Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While not as bad a health threat as ticks these insects from hell are designed to torment mankind and will get in places on your body even you cannot reach. I always go into the woods with long sleeves and long pants as well as socks. I tuck in sometimes but always wipe my wrists neck and legs with those Off wipes with Deet.
Still ocassionally one the vermin will get through and it is time for the old country cure. Put butter over the bite.
When I was a kid the next door neighbors kids got into a bunch of chiggers and the northerners asked my mother if there was anything she knew of to take care of the chiggers ( her Doctor husband had tried all of modern medicine cures with no sucess ) she did the butter thing and her husband started perscribing butter to his patients.
Personally there are few living creatures I would like to see extinct but chiggers top the list for me.

·
Antique Nurse
644 Posts
Lye soap is also effective for poison ivy.

Btw.... Goats love to eat poison ivy!

Reactions: mgd_only

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Thanks for the tip on using butter.
Anything that works on these pest (actually beyong the pest rating), is worth knowing about.
We used clear fingernail polish and it seemed to work to a point.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I think we should drop them in Afganstan and we will not have to worry about al-querdo. I know what a mean thing to do to chiggers.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Yeah clear nail polish remover works wonders with Chiggers. Though don't get to many in Wisconsin, I use to get tons in Florida. If I ever get one again I'll try the butter method out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We always did the fingernail polish thing also, I had never heard of the butter one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts