Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these at the local Wal-mart in the camping section. They hold 7 gallons of water and are $9.88 here. The reason I bought a couple was for short term water loss, I would have something we could easily move that would hold water for cooking needs. A Plus I found, see pic is they have a spigot that comes with them. When not in use, the spigot stays on the INSIDE of the lid, when you want to use them, you unscrew the lid, take the spigot off and screw it onto the outside for use. Anyone else use these? If they hold up, I plan on getting at least 2 more, to keep cooking water in. thoughts?
Sorry if pics are a bit rough. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well I store mine full, but if I didn't I'd still have the spigot on the outside of the lid. My reasoning is that all manner of nastiness can fall in there and foul the inside of the spigot, which would be a pain to clean out all the time.

I have seven of these filled right now as a back up water supply. Always take one along when car camping. Take two if I'm going really far out from civilization. I like this product. My oldest auqatainer in now 4 years old I think.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
we have 4 at the moment and they are stored full

we have had them for only about 2 years now.....but one of the reasons I like them is because if one of the containers gets tainted for whatever reason, the rest of our supply is hopefully ok

we like them

·
Registered
571 Posts
Honestly depends on the water you put in there in the first place. City water thats been treated by a water treatment facility? Should be ok. I swap out my water when I reset my clocks for the beginning and ending of daylight savings time. Thats probably a good rule of thumb.

I did a test of 4 gallons on cleaned out 2 liter bottles a short while ago. Left them full and not covered in a room for four years. They didn't have an odor or and streamers when I finally moved. Water looked as good as the day I poured it. I just do the six month rotation to be on the safe side is all. All my water is straight from the tap.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have six of the 7-gallon blue Aquatainers. The two oldest I got just before Y2K, and they have been in constant use, always kept full. Only had to use them once, and they have never failed me. The other four are recent buys.

I have two of the green 'jerrycans' and they have failed! If kept full for a long time, they eventually deform and begin to collapse. They also developed pinhole leaks. I filled the pinholes with silicone sealer, and use them for non-potable water (toilet flushing, washing, etc.) only filling them when a storm or other event is nearing.

At one time, I had two of the British black plastic 5-gallon water jerrycans, used in the first desert war - excellent jugs!! Super heavy duty grade! BUT.... I left them behind when I moved once, too quickly. Lost some good emergency gear with them. Ah well, we all learn tough lessons. If you find those type British jerrycans, get them! Best water cans EVER!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well I store mine full, but if I didn't I'd still have the spigot on the outside of the lid. My reasoning is that all manner of nastiness can fall in there and foul the inside of the spigot, which would be a pain to clean out all the time.
OK, this has worked for four years now. Well until Labor Day weekend when something hit my Auqatainer and the spigot snapped right off. Thankfully a buddy of mine gave me several spares that he picked up somewhere. I'm rethinking the whole spigot placement. Maybe have the spigot on the inside with plastic wrap over the hole. I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Picking up extra spigots (or at least gaskets if you can find them) is a good idea. Probably won't be a problem stored but if you turn the spigot in, turn it out for weekend use a lot the gaskets wear out in about two camping seasons.....maybe I spend too much time in a tent....

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I washed mine out when I first used them. I am funny about stuff like that.

I need to check and see if wal mart has spare spigots.

anyone else know where you might find spares?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Found these at the local Wal-mart in the camping section. They hold 7 gallons of water and are $9.88 here. The reason I bought a couple was for short term water loss, I would have something we could easily move that would hold water for cooking needs. A Plus I found, see pic is they have a spigot that comes with them. When not in use, the spigot stays on the INSIDE of the lid, when you want to use them, you unscrew the lid, take the spigot off and screw it onto the outside for use. Anyone else use these? If they hold up, I plan on getting at least 2 more, to keep cooking water in. thoughts?
Sorry if pics are a bit rough. :eek:
Same here. Haven't had any leaking problems from spigot but I also turn it upright just in case to relieve water pressure on the spigot when not actively decanting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.