Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding 5.56/.223 what is the best round for home defense???....I have a ton 55gr FMJ....wanted to try 75 gr. BTHP Hornady that I saw for sale. My barrel is 1 to 9 twist.

Sorry if this has already been discussed on here

Thanks,

AJ

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
check out ar15.com they have ballistic charts with all different types of ammo, and how it performs, if i remember correctly the 68gr or something like that performs very well as far as stopping power, way more superior than the 55gr FMJ. unfortunatly for me all i have is 55 gr FMJ....

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Regarding 5.56/.223 what is the best round for home defense???....I have a ton 55gr FMJ....wanted to try 75 gr. BTHP Hornady that I saw for sale. My barrel is 1 to 9 twist.

Thanks,

AJ
Hornandy makes TAP rounds which are marketed as defense rounds. There are also home-defense specific rounds, Glaser blue tips, that are supposed to offer minimal penetration and I have heard that they will not go through standard sheet rock walls.

·
Hostile to outsiders
174 Posts
Id go with 45 grain hollow points. For close up work, that should do fine. They wont over penetrate and kill someone down the street

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,213 Posts

Thanks,

AJ
I shoot both 55gr FMJ and the JSP round out of mine and have ample supply of each.

I guess also that maybe a laziness factor of re-sighting for a different round? Ok fine, I'm guilty then. :xeye:

Bottom line, personally both aforementioned rounds have worked quite well both on the range as well as hunting. The 55gr JSP has worked quite well for me and last but not least,... "If it ain't broken? Don't fix it!:thumb:

·
Banned
3,760 Posts

Thanks,

AJ
Won't work.

It is not recommended to shoot bullets heavier than 69 grain from a 1:9 twist barrel.

Wanna shoot 75gr or 77gr HP (which is the best 223 round according to some people) then you need a 1:7 twist. Maybe you can get another upper receiver.

·
Registered
562 Posts
75 or 77 gr will work fine out of a 1 in 9 twist at <25 feet.

I've shot 77 gr SMKs and 75 gr TAP out of 1 in 9's. At 100 yds, I lost quite a bit of accuracy with the SMKs and some were keyholing through the target, so they obviously weren't stabilized properly, but the weapon didn't blow up. :upsidedown: They'll fire.

At <25 ft. the loss in accuracy (<1" at that distance, based on my test) shouldn't matter. The instability might even make them more effective, not less.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,213 Posts
Won't work.

It is not recommended to shoot bullets heavier than 69 grain from a 1:9 twist barrel.
Wanna shoot 75gr or 77gr HP (which is the best 223 round according to some people) then you need a 1:7 twist. Maybe you can get another upper receiver.
Why is this Wolfe? Both my AR's are 1:9 barrels. Is it a stabilization issue?

·
Unseen
667 Posts
Yes, stabilization for bullets that are longer requires a tighter twist such as the 1 in 7. It is not the bullet weight that requires it, it is the length. It just so happens that almost all longer bullets happen to be over the 62gr+ mark.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,213 Posts
Yes, stabilization for bullets that are longer requires a tighter twist such as the 1 in 7. It is not the bullet weight that requires it, it is the length. It just so happens that almost all longer bullets happen to be over the 62gr+ mark.
That's what I thought bro! Exactly! DAMN I'm tired of being right! HA! HA! HA! :thumb:

I've been shooting the 55gr FMJ and JSP rounds since I've owned them. So after the 62gr round is when the tighter barrel is needed due to length! Understand completely!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,213 Posts
Ok, what if you acquire the heavier rounds because that is all you can get let's say in a SHTF arena......what kind of quirks can you expect if you only have a 1:9 barrel?

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
I use Hornady TAP for all my defense rounds, from 9mm to .223/5.56. It is rather expensive though :( I have made some 40gr HP .223 from my bench and they're good defense rounds, just don't use max loads on them, you lose accuracy.

I've got the SP and HP and AP for .223/5.56 from 40gr to 62gr and they all work excellently in my 1:9 twist.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,213 Posts
I use Hornady TAP for all my defense rounds, from 9mm to .223/5.56. It is rather expensive though :( I have made some 40gr HP .223 from my bench and they're good defense rounds, just don't use max loads on them, you lose accuracy.

I've got the SP and HP and AP for .223/5.56 from 40gr to 62gr and they all work excellently in my 1:9 twist.
Great info! Thanks! That makes all the sense in the world! :thumb:

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Yes it's stabilization.

A heavier bullet moves slower. In order to stabilize it you need a certain amount of rotations per second.

If your bullet moves through the barrel slower, the amount of rotations per second will be less too. So, if you're shooting a heavier bullet, you need a faster spinning twist in order to give the bullet enough rotations per second.

It's possible to shoot bullets that are too heavy for you spin, but your accuracy is going to suck. It's only for emergencies.

·
sic transit gloria mundi
858 Posts
It is not recommended to shoot bullets heavier than 69 grain from a 1:9 twist barrel
In almost every case I'd agree with you but Hornady says that their 75gr TAP can be fired from a 1:9. I don't know what it is about this round that is an exception.

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
If at all possible, the next time you purchase an AR or an AR barrel try to get a 1/7 twist. It covers the weight issues very nicely and allows you to shoot just about any grain bullet within reason. The lower grains like the 45 will over spin in a 1/7 causing fragmintation but on average 55+ is what is being used by most so a 1/7 or 1/9 will do just fine for 55grn.Anything over 55 should notice a better performance with a 1/7. I only have one 1/9 twist AR barreled rifle left that used to belong to my daughter before I lost her and I think I only have maybe 2000 rounds of 55grn ammo since I went 62+ years ago. The twist makes a huge differance.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
In almost every case I'd agree with you but Hornady says that their 75gr TAP can be fired from a 1:9. I don't know what it is about this round that is an exception.
The twist needed depends on a lot of things, the bullet weight, but also the amount and the sort of powder behind it, the shape of the projectile etc. If the manufacturer says it's possible I guess it is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts