Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a tool for every job, including rifle optics. I read the red dot can be used for 100-200 yards, and a scope with magnification is for long distance. Usually an item would serve one purpose or the other, and "fixes" that are supposed to allow you to do both wind up not being great at either.
Is that the case with a red dot with a magnifier? With a 2 moa red dot and a magnifier do you actually have the capacity to make shots out to 300-400 yards?
Is that truly a good way to Shoot out to longer distances or is it more gimmick than fix?
Also, if it really is effective, what do you guys recommend? Mid-range pricing is about where I would feel comfortable.

·
Swirl Herder
4,037 Posts
I know there is a tool for every job, including rifle optics. I read the red dot can be used for 100-200 yards, and a scope with magnification is for long distance. Usually an item would serve one purpose or the other, and "fixes" that are supposed to allow you to do both wind up not being great at either.
Is that the case with a red dot with a magnifier? With a 2 moa red dot and a magnifier do you actually have the capacity to make shots out to 300-400 yards?
Is that truly a good way to Shoot out to longer distances or is it more gimmick than fix?
Also, if it really is effective, what do you guys recommend? Mid-range pricing is about where I would feel comfortable.
I have used both Aimpoint micro with their magnifier and the Eotech EXPS3-2 with their magnifier.

Both worked pretty well - but both also magnify the imperfections of the aiming dot (which ends up looking like more of a blob than a dot at 3X).

The magnifiers are usually flip to the side and quick detach - which can be handy. You can fit a night vision device like a PVS14 behind the red dot when the magnifier is detached.

Yes, you can shoot effectively out to 400 - but the advantage is being able to detach or swing out the magnifier and use the same gun for room clearing (day or night).

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I've shot t2 and g33 as a combo. Dot is super crisp and the g33 glass looks very good. It lacks ranging ability and hold points. Other than that, it's absolutely stellar.

Currently using a leupold MK6 that a buddy gave me though. The 6x and reticle is nice. 1x is pretty spiffy too.

·
Sheepdog
668 Posts
I run a Dagger Defense red dot and a UTG QD sideflip 3X magnifier and love the set up! Easy for QCB but when you need to reach out further that 150 to 200 yards than being able to flip the magnifier into place is a bonus! I don't have any issues with it out past 300 yards! Not to mention the fact that the magnifier helps with quick target identification further out!

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Magnifie...&qid=1487984874&sr=1-1&keywords=utg+magnifier

·
Crazy
5,586 Posts
I got an aim point and the aim point magnifier setting on the Larue flip to slid mount. Spent a bunch of money to realize how stupid that kind of set up is. You really don't need magnification to hit human size targets out to 500 yards.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I got an aim point and the aim point magnifier setting on the Larue flip to slid mount. Spent a bunch of money to realize how stupid that kind of set up is. You really don't need magnification to hit human size targets out to 500 yards.
But can you identify the bad guy friend or foe, out to that distance without magnification? I can't.

·
Viva la revolution!
2,140 Posts
I know im going to get flamed but over 50yds red dots shoot "combat effective" and that is all but useless for civilian shooting. red dots have their place in my opinion in close in shooting, but if your trying to actually kill something at 100yds you need magnification, don't believe me shoot at a coyote silhouette.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've decided on no more red dots and switch to vortex strike eagles 1-6. Illuminated BDC, just as fast as any red dot for me personally, and I get 6x at the top end instead of 3x. I have yet to find a downside to this optic, nor anything that holds a candle to its clarity and performance, even at double the price. I've got a Bushnell elite 1-6 that I got on sale for about a grand, and I really cannot tell any difference in quality or clarity.

·
Swirl Herder
4,037 Posts
I feel sorry for you that you suffer from a disability. Maybe we can send flowers of sympathy cards to make you feel better.
So you can PID/IFF someone at 500 with your eyes reliably enough to decide whether to shoot them or not?

Even in low light, when they are not cooperative enough to wear a particular color or type of clothing or carry a particularly distinctive type of gun?

If so you don't need a magnifier - but plenty of the rest of us do.......

Something else which is not mentioned about red dots at longer range is the ability to call the splash from near misses. Magnifiers dramatically improve the shooters feedback on missed rounds so they can correct with subsequent rounds.

This is just real world practicalities for 5.56 combat rifles.....

·
Swirl Herder
4,037 Posts
Are they shooting at you? Because at 500 yards its not self defense if they are not shooting at you.
Lets say they shot at you 10 minutes ago (from say a 100 yards away) and you identified them before they disappeared.

Now you see armed men at 500 yards that look like them. If you confirm they are the same guys, would you shoot at them?

In a WROL situation, most would - if you can be sure about identity both times.

That is an advantage of magnified optics.....

·
Free-ish Man
1,877 Posts
You don't need a magnifier to reliably make hits from the prone position on a torso size target out to around 5-700 yds or so, unless your eyesight is impaired.

But can you identify the bad guy friend or foe, out to that distance without magnification? I can't.
So you can PID/IFF someone at 500 with your eyes reliably enough to decide whether to shoot them or not?

Even in low light, when they are not cooperative enough to wear a particular color or type of clothing or carry a particularly distinctive type of gun?

At 500 yds. in low light, a typical 4X magnifier is only barely going to be better than the naked eye.

OP, if you want magnification, I would take a look at some of the low power variables out there. I have a Leupold VX-R on one of my rifles and it works great. It's very nearly like using a red dot when on the lowest power but I can turn it up to 4X if I want. I've got a red dot on another rifle. A good quality 1-4 or 1-6 variable scope with illuminated reticle is less expensive than a quality red dot plus magnifier anyway.

·
Crazy
5,586 Posts
Lets say they shot at you 10 minutes ago (from say a 100 yards away) and you identified them before they disappeared.

Now you see armed men at 500 yards that look like them. If you confirm they are the same guys, would you shoot at them?

In a WROL situation, most would - if you can be sure about identity both times.

That is an advantage of magnified optics.....
Some body shoots at me, everyone is getting shot at. Hell, the old lady down the road might get one for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just saying, I dropped the cash and the setup is heavy, cumbersome, and it's not for me. That's why it ended up on a 22lr. It's fun to play with but not for my go to rifles.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

Something else which is not mentioned about red dots at longer range is the ability to call the splash from near misses. Magnifiers dramatically improve the shooters feedback on missed rounds so they can correct with subsequent rounds.

This is just real world practicalities for 5.56 combat rifles.....
What he said was "make hits at 500 yards" All your add-ons are personal issues.

·
Free-ish Man
1,877 Posts
Some body shoots at me, everyone is getting shot at. Hell, the old lady down the road might get one for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just saying, I dropped the cash and the setup is heavy, cumbersome, and it's not for me. That's why it ended up on a 22lr. It's fun to play with but not for my go to rifles.
I agree with you so far on scope selection and application but this is a good way to get yourself killed really quick. The responsibility to positively ID targets doesn't go away just because the "**** has hit the fan". Shooting the neighbor lady is about guaranteed to negatively affect your chances of long term survival.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts