Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has taken me a long time to understand how a re-curved blade chops better than a straight blade. A kukri is a chopper.

If you ever had to stab with a Kukri style blade, it could get a little squirrely on you. The hog hunters who use knives are probably in situations or contortions where a kukri blade could be deflected back on your self. OUCH! A kukri in the neck of a pig would, definitely drop it quicker. An increase in curve, length, and weight add to chopping ability of a knife. At some point a blade becomes too long, too curved, or too heavy and becomes unwieldy. Maybe these knives just need different techniques or a big burly guy using it. I don't know. The size of the ideal knife, depends on the size of the person. I don't think you could whack a hogs head off with a supper sharp kukri, unless it's one you measure in feet.

If you made a spear with a kukri, lash it to a stick, it would not be as effective as a straight blade. It would make hitting your mark tougher, and the leverage of the curved blade would put much more stress on your lashing material and stick. The knife could come loose or break the stick.

This DART knife by Tops, looks like a pretty good compromise design, between a straight bowie and a curved kukri. The spine of the knife has a slight curve to add to the curve of the edge. :xeye:

Lots of bla bla bla I know. What do ya'll think?

Attachments

·
V
21,713 Posts
Looking at that knife gives me the same kind of tingly feeling I used to get sliding down the rope in gym class :eek:::taped::xeye:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have no doubt that kukris must make good choppers, and I wouldn't mind having one myself, but if I had to choose between a kukri and the Tops DART, I would take the DART any day. I just think that straight blades are more versatile. Good point with the spear-making example. I imagine batoning would be difficult too.

The reason a kukri would chop better than the DART, though, is because when the kukri blade strikes the wood, it also moves along the line of the cut, slicing the wood. With large straight blades, you pretty much just have the blade coming straight down on the wood with the force being transferred straight into the wood instead of slicing sideways.

Does that make sense?

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
I have no doubt that kukris must make good choppers, and I wouldn't mind having one myself, but if I had to choose between a kukri and the Tops DART, I would take the DART any day. I just think that straight blades are more versatile. Good point with the spear-making example. I imagine batoning would be difficult too.

The reason a kukri would chop better than the DART, though, is because when the kukri blade strikes the wood, it also moves along the line of the cut, slicing the wood. With large straight blades, you pretty much just have the blade coming straight down on the wood with the force being transferred straight into the wood instead of slicing sideways.

Does that make sense?
Yes that does make sense.

also with a kukri more power is transfered to the chop and not so much power transfered back up through your arm.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I know this is common knowledge to you guys, just my 2 pence.

Kukris and golloks/parangs have more weight at the tip of the blade, letting the weight of the blade do the chopping is far easier and safer than thrashing away with a large straight knife.

For versatility I think I would choose a Kukri over a straight blade knife.

I posted this months ago.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=6355&highlight=kukri+cow+chop

Somewhere there's a video of some guys slaughtering goats with smaller kukris.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Doesn't matter to me what Tops you get because they are all good. I do like the look and design of this knife. Wait until you hold a Tops. Even if it appears to be smaller than some of your other knives, it's heavier. It is a solid as a knife can get. Worth the price.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Thanx for a good thread. I have a khukri, but I really like that Tops. I would love to have a close look at one. Anyone know if they sell them Downunder, and a rough US$ price? Will trawl the Net....

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
It has taken me a long time to understand how a re-curved blade chops better than a straight blade. A kukri is a chopper.

If you ever had to stab with a Kukri style blade, it could get a little squirrely on you. The hog hunters who use knives are probably in situations or contortions where a kukri blade could be deflected back on your self. OUCH! A kukri in the neck of a pig would, definitely drop it quicker. An increase in curve, length, and weight add to chopping ability of a knife. At some point a blade becomes too long, too curved, or too heavy and becomes unwieldy. Maybe these knives just need different techniques or a big burly guy using it. I don't know. The size of the ideal knife, depends on the size of the person. I don't think you could whack a hogs head off with a supper sharp kukri, unless it's one you measure in feet.

If you made a spear with a kukri, lash it to a stick, it would not be as effective as a straight blade. It would make hitting your mark tougher, and the leverage of the curved blade would put much more stress on your lashing material and stick. The knife could come loose or break the stick.

This DART knife by Tops, looks like a pretty good compromise design, between a straight bowie and a curved kukri. The spine of the knife has a slight curve to add to the curve of the edge. :xeye:

Lots of bla bla bla I know. What do ya'll think?
I have three kukhris. basically they are in between an axe, machete and a large knife. Acually I think they are a little moire versatile than a bowie knife in the 12 inch plus range. I'll try to get a few pics. Go big on the khukri, not small. They are lethal choppers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yup I love Gurkhas and have posted my thoughts about them in other threads only to be widely ignored. People are resistant to changes in thier ways of thinking. To me, a Gurkha is the best survivor knife there is.

You can do so many more things with a Gurkha, and not just do them, but do them well, and comfortably than with a straight edged knife.

As far as attaching my knife to the end of a pole to make a make shift spear, I have always found that argument to be a but unpractical. First off, if I was in a survival situation I would not be attaching any knife to the end of a pole unless I absolutly had to. Thats a very good way to lose or damage beyond field repair the most important tool you have in your arsenal. Instead if I found myself needing to make a spear, Id simply use one of the several nails I always include in my packs with me, which also come in handy with shelter building, but of course make pretty good spear points.

Straight knives are for rambo movies when your preparing to slice someones throat.

Gurkhas can also slice someones throat, but they do everything else as well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
aahhhh thanks for the correction! I see them called both and have always wondered what the deal was or if there was any difference.

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
Anybody have any experience with the Kershaw "Ken Onion" Outcast, Kukri style knife (machete). Has about a 12" blade, which is almost .25" thick and made of D2 steel which is much more durable than the 1055 carbon that the Cold Steel kukris are made of. The price is about $75 however. Many people us this as a smaller machete and the Kershaw blade is very sharp out of the box.
I'm considering getting one. Is it worth it? Or would I do better with a longer kukri in another brand?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Thanx for a good thread. I have a khukri, but I really like that Tops. I would love to have a close look at one. Anyone know if they sell them Downunder, and a rough US$ price? Will trawl the Net....
I bought one from this company and because of the good service and quick delivery, I've purchased other knives from them as well.

Dante's Knife Works:

http://www.dantesknife.com/TOPS Knives.htm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts