Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to some opinions on Remington's nylon 66 .22 rifle. I've had mine since I was about 11, and still have it 29 years later, and still shoots perfectly. Mine is an Apache Black made in march of 1974.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
An OLD friend of mine has one , he constantly brags about how good it shoots. But I always seem to put up tighter groups with my 10/22 than he does with his 66, could be that I am just a better marksman than him. Mmhmmm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was my first .22, but I have long since departed with it. They shoot alright, but that nylon stock is not really rigid enough to provide a decent launch platform. They're also not all that easy to take down, though they really don't need much maintenance.

Their biggest advantage is their light weight, so if you gotta lug something around on your back, this gun with five hundred rounds of ammo is pretty hard to beat. It'll kill rabbits and squirrels reliably, and rats... both the human variety and the rodents... are no problem either.

I've been half-heartedly looking for another one, but the only one I know of for sale locally is a badly rusted over-priced POS that is missing its clip. I'll stick with my old Remington single-shot.

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
I have had mine for 36 years. Lubed correctly and cleaned after every shoot it has served very well. I certainly would not want to be on the receiving end of those 13 rounds. I can't remember ever having a jam other then attempting to us up old ammo. Mine is the standard brown stock with blued steel. Still it is in almost new condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I absolutely love mine! The Nylon 66 I have is the Mohawk model with blue steel, brown stock, and tubular magazine. Bought it used and rusted in 1979 and have dispatched numerous cats, rats, snakes, turtles, cans, etc. I thought it was super accurate because I hit everything I shot at with it so I put a scope on it. It turned out to not be that accurate just very shootable. Mine goes with me in the truck or on the 4wheeler on deer hunting trips, camping, etc. and is kept with a loaded mag and empty chamber ready to pop what needs popping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also had the Apache Black 66. I had it when I was still in the Navy in the early Seventys. I Loved thwat rifle. Super accurate and never had a misfire or any problem of any kind. As I recall the only thing I had to watch was the front sight screw would losen up, but that was about it. I sure do miss that gun but I gave it to a good friend years ago.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I had one and my ex wife took care of it for me along with 38 other guns. I didn't realize how much I really liked that gun till I saw it mentioned in the forum. Be glad you still have yours. I did save my first rifle, a single shot Remington. I would have to pull it out of the safe to see the number on it.

When I was a kid you could still mail order guns through American Rifleman and other mags. I bought an 1891 Mosin Nagant rifle made by Remington Arms and still have it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts