Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1911 and was looking to reload some ammo. This is the bullet I was thinking of using and comments will help.....I was looking for a round nose that will load well but mushroom better that FMJ

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=411839

A great bullet for competitive shooting or small and medium-sized game, these high-quality cast bullets are composed of 6% antimony, 2% tin and 92% lead with a Brinell hardness of 15. They are rated to 1600 fps without gas checks. The bullet lube is designed for use with smokeless powder, but it will work with blackpowder firearms that have barrels less than 20" long. The alloy is lab text certified before casting. Bullet lube is designed for use with smokeless powder, but manufacturer says it will work with black powder provided firearm's barrel length is not over 20" long. This is not loaded ammunition.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have a 1911 and was looking to reload some ammo. This is the bullet I was thinking of using and comments will help.....I was looking for a round nose that will load well but mushroom better that FMJ

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=411839

A great bullet for competitive shooting or small and medium-sized game, these high-quality cast bullets are composed of 6% antimony, 2% tin and 92% lead with a Brinell hardness of 15. They are rated to 1600 fps without gas checks. The bullet lube is designed for use with smokeless powder, but it will work with blackpowder firearms that have barrels less than 20" long. The alloy is lab text certified before casting. Bullet lube is designed for use with smokeless powder, but manufacturer says it will work with black powder provided firearm's barrel length is not over 20" long. This is not loaded ammunition.

I keep one of my home built 1911's next to the bed. that is the hand load that is in the chamber(230 gr lead) followed by a JHP, a hard ball and then start all over again with the 230 lead. Never have any feeding problems. The soft lead is good for in the house to keep penetration down if the 1st round doesn't do the job the following rounds will.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I have shot many thousands of this style bullet in 1911's:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=666583

My bullets come from a local guy that has been making bullets for 30 plus years and they feed and function well in my guns. He sizes them to .452.
I load them over 4.0 grains of Hogdon Clays or 5.0 grain of Titegroup.
Another product that will help your reloads function is the Lee factory crimp die:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=716704&t=11082005

·
Registered
428 Posts
just a suggestion but it really not a good idea to keep reloads in a self defense weapon. in the event that you did shoot and kill a perpetrator the d.a. could use the fact that you hand loaded rounds specifically for self defense to prove malice. if you want rounds that will expand well look at winchester ranger or remington golden sabre. they expand reliably and are defensible in court as police departments use both rounds as issue duty rounds.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I don't know what type of DA you have in your court system. But I do know that during the past 36 years I have spent a few hours sitting in District, Superior and Federal Court here in my state. Having reloads in your weapons is not a problem.There have been many law enforcement agency down through the years that have/do use reloads for practice. As a matter of fact during the firearms instructors course I was sent to about 18 years ago the issue never came up in training.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have shot many thousands of this style bullet in 1911's:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=666583

My bullets come from a local guy that has been making bullets for 30 plus years and they feed and function well in my guns. He sizes them to .452.
I load them over 4.0 grains of Hogdon Clays or 5.0 grain of Titegroup.
Another product that will help your reloads function is the Lee factory crimp die:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=716704&t=11082005

Hogdon Clays :thumb:

·
Registered
345 Posts
QUOTE]

A hard cast round nose lead bullet is not going to mushroom. I have dug bunches out of the dirt berm. They came out looking pretty much the same as they went in.

·
Registered
428 Posts
all im saying is there are some unscrupulous district attourneys out there that would try to say that you were making more deadly ammunition (whatever that is) to try to prove malice. remember when the black talon issue was raised in court? lots of people were accused of using maaunition designed to "create horrible wounds that caused inhuman deaths". if you dont believe me google murder cases where handloaded ammunition was used. or check your local law library for cases. it has been used in court and it could be again. our ccw instructor specifically covered this issue in our class, as well as other cases where individuals had used law enforcment only marked ammunition or high grade defense ammo. im not saying that it will happen every time just saying that its a possibility that could be avoided really easily.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is one thing I love about Texas....If you are in my yard the Castle Doctrine comes into play and they are toast......

Thanks for all the info this will be a great help

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
all im saying is there are some unscrupulous district attourneys out there that would try to say that you were making more deadly ammunition (whatever that is) to try to prove malice. remember when the black talon issue was raised in court? lots of people were accused of using maaunition designed to "create horrible wounds that caused inhuman deaths". if you dont believe me google murder cases where handloaded ammunition was used. or check your local law library for cases. it has been used in court and it could be again. our ccw instructor specifically covered this issue in our class, as well as other cases where individuals had used law enforcment only marked ammunition or high grade defense ammo. im not saying that it will happen every time just saying that its a possibility that could be avoided really easily.

There is something wrong when a law abiding citizen is prosecuted for defending himself. I see hand loads as more accurate and a more responsible choice- a better tool for survival in a gunfight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts