Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn’t be more annoyed. In an effort to help the girlfriend wake up I drug her to a Red Cross presentation last night that was centered on emergency preparedness. It was so full of misinformation and outright bad advice that I couldn’t sit still.

Among the information and suggestions they shared were the following gems:

• You only need to be prepared for food, water, shelter for 3 days. (They defended this strongly even when questioned.)
• Having cash on hand is a good idea. They suggest $50.00
• One G.O.O.D. bag is sufficient for a family
• The Red Cross kit contains everything you’ll need in an emergency
• During an earthquake stay in bed and cover your head with a pillow.(!!!!!!)
• We only discuss natural disasters and can’t address pandemics, terrorism, or other events.

In their 90 minute presentation they spent 45 minutes blowing their own horn. They talked about how they could turn out 28,000 meals a day in my area, provide shelter for 60,000 people (see something wrong yet?), could mobilize in 3 days and then discussed how many volunteers they had and how long they’d been a part of the team. (I live in area with a population over 2 million.)

They spent 30 minutes demonstrating CPR (no audience participation) and discussing your liability if someone were to sue.

The remaining 15 minutes was Q&A, during which there were tons of questions, many more than they had time to answer. I questioned being prepared for only three days and asked if that was a minimum suggestion (pointing out that FEMA now suggests two weeks). She again strongly defended their 3 day party line even when Katrina, Japan, 2003 Northeast Blackout, 2009 Midwest Ice Storms, etc. were mentioned.

Ultimately, the presentation was a huge disappointment. In fact, they tried to make a disaster sound like an adventure. They missed so many opportunities to call people to action and instead instilled a false sense of security. Based on what they said, I’m getting rid of all my preps. It looks like the Red Cross has me covered. :headshake:

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Argh! How disappointing! As you say, a huge missed opportunity.

And as for this:

• During an earthquake stay in bed and cover your head with a pillow.
LOL

That's what I used to want to do... Just hide under the covers, wait till the shaking stopped. Duh.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It sounds like the people teaching the class are know it alls,I went to Big 5 for the first time this week and the guy knew everything about firearms that's why he kept calling a sks a 22lr.

·
Native Cracker Cowhunter
1,897 Posts
I never had much faith in them, lost it all after seeing how much they "helped" the citizens of Haiti. I bet they ask for contributions before, during, and after every presentation.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Red cross has its place. any 3 days of preps is a start. most sheeple don’t even have this. Its a crawl before you can crawl situation.

now maybe...just maybe there will be a few who seen this and will start to wake up to the fact that 3 days might not be enough, and relying on the Red Cross might not be an option.

And that they should turn off the TV and consider how they would survive in a serious SHTF.

My suggestion to the OP, it is now time for you to step up to the plate, put together a presentation and start hitting community centers and churches who will benefit from your experience and advice.

The LDS churches have these programs for their people why cant you?

Just a thought…

·
Registered
291 Posts
28,000 meals for 60,000 people? Sure is easy to "house" 32,000 people when they're going to die within a couple weeks of the disaster! Even then, excuse me if I'm not enthused about being fed one meal per day. Don't get me wrong, I'll be first in line to get my share of food if they're offering, but you'll excuse me if I also have my own reserves set aside to supplement that meager offering, Red Cross.

Can't rely on anyone but yourself.

·
Banned
6,420 Posts
I dont know why you are surprised they want you to be dependent on them, any longer then three days you might just figure out you dont need them. Its not another teat of the Govt. Me no like Govt teats. ;)

I am prepping to get rid of these monolithic dependencies programs, they arent needed, at least by me.

You should have taken her to see The Road. That will get her going for prepping.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
They should talk to some of their chapters in the Gulf South! At least the RC folks down here know that "3 days" is a bad joke.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Oh, and after Katrina the best help that got here the quickest was individuals and churches loading up and following the tree crews in. My former church got a truck from a Lutheran church in Illinois by Sunday, two former military members organized a distribution and had a whole semi load given out within about six hours.
(Btw, the most-requested items were duct tape, work gloves, bug spray, and baby supplies.)

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I worked with the red cross during Katrina and it is amazing how much of my own supplies I had to use. I was down helping build temporary shelters, setting up tents and there were not enough tools to go around. I drove my own vehicle down and had almost as many tools as they did. I think they overestimate their capabilities and most of their spokes people have never been on the ground. I keep donating blood but will do my own prepping and not rely on them to save me.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Hey thats a lot better then the British Red Cross. Iv just literally got back from looking at the website and other then dealing with various disasters it never mentions a kit other then a FA kit!

I sent them a message in hope they can put it right. You would think they would get it right. I used to volunteer in one of their shops, and they dont even sell one of their FA kits let alone anything else, not even a band-aid.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
In case anyone was wondering:

"The Red Cross is not a government agency. We are a nonprofit humanitarian organization that relies on voluntary contributions—of time, money, and blood—to do our work. The confusion about our status probably arises from the fact that the American Red Cross is chartered by the U.S. Congress to perform certain functions, such as responding to the needs of disaster victims, that are performed solely by the government in many countries.

Among the fundamental principles under which all Red Cross and Red Crescent societies operate are independence, neutrality and impartiality. These principles require that we maintain our autonomy, refrain from political controversy, and provide assistance based on need, without regard to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions....."

clip from the Red Cross web site:

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site...nnel=477859f392ce8110VgnVCM10000030f3870aRCRD

·
Registered
11,315 Posts
I am so Glad that the Red Cross has me covered.

I quess I will just sell off all of my preps

On second thought Nope

·
Banned
6,420 Posts
In case anyone was wondering:

"The Red Cross is not a government agency. We are a nonprofit humanitarian organization that relies on voluntary contributions—of time, money, and blood—to do our work. The confusion about our status probably arises from the fact that the American Red Cross is chartered by the U.S. Congress to perform certain functions, such as responding to the needs of disaster victims, that are performed solely by the government in many countries.

Among the fundamental principles under which all Red Cross and Red Crescent societies operate are independence, neutrality and impartiality. These principles require that we maintain our autonomy, refrain from political controversy, and provide assistance based on need, without regard to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions....."

clip from the Red Cross web site:

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site...nnel=477859f392ce8110VgnVCM10000030f3870aRCRD
I knew they were private, but they are also a racket, to big, for to long - tax sheltering scam for big money.

Either way, the whole concept is about delegating responsibility for things that you have the power to do yourself.

I think its how inefficient they are that makes me think of them as Govt.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
The only thing that seems to be accurate is their ability to provide shelter to those who have lost their homes. I have seen them do this, and yes they can!

They get the use of the schools and put rows of cots in the gym. Food is mostly donated and it is WHATEVER is donated, but they do provide 3 meals a day. So, their shelters in the school gyms provide a cot, blanket, electricity, and meals. You may NOT bring in pets.

During the ice storms I MUCH! preferred building a fire in the fireplace and staying home. It got dark way too early and I now have battery lights to go with my candles, but it was still better at home.

The Red Cross did an OK job of it, and they helped a lot of people, but I prefer staying in my home to a cot in a gym.

The fireplace was kind of whimpy for heat and so I now have a kerosine heater as well. With kerosine.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I just read that the CEO makes about $450,000 a year, not bad for a "non profit" orginization...

That's $50 grand more than the president makes.

They don't need my money, they just want it.

Everytime there's a disaster, they are right there with their hands out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts