Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rem 700 Vs Rem 78 Sportster

I was at the gun store today looking at 30-06/ .308's around $300. Several posters had recommended the Savage 110 here on the board. As I was telling the guy behind the counter what I was looking for, he immediately went and grabbed a late 1980's Remington Model 78 Sportster. I was not familiar with the Model 78 and he explained that it was the poor man's 700. Same trigger etc. with cheaper stock and barrel.

The asking price was $299 with Leopold base and rings but no scope. It felt really good, especially compared to the Savage 110's that I looked at.

Is anyone familiar with the 78? Is this a good deal?

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
647 Posts
It was a 722, and they are fine rifles . Just make sure the bore is in good shape , and it would serve you well. I have owned two in years past , both were chambered to .222 round.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, I just edited my post. I originally posted that it was a Model 72. This was wrong, it was a Model 78 Sportster in 30-06.

Is anyone familiar with the Model 78?

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
I found one on sale from someone on the net and bought it. My best friend owns a local gun shop. After he did the trigger job for me he kept the gun in the store to sell trigger jobs off of. These guns though plain are built better than a current 700 I know the action of the bolt is smoother on my sportsman 78 than on my sps700

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
i shoot an M24 which os a hevilt modified rem 700. I LOVE IT! I'm actually planing on buyin a similar 700... GREAT rifle!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought the 78 sportster today for $300 out the door. Can't wait to shoot it. Can anyone recommend a good scope for this rifle. It has mounts and rings on it but no scope. How much should I spend on a scope?

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
get a lower end nikon or leopold and you will never need to buy another scope for it unless you drive over it. The optics on these compare to the more expensive scopes out there. 150 to 200

1 - 13 of 13 Posts