Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Has anyone ever heard of an SKS? JK
The inexpensive unissued Yugo SKS rifles for sale from Samco and Lew Horton are a tempting buy. If I was certain of their ability to fire Wolf ammo with good reliability I would buy several but I see alot of talk to the contrary on the net. For those that own or shoot these rifles or similar ones what do you think? Will it work with most ammo under most conditions? Or should I put my money elsewhere? Can the rifle's issues be resolved? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 2 friends with yugo SKS's and I have shot them myself. Very accurate and reliable and I have never heard them complain. In fact I am trying to get one of them to sell me one since he has 4. *that stingy SOB* lol

·
7.62x39
239 Posts
Every SKS is different it seems. Mine has fed everything except a batch of wolf ammo I bought that was OLD stock.
Since then I have ran other wolf ammo through it and it has worked like a charm.
The gas valve on mine has a tiny bit of corrosion on it which could have caused the bad feeding wolf, but like I said since then I have ran boxes through it and it has fed and eject 10 shells nicely. Only thing I have noticed is distance of ejection, barnaul, golden tiger, etc. go flying way off, but wolf only goes a couple feet out of the gun.
The gun is accurate, feels great in the hands and shoots a powerful shell, reliably. I have one and would not hesitate to pick up another one give the right price.
Make sure you look around, an unissued should sell for about 200-225ish.
One in good to excellent condition in the 180-200 range.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
$250 is still a great price for the quality. There's some superior craftsmanship that went into the Yugoslav weapons made at Zastava. I bought one a few years back and then sold it to my dad. He's fed it an assorted ammunition diet and it's functioned perfectly.

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
Yugo's have a few problems occasionally. Slam firing is common from time to time. Gas tube jam ups have been known to occur. Yugo's are ok I guess. I'm not a BIG fan of them. I'd rather have Chinese or Russian, but those are hard to find often these days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an M59/66 and love it. Usually, you really have to bust some cosmoline first, but it's well worth it.

My first shot was dead on at 150 yds without sighting in, and since it has always been super accurate and reliable.

I second the statement about not modding it out. I played around with detachable magazines, but they're totally not worth it. 10 round stripper clips work flawlessly and i can fit tons in a bandolier. Too many people try to turn their SKS into an AK or AR and then hate on them when they suck from all the modifications.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Buy and never look back.
They aren't making any more and they hard reliable as the sun coming up.
Don't monkey with it.
Leave it stock.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Go with the unissued if possible. I bought a milsurplus issued one and its a basketcase :mad:. After the joy of cleaning off all the knock off cosmoline I found that the rifle was never cleaned properly prior to the snot bath. The gas valve and gas tube are worthless. I have to change the valve, tube and plunger out from a working one just to get this one to work. I even just bought a new valve from CNC warrior to see if maybe that alone would do the trick. It didn't. As a side note the valve from CNC warrior needed additional work with a dremmel to even fit proper.

That issue may be fixed but the cost in parts can not justify doing so when I can just buy a new one. Next problem is the trigger. The sear doesn't hit the right spot most of the time resulting in NO BANG. This I can easily fix by bending to a working position but with the gas problem I have no motivation to do so.

So thats it. For everyone who has never seen or heard of a bad SKS I had the luck to end up with it. Statistically my next one should be a gem :rolleyes:

Reactions: Fishbread

·
Registered
44 Posts
These rifles were made for war and were made to shoot in all conditions. These rifles are great and I have a couple of them. I even took a deer with one. I get 4-5 inch groupings at 100 yards with open sights.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Crypto, thanks for giving me the urge to fix my trigger bar. I read your post, thought that theres no time like the present, tore my yugo apart and just made it happen. I have another yugo so this wasn't a pressing issue but am glad it's taken care of. Works like a champ after I bent the trigger bar up some.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Only drawback I have ever heard of with a yugo is the fact some parts do not interchange with chinese/russian. There are tons of these in country and I have never heard of any problems either. I wish they'd import about 2million more SKS's that took AK mags...I would love to get another!

·
U-960
62 Posts
I've got a few Yugos now and 1 is a UNISSUED.

It came in the factory storage box with it's range book, ammo pouches, sling and other accessories. It was also completly covered in cosmo from front to back, up, down and everywhere in between. I spent a fun Saturday completly dissesembling it and cleaning all the cosmo off with miineral sprits. When I was done I was holding a brand new unfired SKS rifle.

It's not unfired anymore :D: It's been fed a diet of NC Golden Tiger and Wolf FMJ and it works fine. Tight groups and not a hiccup in operation.

I'm toying with the idea of another one for cacheing for a "Rainy Day"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.