-1A. Why, weight and ammo cost.
AR -15 or Mini 14 can be used by me or wife or others smaller in size. .308 tended to limit users. With that decision made, and with only one .308 left, why keep the heavy barrel Rem? Its very cool, very accurate, but no more accurate than my Weatherby .30-06's. I can and do hunt with the .30-06's. I will not be carrying a heavy barrel rifle in the hills of the Pocono Mountains or Southern Adirondack range.

Bottom line, they are great if that is what you are looking for. If they guys you shoot with are in the bench rest croud, its perfect. If you plan on carrying it, perhaps a regular taper barrel is a better choice? Look at both.

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
i have one in 223 for target shooting, it will shoot under .5moa with handloads and i have shot it to 500 yards,i am very happy with it so far, only cons so far, 1) flimsy forestock, it may conact barrel when using a bipod,
2) a detachable mag or extended mag would increase the fun(tactical) facctor

·
Domestic Terrorist
243 Posts
Picked one up a a gunshow in October of 08. It's a SPS tactical in 308. Currently limited on ranges and quality optics. Just have a cheep Nikon scope and havent been able to take to any ranges that have distances greater than 200 meters.

The rifle itself is nice considering its a bolt rifle that cost less than $600. The action was a little rough before I worked on it a little. Nice groupings at 200 meters. Like Matty said the stock is a little flimsy when using a bipod, I don't really care, the distances I shoot it doesn't really matter. Not the best rifle I've seen but great for the price.

·
Survivalist
130 Posts
i have two 700s both in .308

it will get the job done

the scope doesn't need to be expensive
just look around and get something that works for you

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I am a Sniper with my department and I have a Remington 700 issued to me. The truth is I don't have much experience with the gun yet due to the fact that I haven't been a Sniper for very long.

However I have put a number of rounds through the gun and even to took a doe with it this year. Due to the heavy barrel, it is definitely not suited for snapping the gun up and making quick shots. In fact any off hand shot would be less than ideal.

I had a chance to take a doe that was moving and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get a good sight picture in time to take the shot.

However for shooting supported, you can't miss. I shot the deer with a pair of forked shooting sticks and it was very solid.

A great sniper gun, but form most hunting situations I think I would take something lighter in the front than mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts