Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jingle Bells,boys and girls. I just got a double handful of various sized desicant packs from the local music store and want to bake them for a spell before using them. I've read widely varying suggestions for this, baking them for just a few minutes up to several hours, and from as low as 150 degrees to as high as 300. Does anyone have any real idea ? Thanks.....M.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
As I sit here I'm looking at a pack of Desiccite 25 that says this right on the pack:

"Reactivation time in bag 12 hours at 245F"

Specification for this particular pack is "MIL-D-3464 Type I & II"

(Oh, and "DO NOT EAT" :thumb:).

-Per.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would suspect it depends a lot on the size and volume of the pack. The packs I have are from a TV dealer. They were packed in with Plasma screen TVs, have the little blue indicator beads that turn pink when the descant is "wet", are made by "Neo-Bead", weigh 10oz, and are 4.5X6 inches in size. I bake them at 250 for about 4 hours. Seems to do the trick and they have been baked at least a dozen times so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear all,

i have this one bag of this:
Descicite 25 MIL-D-3464 Type I & II,
Reactivation time in BAG 12 HOURS at 245 F

my doubt is:
can i put this in an oven just like that?
the packaging won't be burnt?

thanks for any reply
shawn

·
something witty
154 Posts
What you can do is cut the package open (being very careful not to cut too low because you want to reuse the package) and dump the crystals into the tin foil cup cake papers. They are safe in the oven and work great for pouring the crystals back into the package. When the crystals are rejuvenated dump them back into the original package and seal with packing or duct tape. The next time you need to rejuvenate just use a knife to slice the tape.

I have a crap load of desiccant packages and this method has worked well for me for a number of years.

Oh, my desiccant packages says to recharge for five hours at 220 degrees.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,453 Posts
If it's silica gel, anywhere from 200-225 degrees will dry it out. Some of the larger packs contain a clay like substance. They require a bit more heat, 250 or so. None of them seem very heat sensitive though. I have both kinds of packs protecting several gun safes. Each pack has a different temp and time listed, but I toss them all in together and they all come out just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts