Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
fallschirmjäger
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've moved to Saskatchewan and had to drive a few times during night. I don't have much experience in night driving in USA or Canada (I drove mainly in Europe), but so far it's pretty much like on a safari. Last month I went to Calgary and on my way back (I left Calgary around 9pm and arrived home at 4 am) I have seen 3 killed deers and about 20 other killed animals like raccoons, coyotes, rabbits. I drive cobalt, so every collision with a deer might be serious, besides it's a waste of a good meat :)

Do you have any methods/tips how to stop deers from crossing a road in front of my car :)?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Honking sometimes works if you see them in plenty of time -- it spooks them and then continue on their way. One thing you should always do is LOOK FOR MORE! If you see one on the right side of the road, look on the left. More often than not (in Illinois anyway), if you see one, there will be more.

Being vigilant, watching more carefully around patches of timber or fields, and not speeding (I'm not saying you are, just a precaution! :D:) will help you as well.

·
fallschirmjäger
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was paying attention like crazy. I drove during that trip ~800 miles in less then 24h and I was very tired :) I did couple times trips around 1000 miles (back in Europe) but it wasn't so bad.

I have seen such deer warners in local store, but I read on the internet, that they are not so efficient. I guess I will have to keep looking for another idea.

cheers

·
Registered
410 Posts
My mom hit a deer once, then she bought a set of "deer whistles" and put them on.. she called me out to see them, and I said.. "Oh mom! you put them on backwards!! Now you are going to be calling the deer to your car instead of scaring them off!!"

She totally fell for it.. I laughed my butt off, and it actually took me quite awhile to reassure her that I was kidding! It does go to show however, that hitting an animal the size of a deer can be pretty traumatic.

You just have to watch your speed, constantly scan the sides of the road, and yes where there is 1 there are more!! I just about took out 2 deer last night as a matter of fact.. I got the rig stopped just about a foot from hitting them!

-MadMike

·
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh
1,366 Posts
It's Roos we have to worry about here.
Lovely creatures that don't have a clue about road safety. Just like deer in Scotland and I'm sure deer in Saskatchewan too.
We get a lot of Snakes and Big Lizards too. Occasionally a Koala. Awwwwwwww.

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
We have our share of deer crossings here in Missouri. About the only way I know of to keep from hitting one is to slow down and keep my eyes wide open. They can wait until the last second and jump out, 2-3 at a time...mixed reviews on the whistles. Some say they work, others say you just as well stick your head out the window and whistle yourself.

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
Get yourself a good set of driving lights that you can turn on, when no other vehicles are coming towards you. Alot of people use the LightForce lights on their rigs up here, and especially the truckers running up and down the roads. They literally light up the night like the sun would light the day, some are so bright. You stated you are driving a Cobalt, so I don't know how much extra room you have to mount auxillary lights, but seeing the critters is more than half the battle to not hitting them.:D:

·
fallschirmjäger
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys
I think I will go with an extra pair of lights. Next time when I go to see my car dealer I will ask about possibilities of installing extra lights.
I am not convinced about all those anti-deer whistles.
Thanks for all suggestions

·
Registered
72 Posts
like said before, good pair of lights and always scan, if you see one on the side of the road honk and pay attention they may start to run away and then run back towards the road. i have known 2 people that the deer turned and started to walk away and then ran into the side of there car.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
We put deer whitsles on our trucks at work.Most of the drivers are convinced that now, the deer walk into the road to find out what that noise is.

·
Wanderer
477 Posts
Speaking from personal experience good lights, good brakes, a good eye, and a little bit of luck might save ya. A year ago none of the above saved me. I was on my way home from work at about 11 o'clock at night on my motor cycle and had one jump out of a corn field in front of me. No time to react out of the blackness me and the deer danced. I killed the 8 pointer, totaled the bike, and messed my left arm up. A week in the hospital, 37 staples, 6 stiches(antlers punctured my are), a stainless steel plate, 13 screws, and now a year later. My left arm still doesn't work like it should. I have hit many a deer before and missed more than I can count but I am still looking for that great deterrent.

D.

Oh yeah I did have on a helmet if not for it I probably wouldn't be hear My head hit the ground first.

·
fallschirmjäger
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We put deer whitsles on our trucks at work.Most of the drivers are convinced that now, the deer walk into the road to find out what that noise is.
JRNC26, are you a semi truck driver?

I don't have much experience with wild life, but I agree with you. I have actually seen couple times, that at first animals (birds but I guess deers too) run away like hell but later their curiosity prevails and they slowly approach to study "that thing" that scared them first. I guess this might apply to those deer whistles as well, especially if so many drivers have those whistles. I guess that only whistle that makes noises that are painful for deers might be efficient, but then, how would it affect our driving ability.

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
I guess car is from Ontario, eh?

Mad Dog, you and I have different definition of the word "fun" :)

Sarcasm gets lost over the internet.:D: Those lanky bastards have caused more than a few deaths up here. I've had a few jogging beside my truck for up to 1/4 mile, and then decide they could still cross the road in front of me. I think deer are more spontaneous about jumping out in front of you, while moose tend to just stand there in the middle of the road until it's too late.

Or you have to watch for falling moose, like we had this past winter.:D:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23135666/?GT1=10856

·
fallschirmjäger
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sarcasm gets lost over the internet.:D: Those lanky bastards have caused more than a few deaths up here. I've had a few jogging beside my truck for up to 1/4 mile, and then decide they could still cross the road in front of me. I think deer are more spontaneous about jumping out in front of you, while moose tend to just stand there in the middle of the road until it's too late.

Or you have to watch for falling moose, like we had this past winter.:D:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23135666/?GT1=10856
Mad Dog I don't think sarcasm is lost over the internet, but sometimes it's hard to say just by reading someone's post :D: I must admit, that now I get it :thumb:

I have a friend who used to drive in Scandinavia and once he cut a moose in half with his semi truck :) It was very long road in a forest, no other cars so he decided to speed up little bit :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.