Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my CETME and AR have high powered optics to reap the benefit if their accuracy. The CETME shoots to about 2 inches and the AR to about a half (off a bench of course, I'm no Wild Bill)

The AK though... I just can't see putting magnification (read that as expensive) on a rifle that I will probably not be shooting at distances over 50 yards or so. But, my poor old eyes just want more than iron sights.

The role of the AK, (it's a '74 in 5.45x39 btw) in my mind, would be my extended patrol weapon. It's more robust and reliable than the AR and I like the 5.45 against soft targets over the 5,56. The AK is not as long, bulky or heavy as the CETME and has a larger, far lighter ammo load.

So I bought an inexpensive (nothing special) Reflex sight and stuck it on the side rail mount and couldn't be more pleased with the result. The field of view is great and it points like a finger. it has four different reticles in either red or green and is as accurate and the weapon itself is capable of.

·
Parapup
692 Posts
congrats! I run primary arms micro dots on my 74's via quad rail handguards, but in retrospect I think your side mount method is superior.

+1 on pics

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have an eotech 512 ontop of my 7.62x39 Saiga Conversion. I wouldn't have it any other way.

My AK get 2" groups at 100 yards though. I do 50 practice drills with 122gr wolf FMJ's or golden tiger. For long range target shooting I use handloads with hornady 123gr fmj heads with H4198 powder and CCI #34 primers.

When it counts, I have a few loaded magazines with selleir and bellot cartridges reloaded with hornady 123gr V-max heads.

I actually shoot a local military rifle match with a mildly worked over yugoslavian SKS rifle. I use hornady fmj. Winchester 123gr FMJ group a touch better. I actually beat close to half the folks shooting there. Most of them have some pretty top shelf AR's and a few M1A's. It's only 200 yards. I real 600 yard match and I'd be beaten hard.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I run a Aim Point Comp ML2 (SBR AR), Trijicon Reflex (AR) and Burris Fast Fire (AK). All work very well and I prefer them over BUIS for 100 yds and under shots. Farther out I prefer the BUIS (SBR is limited to around 300 yds)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run a Aim Point Comp ML2 (SBR AR), Trijicon Reflex (AR) and Burris Fast Fire (AK). All work very well and I prefer them over BUIS for 100 yds and under shots. Farther out I prefer the BUIS (SBR is limited to around 300 yds)

Nice looking fire arms. I also own the trijicon reflex, I love how tough, and maintenance free it is. I also Use the aim point optic on my duty rifle 4-6 months out of the year good solid optic, was a breeze to qualify on I would trust my life on it in an instant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.