Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Awakened Citizen
271 Posts
So I know it has been discussed but I was unable to find the thread that contains the info I'm seeking. I read on these boards that Wolf or Tula is fine for target shooting but not in a shtf situation.

Can someone explain why?

I, like a lot of people are on a budget, therefore, I have to buy what I can with what I am able to spend. I buy the Federal 5.56 when its on sale for about $30 and plan to buy a case of Wolf for $100/500rds. I have a few Lake City Green Tips but for $100/300 of those, I can get 500 Wolf.

I'm sure either brand will still be lethal, no? I think of this because I've had a couple dreams recently in which one, I had fmj Tula rds in my Ar and while defending myself, the person kept coming and when I woke, I had the need to stock up on Lake City Ammo haha.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I can't speak for AR's, I never fired steel cased from mine.

However, I do rely on steel cased wolf for my SKS, which is my go to rifle over the AR right now.

My take would not be the round, which has reliable powder and primers, it's the gun itself.

IF your gun has a chrome lined chamber, I'd say yess, If it does not, I'd say maybe.

Any ammo is better than no ammo.

No one knows how much ammo you need. You might not even need one round. However, you should atleast have a little bit of ammo. Why not have the best ammo you can get for that little bit.

This is what I do for my go to rifles. I have roughly 10-20% of quality hunting grade ammo. Soimething with expansion, and the remain is affordable stuff.

Once I gain proificiency and buy a spare rifle for the AR, the AR will be my goto rifle.

I will probably stock up on brass cased ammo, only because I reload. The smaller quantity of quality ammo will probably be remington cor-lokt 55gr soft points or maybe the V-max.

The SKS rifles are wolf 123gr FMJ or HP. The HP are kind of useless, they really do not expand. I can't speak for the .223 rounds, but I would still bank of FMJ for wolf.

The SKS rifles are a combination of 3 rounds. Sellier and Bellot 123gr soft points, brass cased reloaded with hornady v-max plastic tip 123gr, and steel cased hornady v-max.

The brass cased rounds are in the go-to bags for the SKS rifles. You never know how long your going to be out. Those grey polymer coated rounds rust out real easy. A month or two out in the elements, or even a couple of rainy nights and there will be pitting on those rounds. It could easily make the gun failure to eject.

·
Registered
177 Posts
From what I have been told. The Wolf and Tula ammo is lacquer coated steel cased. Over time the lacquer will melt in your barrel and is a real problem to get out.

This is what I have been told. I do not buy it personally. I only purchase the Lake City Federal ammunition. I usually wait for to go on sale, then purchase as much as I can afford at a time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jimbo, I rely on Russian spam canned 5.45. Great stuff, the Commies actually do a few things well. Much of Russian military ammo is produced by Tula IIRC. I have yet to have a single issue with the Russian surplus ammo that I have used, not one. That being said, I am more of an AK guy, so I don't know if steel cased ammo affects the AR in terms of abrasiveness, or other ways. I just know the stuff always goes BANG.

·
Red Neck American
738 Posts
Ive always shy'd away from cheap ammo. In most cases, I find it is extreamly dirty ammo.
Ill relate to hunting... When that big buck walks out, I want to know that I am fireing the best possiable ammo.
Ill relate to fishing, Before every days start, and after Ive caught a few fish, I change the hook. I change line at least yearly on the reels, Because, again, when that 'Big one" bites, I want to know that Im fighting with the best possiable line and the sharpest hook.
Why take chances with less then the best, when the oppertunity for that one good shot presents its self? and granted, if your life doesnt depend on it, sure, tota a bunch of cheapo's to the range, cut paper all day, then go break the weapon down and clean it out... no wrong in saving a few $$$, but be sure to load a few high quality rounds in, and be sure of their preformance, as they can differ greatly from the cheapo's..

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Worked for the Soviets in WWII (also, the Germans used steel cased ammo). "Charlie" got good results in Southeast Asia too. Just sayin'.

Al

·
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry
2,016 Posts
I used to believe the "only shoot brass in an AR" crap. The only way to know if your rifle has any issus with it is to try it. I've shot well over 5,000 of steel cased alone through my AR. I had two failures to extract due a worn extractor spring. The overall round count then was about 5,000. A properly built firearm should be able to shoot ANY ammo. If it doesn't, I'd fix it or replace it. The only small exception to this would be with certain pistols and hollowpoints. Some hollowpoints have a really steep angle that will lead to misfeeds.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think the whole anti-wolf theme came from early lacquer coated rounds being fired in tight AR chambers gumming up the chamber. Wolf went to a polymer coating to reduce those issues.

Like others have said, Wolf, aka, Tula, is used by the Russian military, so how can it be all that bad? Stick with new production ammo that works in your gun(s), weather it's Wolf, Federal or whatever. Happy shootin'

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Try Silver Bear ammo in your 5.56. These are Russian and steel cased but are not lacquer or polymer coated. The cases are zinc plated and feed/extract 100% in an AR like brass.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Try Silver Bear ammo in your 5.56. These are Russian and steel cased but are not lacquer or polymer coated. The cases are zinc plated and feed/extract 100% in an AR like brass.
X2. If you insist on shooting steel use the Silver Bear. That's good stuff for steel cased ammo. I have had mixed results with steel in ARs. Only one of my AR's will run steel reliably (my PSA). My RRA will not, and my old POS Olympic wouldn't run steel at all. FTE's constantly.

Now in an AK? No problem... :thumb:

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
I don't shoot steel but it has been said that steel is harder on the AR extractors and alot of steel ammo is known for dirtier powder. As mentioned, many AR's don't like steel, some shoot it fine. Nothing wrong with having a good supply for plinking or for just in case but it is not what I would keep in my home defense / combat mags.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have ARs and a 5.56 AK. I have steel case for the AK to play with but when the balloon goes up its all brass case for all of them. Had to many problem with 40 rds of steel cases in my AR to ever let it touch the guns again.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Maybe you should reconsider that caliber, and move up to the 7.62x54R round by adding a Mosin. A round that dropped a lot of German Stormtroopers with one shot kills.....and, Russian snipers had no problem making 800 yard plus shots with a Mosin.
Every month you could buy one 440 round spam can. Within a year, you would have more than an ample supply of suitable ammo.....

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
So I know it has been discussed but I was unable to find the thread that contains the info I'm seeking. I read on these boards that Wolf or Tula is fine for target shooting but not in a shtf situation. Can someone explain why? I, like a lot of people are on a budget, therefore, I have to buy what I can with what I am able to spend. I buy the Federal 5.56 when its on sale for about $30 and plan to buy a case of Wolf for $100/500rds. I have a few Lake City Green Tips but for $100/300 of those, I can get 500 Wolf. I'm sure either brand will still be lethal, no? I think of this because I've had a couple dreams recently in which one, I had fmj Tula rds in my Ar and while defending myself, the person kept coming and when I woke, I had the need to stock up on Lake City Ammo haha.
TulAmmo won't feed well in either my S&W 9mm or the wife's Sig .380, I won't be buying it again, I wouldn't want a jam or misfire when I need it the least.

It's about $3/box difference to go up to brass cased, boxer primed ammo that I can reload, it's kind of an investment, as I can fire WWB or Federal 3-4 times, TulAmmo is a one time deal, doesn't sound like as good a deal now, does it?

Maybe you should reconsider that caliber, and move up to the 7.62x54R round by adding a Mosin. A round that dropped a lot of German Stormtroopers with one shot kills.....and, Russian snipers had no problem making 800 yard plus shots with a Mosin.
Every month you could buy one 440 round spam can. Within a year, you would have more than an ample supply of suitable ammo.....
I'll second this, although I would keep both calibers, 7.62X54R brass is getting cheaper, so reloading it is a plausible choice in the future, though right now it's cheaper to buy the Soviet surplus ammo than reload good brass......

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Wolf and Tula are well made,some have issues and some dont.
I have shot alot of it in 7.62x39 and in the last 12 years with Wolf I dont think I have ever had a FTF.

You would want to try out ANY ammo you want to stock up on and see how well it shoots in your rifle.
Several years ago I used to have a Norinco Uzi that HATED steel case so I would just buy winchester whitebox brass cased for the little range toy so goes to show,never can tell.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts