Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

· Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which cars or trucks are on your short list when looking at a 200k mile vehicle? Certain cars I wouldn't look at not matter what the cost such as a Nissan Sentra with a CVT or a Kia Optima but there are plenty of decent vehicles that have stood the test of time both in reliability and "cool factor".

I haven't had many 200k cars or trucks but a few years ago I bought a 1996 Toyota T100 with the 3.4l engine and that thing was stellar, it had just the right amount of "character". I bought that truck for cheap and had my mechanic do a once over he installed a timing belt and a few other small things $500-600 (?) but it just felt right, it ran great and I wasn't embarrassed to be seen in it. I sold the T100 and bought a 1995(?) Toyota Tacoma with 4 cylinder, once again I had my mechanic give it a once over and that thing just ran without issues, not as cool as the T100 but it was a very basic truck that I could work on it was reliable and to some extent is timeless(?).

If you were looking for a 200k mile car or truck which vehicles would be on your short list and which ones wouldn't be on your radar?

Attachments

· Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
67,845 Posts
Which cars or trucks are on your short list when looking at a 200k mile vehicle? Certain cars I wouldn't look at not matter what the cost such as a Nissan Sentra with a CVT or a Kia Optima but there are plenty of decent vehicles that have stood the test of time both in reliability and "cool factor".

I haven't had many 200k cars or trucks but a few years ago I bought a 1996 Toyota T100 with the 3.4l engine and that thing was stellar, it had just the right amount of "character". I bought that truck for cheap and had my mechanic do a once over he installed a timing belt and a few other small things $500-600 (?) but it just felt right, it ran great and I wasn't embarrassed to be seen in it. I sold the T100 and bought a 1995(?) Toyota Tacoma with 4 cylinder, once again I had my mechanic give it a once over and that thing just ran without issues, not as cool as the T100 but it was a very basic truck that I could work on it was reliable and to some extent is timeless(?).

If you were looking for a 200k mile car or truck which vehicles would be on your short list and which ones wouldn't be on your radar?
I hear from mechanics that the Lexus is almost "bullet proof." I've owned my Chevy Silverado since 2004. It has 132000 miles on it. It's been a great vehicle, but it's currently parked with an electrical issue.

· Registered
8,960 Posts
was looking at the used market for a few months >>> lots of majority mfged overseas vehicles on the market with previously (before Biden) repairable mechanical problems >>> NO SPARE PARTS AVAILABLE

insurance companies "totalling" the vehicles - some are body damage - need body panels vs body pound out & Bondo - ...

some totally repairable with the skill/knowledge + scrap yard scrounging ....

· Registered
I'm pretty comfortable with what I have
107 Posts
My 2005 Silverado went 180k when I sold it. I needed four WD. Picked up a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. Runs like a top. I have had to do some upgrades, some very expensive, but it has a lot of life left. I held out for the 6 speed manual transmission. Worth it.

· Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear from mechanics that the Lexus is almost "bullet proof." I've owned my Chevy Silverado since 2004. It has 132000 miles on it. It's been a great vehicle, but it's currently parked with an electrical issue.
I had a Lexus not that long ago it had dual climate control that was acting up ($1300), catalytic converter issues and it was using oil with "only" 130k miles. That's not to say that Toyota doesn't build great cars but sometimes simplicity isn't a bad thing.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I own and like Toyotas and Hondas. I currently have a 2014 Toyota Corolla and my Daughter has a 2010 Honda civic. Both will easily go over 200,000 miles with regular maintenance. I had a 2010 Corolla with 165,000 miles, but got it totaled in December of 2021. It was uber reliable and I hated when I got crashed and it totaled.
My 2014 Corolla has a CVT transmission, and I have no concerns about it lasting. I believe the key to CVT's (at least Toyota) is to regularly change the fluid. Every 20-25,000 do a drain and refill.
There was publicity around a couple Toyota Tundras going over 1 million miles without needing any major repairs. Of course, they were the V8 variety.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
My old Chevy 2000 K1500 went almost 200,000 with zero issues other than normal maintenance. My current is a 2003 that is getting up there too. I've always had Chevys so maybe prejudiced, but they do last. Also the old Jeeps with the I6 are pretty incredible, I had 2 of them and mechanics talked like they were good for 400,000.....? I never heard anything bad about Toyota either that I recall....
It would depend more on the use that you want....Car/Truck/SUV? Choose that first and then go find your vehicle.

· The Power of the Glave
3,986 Posts
According to Consumer Reports, Toyotas (such as the Corolla) and Honda Civics are among the most reliable high-mileage cars. However, because of this they also tend to be pricier even at 200k miles, than other similar cars.

Lexus is also up there. However they tend to be more expensive.

However---almost any car built in the last 10 years can easily be in great shape, even at 200k miles. It all depends on how it was taken care of.

I commute with a 2007 Ford Focus, that is now at 180,000 miles. I purchased it new, and have always taken care of it. It's never given me any trouble. And I think it could easily have another 100k in it.

A well maintained Chevy Malibu or Ford Focus, is still better than a poorly maintained Corolla.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts