Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
Well, this thread has been dead for only five years, so why not...

I'm not sure what you're saying, but just to clarify, no RDS / EOTech has built-in night vision. They are night vision "compatible", meaning they have a dim setting not visible to the naked eye, which won't bloom when used in conjunction with a night vision device stuck behind it.

Running a "Night Observation Device" ("NOD") behind an RDS isn't the best option if you want to use a weapon at night. The best solution is either using a head-mounted NOD in conjunction with a weapon-mounted IR targeting laser or, in addition to a head-mounted NOD, get either a dedicated NV weapon scope or a clip-on. In any event, using a NOD behind a RDS or EOTech is the least effective option on the list for using a weapon at night. :thumb:
THIS.

The best set up for nods is really a head mounted PVS-14 and an IR laser/illuminator such as the ATPIAL-C or DBAL. With that set up you need about 4500-5000 grand to get properly set up with whatever your current rifle set up is.

The M845 is a great gen 2 NVG scope though for the person on a budget. It is VERY impressive for 1980s technology. I have not had the change to use a PVS-4 but have heard they are great as another budget legacy system.

Rpalmer12 if you are looking to get just a budget red dot for the range go get a Bushnell TRS-25, Vortex Strikefire II, or something from Primary Arms.

If you want a red dot to stake your life on, suck it up and get an Aimpoint. How much is your life worth?

If you think you need night vision make sure you get an Aimpoint with night vision compatibility.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
I was looking at the Vortes Strikefire II...
I've had one...it wasn't bad for the money (you can usually find them for $99.00 at PSA) but it uses a silly battery.

Also, there is a very visible blue discoloration when you look through it.

It isn't a problem just something to be aware of.

It does work with night optics but most Vortex users seem to moving away from the Strikefire towards the the Spark.

What is your intended purpose for the gun it is going on?

That will clear things up.

Do you just need an RDS, or since you posted in a thread about night optics do you need night optic compatibility.

Why do you need night optic compatibility if so?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.