Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only guy who like to squirrel away some good handloads for the big day. Trouble is, typical commercial +p type load data is almost never listed by manufactures. This is most common with handgun calibers. What loads have you worked up for your firearms for your SHTF stash?
I am most interested in working up something for 124 gr JHP in 9MM and 55 gr SP in 5.56 NATO.

DISCLAIMER - All loads posted here should be researched and cross referenced with published load data. I, nor anyone here is responsible for your actions. Reloading is inherently dangerous and should not be attempted by anyone without proper training.

There, I said it.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,621 Posts
I know I'm not the only guy who like to squirrel away some good handloads for the big day. Trouble is, typical commercial +p type load data is almost never listed by manufactures. This is most common with handgun calibers. What loads have you worked up for your firearms for your SHTF stash?
I am most interested in working up something for 124 gr JHP in 9MM and 55 gr SP in 5.56 NATO.

DISCLAIMER - All loads posted here should be researched and cross referenced with published load data. I, nor anyone here is responsible for your actions. Reloading is inherently dangerous and should not be attempted by anyone without proper training.

There, I said it.
Sorry, I do not load 9mm 9r 5.56 any more.

I do have substantial amounts of reliaded ammo in 40 cal, 10mm, 357 and 44 mag, 30-30, 7.62x39, 308, and 270 win.

Reloading is a skill based on experience and folks need to develop their own loads.

·
Premium Member
12,048 Posts
.44 mag for my Winchesters 94,92, S&W 629 and Ruger Redhawk

240gr sierra jhp over 11.1 unique

240gr anything over 23.0 Imr4227

310gr hardcast (Gas Check) 20.0 imr4227

Berry's 240gr plated 17.5-19.0 Acc #9 for plink'n

MAXIMUM LOADS reduce 7%

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I do not load anything +P. I find suggested starting load to work well. If I need more power, I'll grab a more powerful weapon. I tend to load and shoot lighter loads. My philosophy is one in the 10 ring is better than 10 in the air. My favorite load is 3 grains of bullseye behind a 148 gr wad cutter in 38 spec

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree in philosophy with Goat Daddy. I'll load maximum loads per the manuals after working them up in my guns, but I have never made a hot load.

·
Registered
729 Posts
.338 LM.
100g RL 33
Berger 300 Hyb
Lapua brass
2,800 muzzle at 80F @ 3,500 ft elevation
Needs 71 MOA at 2,000 yards on a 24 x 45" target.
:)

805 Posts
I personally find that most of my guns like the loads at the lower end of the manual better accuracy-wise, usually minimum +5%. The exception is my 30-30 that likes 150gr Federal Power-Shok the best. I've never been able to duplicate the accuracy of that load, so I gave up trying and stash the factory stuff.

for 9mm specifically, I've had good luck with 124gr XTP bullets over 4.0 grains of Universal. Accurate and usually expands the bullet (as tested in some water jugs).

·
Banned
6,150 Posts
9 mm = 4.2 four point two gr Promo with 125 gr powder coated cast TC bullet and small pistol magnum primer - only use the magnum primer because I scored many thousands of these last panic

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
My shtf loads are not about flinging them faster it’s more about the ultra premium rounds. Something like tsx or controlled chaos which are over $1/projectile are tested them loaded for hunting load m, 2 or 4 legged hunting.

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
For me it's not about a single load, its about maintaining versatility. I've been compiling data on which powders load in the most calibers that I shoot, or are extremely common/popular as well. Versatility with various bullet weights as well. Some of my favorite current pet loads are with powders that aren't as versatile as I like. I will be starting to work up loads in those calibers with the more versatile powders, but I won't be ditching my other loads until I find one that meets or beats its performance. Right now I'm a bit sidetracked due to all the craziness & lack of availability of various components as well as doing a bunch of loading for my son & a couple of his army pals.

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
along with his idiot buddies Lefty and Pete One Eye :rolleyes:
I guess Elmer Keith is a fool a also. You people have hot rodders like Keith to thank for many modern calibers. Your ideology belongs in England. You know, carrying .32's into the 21st century.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,488 Posts
My pet loads come out of Speer, Hornady or Nosler

My only deviation is where I'm having to use magnum primers in place of standard, then I reduce the load by 10%

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get that many reloaders don't like pushing the pressures up. Most load for accuracy and pleasant shooting , myself included. Handguns are by nature underpowered. Intentionally loading self defense ammunition underpowered is not optimal hpwever. I am not suggesting we all start loading every cartridge to max. Maybe I should have given more detail.

I like to keep 500 or so handloads stored for a SHTF situation. I vet all the brass twice, ensuring only the best. Then load with JHP's or SP instead of the usual cast bullets. I of course keep my guns loaded with premium stuff, Hornady, Speer, or Cor-Bon. Having premium "fodder" as backup or hand outs is the idea. I'll be darned if I'm keeping 1,000 rs of Gold Dots in the pile.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,488 Posts
I'll never get accused of having underpowered ammo :D:

The Speer book (my older one anyways) has some pretty warm top loads listed for 357 & 44 mag

I loaded up some 300, 310 and 320gr hard cast 44's onetime looking for the usual pressure signs but they were very painful to shoot! I backed off, what I load now are still stout though just not as painful

·
Registered
999 Posts
In revolvers I have bottom end loads for target, plinking and loads all the way up to max allowed in the manual. In semi autos I nearly always load close to max just to make sure they function in any gun used.

My unversal 9mm load is a 115gr bullet pushed by 5grs of Bullseye. 38s get shot with a lot of target loads and mid range 158gr SWC lead bullets with a few of my version of +P ammo.

44 mag and 357 get shot mostly with mid range loads like 158gr SWC bullets in 357 cases pushed by 6.6grs of Unique for around 1100fps. Thats my favorite and most used 357 load and works well in my Marlin lever action. 44 mags are sent down range with a charge of Unique around to around 1000fps with a 240gr lead bullet.

But I have no special SHTF loads. To me they are all the same.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I get that many reloaders don't like pushing the pressures up. Most load for accuracy and pleasant shooting , myself included. Handguns are by nature underpowered. Intentionally loading self defense ammunition underpowered is not optimal hpwever. I am not suggesting we all start loading every cartridge to max. Maybe I should have given more detail.

I like to keep 500 or so handloads stored for a SHTF situation. I vet all the brass twice, ensuring only the best. Then load with JHP's or SP instead of the usual cast bullets. I of course keep my guns loaded with premium stuff, Hornady, Speer, or Cor-Bon. Having premium "fodder" as backup or hand outs is the idea. I'll be darned if I'm keeping 1,000 rs of Gold Dots in the pile.
I practice with what I conceal carry. I use xtp’s in winter and gold dots in summer. Hunting I go with xtp’s. I have maybe 1/10 of my reloads are fmj. I just don’t shoot them unless I am sighting in a rifle or getting a large stockpile of a new caliber.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts