Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into getting a new sight for my sks to replace the rather crude rear sight. I've got the crapco setup on mine(Before you complain about ruining a classic, it was the cheapest was to get a "Assault rifle" when ak's were still over $1000) , and I had the replacement gas tube fitted by a gunsmith, and I don't see even the slightest bit of wobble. I've heard about the gas tube rails being unstable for mounting an optic, but I have no experience with rails. I've narrowed my choice down to either an inexpensive red dot($30-$40), or tech sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/sks.htm). Which one would be a better buy? I've never used either type of sight before, but I've heard that tech sights are far more accurate than the current irons and the TS200's are adjustable for range, and that red dots are better for fast acquisition and low light, but I think It'd sit too high for me to have a cheek weld. I don't have too much trigger time with my sks, since I got it a few days before newtown so I didn't put many rounds through it before ammo skyrocketed, so I don't know much about it's range or capabilities, and that's why I'm here asking you guys, which should I purchase?

·
Shade Tree Gynecologist
3,706 Posts
I don't exactly have money for an ar-15 or the like, seeing as I don't have a source of income. The sks was a gift and I put what money I can into it, it's the cheapest semi auto there is, so I'm making do with what I have and trying to maximize its effectiveness.
Yep, you got to do what you got to do with what you got to do it with. Every time some one asks a gun specific question someone comes along telling someone they don't know how to spend money.

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
I don't exactly have money for an ar-15 or the like, seeing as I don't have a source of income. The sks was a gift and I put what money I can into it, it's the cheapest semi auto there is, so I'm making do with what I have and trying to maximize its effectiveness.
It already came pretty much 'maximized' from the commies. There a couple of updates I recommend though.

1st - get a Murray's firing pin. If you can only do one thing, do that.
2nd - get a sling
3rd - stock up on clips and ammo
4th - (optional -my old eyes appreciate it though) tech rear sights &
Williams fire sights on the front

·
Shade Tree Gynecologist
3,706 Posts
I would also suggest getting the stripper clips and learning how to load as fast as you can. The 30rd detachable ones are cumbersome, hard to carry with that big metal piece sticking out the front and a lot are not very reliable. But, in the end you have to find what works for you.

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,586 Posts
I've been looking into getting a new sight for my sks to replace the rather crude rear sight. I've got the crapco setup on mine(Before you complain about ruining a classic, it was the cheapest was to get a "Assault rifle" when ak's were still over $1000) , and I had the replacement gas tube fitted by a gunsmith, and I don't see even the slightest bit of wobble. I've heard about the gas tube rails being unstable for mounting an optic, but I have no experience with rails. I've narrowed my choice down to either an inexpensive red dot($30-$40), or tech sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/sks.htm). Which one would be a better buy? I've never used either type of sight before, but I've heard that tech sights are far more accurate than the current irons and the TS200's are adjustable for range, and that red dots are better for fast acquisition and low light, but I think It'd sit too high for me to have a cheek weld. I don't have too much trigger time with my sks, since I got it a few days before newtown so I didn't put many rounds through it before ammo skyrocketed, so I don't know much about it's range or capabilities, and that's why I'm here asking you guys, which should I purchase?
I am a HUGE fan of Tech Sights. I have yet to replace the rears on my SKS's with them, but they are the ONLY thing I will use on Mini 14's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SCPigpen, I have the 20 round polymer tapco mags on mine, I only have one 30 rounder that was given to me, but I don't use it. So I don't have to worry about the awkwardness of those big steel mags.

·
Shade Tree Gynecologist
3,706 Posts
SCPigpen, I have the 20 round polymer tapco mags on mine, I only have one 30 rounder that was given to me, but I don't use it. So I don't have to worry about the awkwardness of those big steel mags.
If they are reliable then go with it. I just remember when I had got some for my 1st sks way, way back in the day. Out of the 3 I got only one worked all the time. After that I said screw it and put them away. I guess times have changed. Tapco does seem to make decent stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine work perfectly fine, never had a jam with them. I never cared much for stripper clips, so I switched over to duckbills. I've never used the 30 rounder, so I can't vouch for promag's stuff.

·
Is that all?
855 Posts
Tech sights are definitely a step up from the stock sights, but you might consider mojo sights instead. I only say that because the tech sights make the rifle a little more complicated to take apart, and introduce more small pieces that can be lost. Mojo sights still allow easy, quick field cleanings without the risk of losing small screws, and still give you peep sight accuracy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.