Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tendency to want to get backups and redundancy for my preps, that is, I don't want all my eggs in one basket if I can help it.

I have at least six ways to produce or store potable water (monolithic filters, calcium hypochlorite, Aquapods, water heater, bottled water, "boxed" water). Given how important water is, having lots of redundancy makes sense to me.

I have a Country Living mill, bought the spare parts and extra burrs for it.

I have a 4000-watt genny; bought a small 900-watt genny as an emergency backup to the emergency backup.

What do you deem so important that you have either stocked spares, identified alternative methods, or bought extras as backups?

Reactions: 357revolverfan

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
Well. First work on primaries and then work on secondaries.

I guess you already have to food. How is that backed up? Plan A and B to grow - practicing now?

If so, I wish I was as well prepared as you. Time to go on vacations.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
I've been doing this since 1984; I'm all about redundancy. I've got contingencies on top of contingencies. (It's this more than anything, that makes my girlfriend crazy...he he he).

Without going into specifics, I've got layers of redundancy on just about everything, starting with water filtration and purification; fire starting; foodstuffs and the means to grow/harvest more; first aid supplies; sharps; and moving on to consumable supplies, tools and implements, etc., etc., etc. Even though I think it highly unlikely that we'll ever have to bug-out, I've even started to fully stock the BOL, so that it will shortly be a stand-alone duplication of what we've got at our primary residence.

I can already imagine it, 20 years from now, when there's been no major SHTF event, my girlfriend saying "I told you so, now what are you going to do with all this crap?!?!" :D: :upsidedown:

We've all used the analogy before: It's a form of insurance. I would much rather be as fully prepared and NOT need it, as opposed to treating preparation like a third-rate hobby and not being prepared for the eventuality, as remote as it might be.

Reactions: goose3

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Spare parts for firearms....... check

Alternative heatign source that requires no electricity...... check

alternative cooking source...... check

alternative water supply...... check

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Ok I could write a book here but I will just do a few things…

Water: Berkey, Katadyn, tablets, Britta, storage tanks (a few of each) Coleman Hot Water on demand (2)

Generator: 8,000 watt, 4,000 watt & 2,000 watt 2 are gas & one is tri fuel 1,500 gallons of gas stored

Solar panels: 3 - 150 watt systems (none set up at this time)

Lighting: Solar LED flood lights, LED in house bulbs

Power inverter: 5,000 watt & 800 watt

Batteries: 6 Deep cycle 12 volt – 10 packs of SureFire 72 count 123 Lith’ batteries – a box of over 250 Energizer AAA, AA, D, C 9volt

Propane: 5/20 pound tanks, 50/1 pound bottles, 1/100 pound, 1/250 gallon

Ammo: Reload

This is just a little bit of what I have going on but I believe in backup for backups and depending on what it is even the backups may have a backup… It depends on storage space and importance...:thumb:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
-Batteries
-Methods for charging batteries
-Handles for splitting malls and axes/hatchets
-chain saw blades (sharpened)
-gun parts (springs, firing pin, gas rings, pins (you get the idea)
-allot of gardening equipment (seems like I always need two anyways cause i always seem to acquire help tending it)
-Engine oil, trans oil, tunes of grease, fuel filters, oil filters, (extra hard to find items for my BOV and ATV)
-propane tanks (full)
-Gas cans (full)
-Means of heat
-Means of cooking
-Means to purify water
-Calibers of guns (to standardize ammo)
-By BOB has some redundant gear set off tot he side, but i don't carry double of anything except nails, matches, lighters, quarters, means to carry water and MRE's

I am sure I missed a few things but this is the brunt of it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I can already imagine it, 20 years from now, when there's been no major SHTF event, my girlfriend saying "I told you so, now what are you going to do with all this crap?!?!" :D: :upsidedown:

We've all used the analogy before: It's a form of insurance. I would much rather be as fully prepared and NOT need it, as opposed to treating preparation like a third-rate hobby and not being prepared for the eventuality, as remote as it might be.
Good point...I would just add that for anyone who downs the being prepared aspect of life...ask them how much money they have wasted on insurance over the years and never needed it or have paid more into it than they did benefit from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts