Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided on a Vortex Strike fire, but now I'm debating between the red/green or the red only.

I have heard that the "Red Only" is much brighter than the "Red/Green."

My question is do I really need that much brightness? The battery life on the green goes up significantly.

Any input?

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is my personal experience..you never know what kind of lighting you'll be in. The more dim setting definitely comes into play in darker situations. But if I have sun in my face, I definitely want to have as bright of a dot as I can get so it doesn't get lost in a busy backdrop (woods, heavy urban environment if you're LE/Mil). So my personal preference would be brighter=better.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I've decided on a Vortex Strike fire, but now I'm debating between the red/green or the red only.

My question is do I really need that much brightness? The battery life on the green goes up significantly.

Any input?
I would get the brightest optic you can and dial it down. None of the products you mention have serious battery-life, and none of them have horrible battery life, either.

·
Always Gunnin
535 Posts

Any input?
I run the red/green version. I have several of them and they are plenty bright enough for me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have noticed on really bright days the red does start to fade into the background. But you can still see the red dot. If you have eye problems then there could be a chance that you'll loose the red dot. But other then those very bright days, I don't have a problem with mine red/green

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're shooting with both eyes open, you can keep the cap on the front of the red dot, and your brain will naturally fill in the blanks. We were trained to do that in bright light conditions, and it's plenty effective up to about 150 yards or thereabouts. Beyond that distance, you're better off using iron sights anyway. Red dots are meant for CQB.

I've got an el-cheapo red-green sight from UTG, and I use the highest setting for quick acquisition (green for range targets, red for real-world shooting). I use the lowest setting if I want to shoot out to around 350 yards.

I also lolly-pop the dot when I sight in, so I can avoid having a dinner-plate sized dot taking over my entire target.

·
Native Cracker Cowhunter
1,897 Posts
I believe it's the Viridian web site that has a video explaining how and why green lasers are much better than red in sunlight and or smokey conditions. I use green and they have improved the battery life a lot over the last couple of years.

YMMV

Reactions: jodier7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.