Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Refilling 1 lb Propane Tanks

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_11829_11829

After reading the thread re: propane vs. kerosene heaters I was doing some searching and came accross this coupler that allows you to refill your 1lb propane tanks from a larger e.g., 20 lb. tank. I never saw or thought aboutt his before but it seems great! It would allow you to save money by refilling the tanks. I'm guessing when you do the math you would be looking at about $1-$1.50 a fll vs $2.50

This will also be a time saver as you will no longer need to run to the store to pick up a tank at the last minute.

Does anyone have one of these? If so, I'd be interested to hear how well it works. I can't imagine anyone has bought one and been disappointed.

One review that I came accross said that after repated refills (maybe 10) some tanks may not seal properly anymore and be prone to leaking. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Also.... let me know if anyone finds one cheaper than $18.99 on the link above.

·
Warlord of the wastes
707 Posts
Refilling from a bigger cylinder is fine, but you will never get the small cylinder as full as one you buy new. That shouldn't be a problem unless you need them to last as long as a new cylinder. It is possible that the small cylinders will leak after repeated refilling, but most likely it would be a small leak, so just fill them as needed and put them on the regulator right after filled and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
The package clearly states not to use the recharger in the smaller propane bottles as there isa danger of excessive pressure build up and tank rupture................

I bought the device and after reading the warning never had the guts to try it.........

·
Registered
630 Posts
cylinder refill

:thumb:, i have on of those couplers and they do work and i got it from harbor frieght for about 6 dollars, just make sure that you follow the instructions closely.:thumb:

Attachments

·
=)
123 Posts
they work ok...we used to refill ours all the time if you have the refillable ones with the little nut on the top side of the bottle. You do lose a little propane everytime you unscrew the refilled tank to take if off the filler but its no big deal.In my opinion get one but still buy the disposable and use it with your refillables if you have to have them.... we've been doing it since the 70's! the lanterns our scout troop used took those small bottles but you could convert them over to a line and hose to a big bottle but you just couldnt carry it around then....lol i remember many a time sitting refilling a dozen bottles at a time = /
be good
Poison~~~~~~~>

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Refilling from a bigger cylinder is fine, but you will never get the small cylinder as full as one you buy new. That shouldn't be a problem unless you need them to last as long as a new cylinder. It is possible that the small cylinders will leak after repeated refilling, but most likely it would be a small leak, so just fill them as needed and put them on the regulator right after filled and you'll be good to go.
I have to disagree with you on that one. I put a few 1lb cans in the freezer, and the 20 lb tank in the sun. I filled them using the adaptor. When the 1lb cans warmed up to room temp, they started to hiss out of the over preasure valve until they got to a safe level. It is dificult to get them full, but it can be done. It helps to use a full 20 lb tank which has more preasure

·
Registered
240 Posts
my mom got a propane tank from the gas company about 100 gallons and they put on a coupler to fill the smaller tanks with. So my mom calls and gets 100 gallons delivered and then she can use that to fill the tanks on the gas grill or the tanks for the Mobile home etc.

·
Prepared
301 Posts
I have used one for about 20 years. You can fill or over fill the small cylinders by pressing the relief valve in. Be very careful not to over fill them. They will leak or explode.
LP gas is extremely cold. It can burn you in a matter of seconds, so always wear gloves and eye protection. It will expand as it gets warmer and will release thru the valve.

·
Warlord of the wastes
707 Posts
I have to disagree with you on that one. I put a few 1lb cans in the freezer, and the 20 lb tank in the sun. I filled them using the adaptor. When the 1lb cans warmed up to room temp, they started to hiss out of the over preasure valve until they got to a safe level. It is dificult to get them full, but it can be done. It helps to use a full 20 lb tank which has more preasure
I had never thought of that, good idea except you do lose some of the gas. Typically that isn't a problem unless gas is hard to come by for some reason. Either way it's a good use of PV = nRT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts