Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know of a red dot or holographic off brand sight that will co-witness with a night vision sight that uses cr 123 batteries. What im looking for is a sight that will use the same batteries as a night vision so i dont have to stock 2 different kinds, and i dont want to pay $600 for a red dot sight. Theirs no way it cost eotech more than $100 to make one and imho their over priced. I would rather buy 6 $100 off brands than 1 eotech. I know that their are gonna be a lot of people to disagree and tell me "you get what you pay for" and other valuable cliche's, and people that try to overwhelm the situation with their vast knowledge of shooting and sights and tell me that im wrong. Please im begging if this is possible please just let me know and offer a soultion. If im not being specific enough or you need more info please ask.

Ahead of time Thanks 2 Everyone and this website

·
Registered
395 Posts
You say you want help and then you clarify that you don't want help if it costs more. Why post? It looks like you already made up your mind. Go buy your $100 optic. China makes a bunch of them.

·
Premium Member
68,762 Posts
I know this is not the answer that you're looking for. But I'd reconsider on the batteries. Night vision that uses AAs will be easier to feed in the long run if it's compatible with rechargeables. Many are, some aren't. They go through batteries pretty quick.

And if matching batteries aren't critical, Vortex makes some very robust and durable reflex sights that are compatible with night vision devices. They're affordable too. The Strikefire uses standard 30mm rings so you can adjust the height by getting the right ring. The SPARC has a number of adapters and spacers, so that you can set the height to whatever you need it to be. Both units are under $200.

Otherwise I don't know what to suggest as far as low dollar, high quality reflex sights that use 123s.

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
I'm a bit curious about what NV system you are planning on using.
Didn't you know, the actual generation of NV can be had for 50 bucks. So why bother paying 600 for a NV compatible red dot sight like EO-Tech or Aimpoint?

:rolleyes:

I also would not invest 600 bucks for a NV compatible red dot sight. Why should one mount such a thing on a 80 bucks Airsoft M4?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
What kind of night vision uses the 123's?

OP: Instead of coming into this all this is what i am wanting and this is how I want to do it maybe ask a broader question. If what you really wanted to know about is battery compliance between your NV unit and red dot that's the question you need to ask. It helps us give you recommendations.

Price range is a concern, use and environment are concerns, and your ultimate goals are a concern. Nothing here is really a matter of cheap, you want quality gear you need to pony up the $ for it. Especially when your talking night vision.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright let me try again... I have 4 colt le m4's and 4 arsenal ak-74's 2 dpms panther lr 308 4 psl 54c's and 4 finnish m39's vkts and bs and 4 benelli m1 super 90's. What i want to do is put day/night ATN gen 2 cgi on the m4s. I want to put gen 1's on the ak's. I want to put red dots on the benellis also, I would like them all to b uniform and have the same batteries if possible. Everything listed except shotguns will have nv on it. Now the panthers and m39s are easy there getting leupolds no batteries their unless i get illuminated but prob wont. The com bloc weapons are back ups and i dont need top notch on them so gen 1 is perfect (minds made up there). My thing is theres alot of money here and i try to skimp where i can I have used 100 dollar red dot sights for years that are durable and they work fine for me and the ranges im using them at. I believe i can save alot of money not using eotech or aimpoint. It is my opinion that they are overpriced and marked up high for their name (minds made up there 2). I believe something comparable can b had for 100-200( any suggestions on those items) the ones i have use watch batteries. Now please instead of trying to make me feel like an idoit offer solutions. What is the best way i can accomplish what I WANT. (I have my reasons please dont assume you know better) who has this knowledge or experience? What combinations would you use with batteries and sights and nv that you think would be best. I am open to diffent systems different batteries AA AAA C D it doesnt matter as long as i dont have to store a bunch of different ones.

IDEALLY(may not b possible) i would like to have (red dot you suggest other than eotech ) + (Night vision you suggest) + (all using the same batteries)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been looking at the eotech 552', but $600? I'm not set in my ways. I like the fact it use 2 AA's as well as the alleged durabillty.

Ok, in saying this I realize anything that has night vision is gonna cost more.

Is there anything comparible for say $200-$250 that someone has used and would recommend?

I won't be using it much if that helps any...

Thanks

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
I've been looking at the eotech 552', but $600? I'm not set in my ways. I like the fact it use 2 AA's as well as the alleged durabillty.

Ok, in saying this I realize anything that has night vision is gonna cost more.

Is there anything comparible for say $200-$250 that someone has used and would recommend?

I won't be using it much if that helps any...

Thanks
Well, this thread has been dead for only five years, so why not...

I'm not sure what you're saying, but just to clarify, no RDS / EOTech has built-in night vision. They are night vision "compatible", meaning they have a dim setting not visible to the naked eye, which won't bloom when used in conjunction with a night vision device stuck behind it.

Running a "Night Observation Device" ("NOD") behind an RDS isn't the best option if you want to use a weapon at night. The best solution is either using a head-mounted NOD in conjunction with a weapon-mounted IR targeting laser or, in addition to a head-mounted NOD, get either a dedicated NV weapon scope or a clip-on. In any event, using a NOD behind a RDS or EOTech is the least effective option on the list for using a weapon at night. :thumb:

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
Well, this thread has been dead for only five years, so why not...

I'm not sure what you're saying, but just to clarify, no RDS / EOTech has built-in night vision. They are night vision "compatible", meaning they have a dim setting not visible to the naked eye, which won't bloom when used in conjunction with a night vision device stuck behind it.

Running a "Night Observation Device" ("NOD") behind an RDS isn't the best option if you want to use a weapon at night. The best solution is either using a head-mounted NOD in conjunction with a weapon-mounted IR targeting laser or, in addition to a head-mounted NOD, get either a dedicated NV weapon scope or a clip-on. In any event, using a NOD behind a RDS or EOTech is the least effective option on the list for using a weapon at night. :thumb:
THIS.

The best set up for nods is really a head mounted PVS-14 and an IR laser/illuminator such as the ATPIAL-C or DBAL. With that set up you need about 4500-5000 grand to get properly set up with whatever your current rifle set up is.

The M845 is a great gen 2 NVG scope though for the person on a budget. It is VERY impressive for 1980s technology. I have not had the change to use a PVS-4 but have heard they are great as another budget legacy system.

Rpalmer12 if you are looking to get just a budget red dot for the range go get a Bushnell TRS-25, Vortex Strikefire II, or something from Primary Arms.

If you want a red dot to stake your life on, suck it up and get an Aimpoint. How much is your life worth?

If you think you need night vision make sure you get an Aimpoint with night vision compatibility.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
I was looking at the Vortes Strikefire II...
I've had one...it wasn't bad for the money (you can usually find them for $99.00 at PSA) but it uses a silly battery.

Also, there is a very visible blue discoloration when you look through it.

It isn't a problem just something to be aware of.

It does work with night optics but most Vortex users seem to moving away from the Strikefire towards the the Spark.

What is your intended purpose for the gun it is going on?

That will clear things up.

Do you just need an RDS, or since you posted in a thread about night optics do you need night optic compatibility.

Why do you need night optic compatibility if so?

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
Vortex, Lucid, PRO, Bushnell, etc -- all of them make very respectable RDS in the $200 price range. I have a Lucid stuck on a SG Works Bullpup SKS and it works great. Sure, I love my Trijicon / Aimpoint / EOTech better, but sticking a $600+ optic on a $500 gun just doesn't sit right with me. I wouldn't think twice about the Vortex. Not much better out there for the money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know this is not the answer that you're looking for. But I'd reconsider on the batteries. Night vision that uses AAs will be easier to feed in the long run if it's compatible with rechargeables. Many are, some aren't. They go through batteries pretty quick.

And if matching batteries aren't critical, Vortex makes some very robust and durable reflex sights that are compatible with night vision devices. They're affordable too. The Strikefire uses standard 30m rings
I watched a video and they didn't shows rings being the adjustment for the vortex strikefire II. Yeah, battery life sucks. I did like the fact the other used 2 AA's.

Use: see neighbors being yanked out of homes and being slaughtered. Right now I have a 16x Nikon mounted and can hit a heads hot at 200 yards (farthest our range goes), but it takes time to focus. Specs I read on vortex said no blue tint or fogging in cold. Hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.