Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious on other members thoughts were about reloading prior to and after SHTF for defense and barter. I have been stockpiling reloading supplies the last 14 months and especially the last 2 months as I was informed on 1/1/2012 prices are going up on factory made ammo and reloading supplies as much as 40%. I had one supplier tell me it was due to the Military stockpiling for possible future actions so they are cutting into the civilian market.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Stock piling is one thing, reloading is another. Reloading is not a complex process, but it does have its quirks. If you plan reloading as an integral part of a survival plan, you need to be reloading now. Get your learning curve out of the way before components are irreplaceable. Another item to consider in conjunction with reloading is bullet casting/swaging.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
I don't stock pile components.
I put everything together and stockpile the finished product.
Why put it off. It's alot easier to reload in a well lit room than to try to do it correctly in the semi dark after some event.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I was being somewhat vague on purpose, I have been reloading for several years and I was trying to say and doing a poor job of it that in the event of a SHTF as supplies will be hard to come by I was stocking up extra for such an event so I could continue cranking rounds out. As far as bartering goes ammo will be good as gold and silver and maybe better if world governments go to a cashless society as things seem to be heading.

·
Resident Gold miner
413 Posts
I'm just getting into reloading...stocking up on powder, bullets and so on. It's got to be cheaper than store bought, and is a lot of fun too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
'been reloadin for about 3 months now....I love it!!
My brother and I hope to stay busy all winter long,sittin close to the wood stove cleanin brass,loadin 38's.....45's......223's.....22-250's.

Mama'll keep the dehydrator fed while I'm havin fun!!:D:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Reloading makes sense when you shoot thousands of rounds, or you are reloading for accuracy.

If you want to stockpile ammo, there are lots of low cost options out there.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I would stock up on primers, then powder, then bullets, then brass, in that order. Primers will be pretty much impossible to make after SHTF, powder while way out of my league could theoretically be made, bullets are pretty easy to make if you got the dye and brass will be readily available.

I agree with the others though that I would not feel real safe trading away bullets to desperate folks. I would really hate to get killed by the ammo I traded away.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
I just ordered 1000 new cases of .223 Lake City brass from Midway. I don't know that I'll load 'em, but they will be there if I need them.

I don't see this as barter fodder as much as simply having something to contribute to any group I become part of.

Around here, .223 is the most common round I'm aware of. So having several thousand bullets, primers, and enough powder to load a few thousand makes sense to me.

I also stock a number of handgun bullets, primarily 9mm and .45. Same thing as far as components.

There's the added advantage of the cost. I can reload 9mm using Missouri Bullet lead smallballs (125gr) for about 11 cents apiece. Hard to buy decent 9mm for under 22 cents.

It's even better with .45. I'm reloading 200gr Missouri Bullets (#4 for XD) for under 13 cents per round. That's almost 1/3 the price of factory.

I hope to either join a MAG or form one, and either way, having a large supply of components will help do that.

Reactions: onemoreday
1 - 12 of 12 Posts